Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Real world performance
danny84

posted on 19/2/11 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
Real world performance

When ive cleared my bank loan i plan on getting some kind of BEC,maybe mk indy or Mac 1.What in terms of powerfull road cars available today would make a good "AHEM" race.
IE. early blade is a fast as ...?
R1 can be compered to...?
ZX 10 etc etc...
I know 0-60 times have been posted on here before but thats all well and good on a strip not the twistys.I know theres a load of variables so maybe stick to the 2 makes above coz i think those would be in my budjet circa 8-8.5k.
Cheers Danny
PS anyone in Durham area can show me around their car so i know exactly what im looking at.Maybe in the summer months.

Dangle_kt

posted on 19/2/11 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a carbed blade - and its as fast as.

Nah seriously the differences between a blade to an r1 are negligible, I;ve done some time in both and the seat of my pants couldn;t feel any difference.

Never been in a zx10r, busa etc so can't comment on them - but it will be 10th of a second I'd guess as you move from one engine to the next.

I'm not convinced the extra price tag is worth it to be honest, which is why I'm more than happy with the car I have.

In the corners its got less to do with the engine and more to do with the driver and the setup.

tomgregory2000

posted on 19/2/11 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Dought its a fast as mine i have a propper engine and propper tyres now

with my old engine, vaux red top on carbs in my viento i had a race with an e46 M3 and i won (just) all 3 races we had and that was with about 170bhp and 600-650kg running through a type 9 with a 3.92 diff ratio and skinny 205 normal tyres

B120WNY

posted on 19/2/11 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
Danny, my mate has a Mac Worx ZX10R turbo, 300-350bhp which will be on the road round about about May time if you'd like a run out in that he wouldn't mind.
danny84

posted on 19/2/11 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
MMM interestin.
Ok then put it this way if a guy in a mitzi evo 340 wanted a sport what would i need to embarras him.I want scary.I used to have a scooby WRX with 260 brake and got used to the power so i really want QUICK.Are these cars really scary quick.
B120WNY cheers mate that would be something to look forward to if you can pm me with a contact name and no. i'll get in touch nearer the time.

[Edited on 19/2/11 by danny84]

pdm

posted on 19/2/11 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
never been in one but given it'll be at least 300bhp/tonne, sequential box, doing 10,000 rpm exiting through an exhaust near your ears and you'll only be a few inches off the ground, what on earth does real world fast mean anyway

Surely it'll feel like you're doing a million miles an hour anyway !!!

danny84

posted on 19/2/11 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pdm
never been in one but given it'll be at least 300bhp/tonne, sequential box, doing 10,000 rpm exiting through an exhaust near your ears and you'll only be a few inches off the ground, what on earth does real world fast mean anyway

Surely it'll feel like you're doing a million miles an hour anyway !!!

HA! suppose your right mate i'm only used to comfy practical car fast not arse 2 inches off the floor with a bike helmet on fast

brookie

posted on 19/2/11 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
well i have an mk with the 919 blade engine and it fast but also i been in a zx10r powered mk and that was a lot faster i had the chance to buy the said zx10r indy and now wished i did but never mind i will keep the 1 i got for next 1/2 years then upgrade then but i now the zx10r indy is still for sale and it an 2006 plate one as well
macspeedy

posted on 19/2/11 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
i would get a shot in one!

I have converted a builder into bec's

so happens that i am selling my indy bec, price reduction about to happen !

not sure where you are, but without wanting to sound like i am bragging i have build pics i can send...

pistonheads linky....

Mk Indy

any questions or would like to see more send me a u2u..

[Edited on 19/2/11 by macspeedy]

beaver34

posted on 19/2/11 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
on the road your never going to use them to full potential, so i dont think you would notice a massive difference,

track would be difference on long straight etc....

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 19/2/11 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
When I was taken for a ride in the Mac#1 ZX10R I was taken round the same lanes as I had just been blasting round in my 350bhp Audi S4.

There was absolutely no comparison, at all. The S4 was hugely capable on rough lanes (massive grip, huge torque) but the Mac#1 made it feel like a bus. the only thing I have been in that even came near the Mac#1 for speed was a Porsche 993 GT2 Lightweight problem is they're about £200,000

Next day I applied to voluntarily terminate the finance on the S4 and started looking for a BEC project.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
danny84

posted on 19/2/11 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
I think the time to buy isn't going to be until next summer realistically.I just cant get enough of looking in the classifieds and you tube vids.Just getting as much info as possible coz the last thing i want to do is buy something that feels fast at first then get used to it.Even though my racing days are long gone being married with kid its nice to have the element of surprise up your sleave.

doctor derek thats what i want to hear maybe putting a turbo on too would make the bec untouchable GOD i can't wait.Only one problem the wife wants another baby in return is that a good deal???

[Edited on 19/2/11 by danny84]

Mr G

posted on 19/2/11 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Whatever you buy your 'going to get used to it' .... (a bit like your girlfiend/wife/other half!) thats the problem

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

eddie99

posted on 19/2/11 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
As Mr G said, whatever you buy, you will get used to it.... No matter how stupidly fast it is, you will always want faster, especially if your that type of person

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
skippad

posted on 19/2/11 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
MK 1400zzr 190bhp fast...
But yer still want more, if i had the dosh i'd turbo it.
I'm in Hartlepool if you want a ride...but when it gets warmer!
I had 893 blade in it before the 'kwak, pedestrian compared to zzr.
Before that i had another MK with XE red top, plenty torque, performance similar to blade,
but it was slow compared to zzr.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
danny84

posted on 19/2/11 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skippad
MK 1400zzr 190bhp fast...
But yer still want more, if i had the dosh i'd turbo it.
I'm in Hartlepool if you want a ride...but when it gets warmer!
I had 893 blade in it before the 'kwak, pedestrian compared to zzr.
Before that i had another MK with XE red top, plenty torque, performance similar to blade,
but it was slow compared to zzr.
#

A friend of mine is planning on getting a factory built MNR with zxr14 power if he's not got it by the summer i'll be in touch.The more variants i can experience the better. Cheers

tilly819

posted on 19/2/11 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
i went out with a mate last year and we found are selves an audi R8.

i think he felt like he had spent more than he needed too

blackbird roadster 330bhp/ton and two BIG lads

tilly

F20C Haynes roadster 440 BHP/Tonne www.youtube.com/handmadeextreme

carpmart

posted on 19/2/11 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tilly819
i went out with a mate last year and we found are selves an audi R8.

i think he felt like he had spent more than he needed too

blackbird roadster 330bhp/ton and two BIG lads

tilly

Thats the way to do it!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

skippad

posted on 19/2/11 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
I was on a trackday at Teesside Autodrome a couple of years ago and there were couple of oriental lads who turned up
in new top notch Subaru Imprezza, they spent a couple of laps trying to keep up with me (loads of drifting and smoking tyres!) They followed me into pits, came to have look at car and "How big is your engine?" 1.4 i says, "1.4?? you joke with us no?"...
They jumped in their Imprezza and buggered off home....
Didnt come back haha

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 19/2/11 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I was on a trackday at Teesside Autodrome a couple of years ago and there were couple of oriental lads who turned up
in new top notch Subaru Imprezza, they spent a couple of laps trying to keep up with me (loads of drifting and smoking tyres!) They followed me into pits, came to have look at car and "How big is your engine?" 1.4 i says, "1.4?? you joke with us no?"...
Didnt come back haha

Alot of track performance is down to the driver though, last year I ended up on a Caterham/westfeild track day at Castle Combe in a BMW E30 325 Estate, I spent the entire day trying to get past the bloody things as they pottered around seemingly scared shitless of their own cars.

I know that if they were pushing I would have been the slowest on track but its about confidence in your car and ability.

hobzy

posted on 19/2/11 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Derek Doctors
quote:
Didnt come back haha

Alot of track performance is down to the driver though, last year I ended up on a Caterham/Westfield track day at Castle Combe in a BMW E30 325 Estate, I spent the entire day trying to get past the bloody things as they pottered around seemingly scared shitless of their own cars.

I know that if they were pushing I would have been the slowest on track but its about confidence in your car and ability.

I'd second that. Before the r1 Indy I had a Works Mini (new one not old one - though I had one of those too years ago) that I had track fettled to 245 bhp, r888s, and coilovers etc. I'm still no where near as quick on the road over a distance in the indy as I was in that because I just haven't quite had the bottle to give reach its potential on the corners, as I haven't done a track day in it yet. 500 miles on track in the Mini meant I knew its every quirk. No doubt though, acceleration and FEELING of speed is ridiculous in the R1. My mate has a Caterham as his daily driver and he pisses all over me through the twisties because he can drive it so confidently.

(that and stuffing it in the rain twice has made my butt clench a bit more - must get some track miles in when its back on the road.)

Steve Hignett

posted on 20/2/11 at 01:34 AM Reply With Quote
Not that I am anything approaching an authority on such matters. But my target BEC would be:

450 kilos or less (but not less than 400)
200bhp (but not much more)

I believe this would give the best handling/driving/accelerating properties...

(and this is coming from someone building a 550bhp car weighing in the region of 425 kilos) - it will be Undriveable...

At 450 ish kilos, it will be pretty stable on the road, if you end up to close to 400 kilos in a car, you will start to suffer to much from the average road conditions, and being sent across an entire carriage-way just to a little imperfection when your foot is buried is not fun for your arse...

And similarly, if you can't plant your foot in the dry and avoid wheelspin in the first three gears then it's wasted power...

So that's my theory, take it or leave it!

Obviously, if you are below these figures then you then have to bear a budget in mind - ie making your car light takes relatively little money, making your car Properly light costs a fair bit...

Having 130bhp in a Blade engine can cost as little as £400, having 140bhp (and a slightly less strong gearbox) in an R1 can cost £600 plus...
I know where my money would be going at that end of the scale...

ATB
Steve

progers

posted on 20/2/11 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett

Having 130bhp in a Blade engine can cost as little as £400, having 140bhp (and a slightly less strong gearbox) in an R1 can cost £600 plus...
I know where my money would be going at that end of the scale...

ATB
Steve

R1's are 150 as standard and are typically closer to 160 with a good exhaust and airbox. They are significantly faster than a carb'd blade. As for gearbox, only th 98 R1 had issues there. 99 onwards where as strong if not better than the blade. You should see the number of RGB blade cars that are having their gearboxes rebuilt every year.... I had an R1 for 3 years and never had one rebuilt.

- Paul

andyfiggy2002

posted on 20/2/11 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
you pays your money you takes your choice, forget engine power & listen to colin chapman of lotus fame, lightness is everything to performance, handling, braking etc, my little blade may only have 130bhp but im nearly down to less than 400kg, 0-60 in 4 secs keeps a smile on my face, why do you need more besides the biggest weight in any BEC is you, get down that gym i say
danny84

posted on 20/2/11 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
At the end of the day the car i'm going to buy will already be built and then i can take it away and tweak it to my liking.Making it lighter wont cost me anything apart from my time as i work as a cnc programmer so i could knock up a few bits and bobs from alluminium or even titanium if im feeling flush.So we are looking at decent blade 919 to maybe r1 circa 450 kilos.THEN its just a case of me shedding a few pounds and honing my limited driving skills into a decent rear drive master.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.