Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ebay and people (rant warning)
Richard Quinn

posted on 15/2/11 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
Ebay and people (rant warning)

As most of you will know I have my car as a classified on ebay. It is listed at 6995 but does have a facility to make an offer. In the ad I have made it clear that I am interested in swaps/deals/trades for something interesting with cash either way. From this I would assume that it is quite clear that I really don't need to sell the car to make this month's mortgage payment so what do people hope to achieve from making ridiculously low offers? Do they just hope that I'll click on "accept" by mistake? If someone offered say 5k as an opening gambit I could sort of understand it but so far I've had an offer of 2000 and an offer of 750!
Ok, I know that ebay does attract some numpties but what makes these people tick?

pdm

posted on 15/2/11 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
you wait - if you dont sell it you'll be inudated with people messaging saying ooh sorry I missed the end of your ad/auction will you accept a £1 !!!!

It's a nightmare these days but it's the only option realistically !!

Davey D

posted on 15/2/11 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
Just ignore them, and dont waste any of your energy even thinking about replying ( even though you might be wanting to tell them to feck right off, and them stab them in their eyes with a blunt intrument)

a while ago i was selling a 2yr old laptop that originally cost me £1500. i was hoping to sell it for around the £400+ . i ended up pulling the orignial auction as i had made a mistake in the listing. i got loads of people messaging me with stupid offers because they thought it hadnt sold

i just ignored them all, and re-listed it with correct details, and it sold for what i wanted

deezee

posted on 15/2/11 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
My pet hate when selling cars is stupid offers regarding "Cash". What do people think I'll accept for payment for a car? That perhaps I provide credit facilities, or maybe I can process their job seekers allowance? The incentive of cash will not make me sell my car for half its value. Then they get all abusive when I tell them that of course it cash and no, I shall not sell it for half the price.

Mr Whippy

posted on 15/2/11 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
always made me laugh when folk come round to buy a car a wave cash in your face thinking I'd accept less yeah right go off to the cash machine and get some more...

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
femster87

posted on 15/2/11 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
Lol, ebay.

I listed my phone, before I got back to my ebay I had a message already offering me £100 less than the actual value. When I replied to say no that I know what its worth and what I want, the joker replied to say its above his estimate of whats its worth. 3 days later item sold for £20 more that its estimate surprise surprise Mr Estimate won it. I was cheeky enough to ask him if he got a loan to be able to stretch over his estimate. I got no replies

Just play along with the Jokers its good fun. No need to get worked up

BigFaceDave

posted on 15/2/11 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
I had a message from someone offering £350 and there was no point in holding out for more because I wouldn't get anymore than that! Then when someone made me a offer I couldn't refuse I ended the auction and it had only just reached £500 on eBay when I withdrew the listing then I had a email from the same guy saying I told you that is all it's worth! (despite the bidding being higher than his offer) but I did take great delight in telling him that I got over £1000 more than what he thought it was worth and wished him good luck finding a descent quality car like mine was for what he wanted to pay which he must have taken offence with as I had quite a colourful email back from him!
Surrey Dave

posted on 15/2/11 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
Lowest Price

You can configure ebay to automatically reject offers below a figure of your choice then you would not be involved with twits!

Twits! I'm obviously feeling polite today......................

The Venom Project

posted on 15/2/11 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
eBay :-)

I have bought and sold stuff on eBay for over 10 years now, and the amount of idiots on there is unreal, only in the UK do I get stupid offers and ripped off too. I had my custom Teardrop on for sale 3 weeks ago, all fully loaded with Projector, Leisure battery, inverter etc etc, all for 2 prices, first price to take the caravan as just a sleeper no gear, or meet the sensible reserve and take it fully loaded. A guy placed a bid and after several people watching (56) it sold for £520, so you would think after reading the spec, and the listing clearly stating even if reserve not met, the caravan will sell, but noooooooo, the tosser winner contacts me 2 mins before the end of the auction to say he was hoping the reserve would be met by his first bid of £500, so now it doesn't look very appealing.

I decided to keep it in my garage till June, then relist and see what happens.

eBay is mainly a good place to list things, but it does have its fair share of plonkers and scammers

Good luck with the sale though :-)

Will you take £200 and a jar or Lemon Curd?

It's not that i'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.....

steve m

posted on 15/2/11 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
But equally there are twits out there willing to pay more than book price,

I got £500 more than mint condition price on my old rover 75, that was not mint condition

loggyboy

posted on 15/2/11 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
Ebay should really intruduce a system that only allows offers withing chooseable tollereance. Ok that way you would still get some low offers, but at least it would cut out all the tits that are just messing around. I wouldnt be suprised that if you accepted either of those low offers they would still back out or mess you around!
speedyxjs

posted on 15/2/11 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
But equally there are twits out there willing to pay more than book price,

I got £500 more than mint condition price on my old rover 75, that was not mint condition

A few weeks ago there was a thread about a renault part (i forget what it was) that sold for much more than the rrp despite the rrp being listed in the auction lol

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

daviep

posted on 15/2/11 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Venom Project
I have bought and sold stuff on eBay for over 10 years now, and the amount of idiots on there is unreal, only in the UK do I get stupid offers and ripped off too. I had my custom Teardrop on for sale 3 weeks ago, all fully loaded with Projector, Leisure battery, inverter etc etc, all for 2 prices, first price to take the caravan as just a sleeper no gear, or meet the sensible reserve and take it fully loaded. A guy placed a bid and after several people watching (56) it sold for £520, so you would think after reading the spec, and the listing clearly stating even if reserve not met, the caravan will sell, but noooooooo, the tosser winner contacts me 2 mins before the end of the auction to say he was hoping the reserve would be met by his first bid of £500, so now it doesn't look very appealing.

I decided to keep it in my garage till June, then relist and see what happens.

eBay is mainly a good place to list things, but it does have its fair share of plonkers and scammers

Good luck with the sale though :-)

Will you take £200 and a jar or Lemon Curd?

TBH this doesn't make sense to me, how can it still sell if it doesn't make the reserve?

Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

blakep82

posted on 15/2/11 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Ebay should really intruduce a system that only allows offers withing chooseable tollereance. Ok that way you would still get some low offers, but at least it would cut out all the tits that are just messing around. I wouldnt be suprised that if you accepted either of those low offers they would still back out or mess you around!

see what surrey dave said

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

loggyboy

posted on 15/2/11 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
quote:

Doh!

big_wasa

posted on 15/2/11 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
yeh ive had a guy wanting me to end an auction, three meassages but he only wants to pay £4
001Ben

posted on 15/2/11 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
if anyone wants to make an offer:

Ebay Link

bimbleuk

posted on 16/2/11 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
quote:

Doh!

Flip side to setting limits which drives me nuts (OK maybe a slight over exaggeration) on buy it now or offer auctions is when in reality you can't make an offer because the limits are set within a few quid of the buy it now button! At the very least come back with a counter offer not just a refuseal, where's the fun in that.

Last time this happened I would have bought the item at the buy it now price but because I could make an offer it would be silly not to. When my last offer was less than a tenner away (the item was around £200) I thought "sod you then" and didn't bother There's always more auctions.

[Edited on 16-2-11 by bimbleuk]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.