Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Van spare wheel security
Heather

posted on 10/2/11 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
Van spare wheel security

I thought that I would ask here about van spare wheel security as manufacturer forums are biased and I know you guys are always very helpful.

I am administrator for a fleet of Transits and am having real problems with thefts of spare wheels, the answer I have had from Ford is that Transit has won best in class for spare wheel protection so basically aren't interested.

What are peoples experiences with the spares on their vans and how do other manufacturers fasten their spare wheels on.

We have started to take the spare wheel off and carry it on the shelf above the cab but this is not ideal.

Thanks
Heather

Humbug

posted on 10/2/11 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
I know nothing about other vans, but could you use a (motor)bike wheel locking cable (3 or 4 feet of curly plastic covered steel cable with a lock on the end) to attach them to a frame/towing eye?

e.g. this
If you get the key-operated ones the key could be left on a ring with the door/ignition key

spewing

posted on 10/2/11 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
I dont know how the Transit spare wheel carrier does up but some time ago someone told me to put the spare in with the valve up so that if its secured from within the van someone cant let the tyre down so they can slide it out of the carrier.
Ninehigh

posted on 10/2/11 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Heather
We have started to take the spare wheel off and carry it on the shelf above the cab but this is not ideal.

Thanks
Heather

Why not? That's where I always had them (no idea where they actually went on a Vivaro!)

fleetangel

posted on 16/1/13 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Heather, I run a company called fleet-angel we sell locks and GPS trackers for fleet use, I have had a lot of enquirys of late ref spare wheel theft from Transit Vans at the moment we are currently looking at a couple of options to secure, I will come

quote:
Originally posted by Heather
I thought that I would ask here about van spare wheel security as manufacturer forums are biased and I know you guys are always very helpful.

I am administrator for a fleet of Transits and am having real problems with thefts of spare wheels, the answer I have had from Ford is that Transit has won best in class for spare wheel protection so basically aren't interested.

What are peoples experiences with the spares on their vans and how do other manufacturers fasten their spare wheels on.

Thanks
Heather

[Edited on 16/01/2013 by fleetangel]

fleetangel

posted on 16/1/13 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
come back to you if thats OK with any solutions that we have.

Heather

posted on 7/2/13 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Fleetangel I have responded to your u2u
jossey

posted on 7/2/13 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
Same issue on the ducato which is why most put them in the van. Given mine is a campervan I have welded on two bits of chain to the floor under the van. The chain goes through the wheel then padlocked under the wheel. Just need to do something with the cat as they are stolen often too.

I have head that people get lockable cages made which probably Cost more than the wheel.

David

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 7/2/13 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
I use old an old MK5 Transit, the wheel theft problem was solved with an Oxford motorcycle chain looped around the tow bar and attached through the hub flange bolts on the wheel. It has stopped the theft of the wheel.

Unfortunately, it does nothing to stop the diesel theft from the tank (or the Environment Agency serving me a penalty notice for the subsequent spill when the thief was interrupted by a passer-by).

I have a friend (yes, really), who runs a later type Ducato - he keeps getting his wing mirrors stolen(!!??)

I love this country and it's citizens.

MikeRJ

posted on 7/2/13 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by motorcycle_mayhem
I love this country and it's citizens.

Sometimes karma does catch up with them.

rusty nuts

posted on 7/2/13 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by motorcycle_mayhem

I have a friend (yes, really), who runs a later type Ducato - he keeps getting his wing mirrors stolen(!!??)

Had the door mirrors pinched from my old Mini pick up

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.