Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How much money have people got these days
sonic

posted on 13/4/11 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
How much money have people got these days

As title really

I was having a bite to eat with a mate of mine today in York watching the world go buy when we started talking about how do people afford things.

He was saying and i can agree where he and i live people are all driving car circa 4 years old or less, in most cases new and a mixture of 4x4s and high end cars.
They all live in semi or detached houses and holiday at least once a year, the female of the house spends most of her time chatting outside the school gates with no sign of stress or hassle and the hubby turns up at least once a week at 3.30 to collect the kids in no real urgency.

This isnt isolated cases more the majority,

Do we assume they are in dept with everything, is it inherrited money or are they all earning 50k+ per year?

If they are earning 50k+ pa what jobs do they do as most of them are not dressed in suits or smartly dressed.

I would be interested to hear other peoples take on this as i am not a skint person but i would struggle to justify there lifestyles.

scootz

posted on 13/4/11 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
See that recession thing that was in the newspapers and on the telly...

It's Evolution Baby!

tomgregory2000

posted on 13/4/11 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Benefits
hobzy

posted on 13/4/11 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Think it partly depends down here on how mad people went with upgrading to the next size house when the going was good. We moved out of the city but didn't go barmy house size/price wise, so don't have a huge mortgage and we are on SVR so actually doing fine at the mo. (Both middle managers in education and 2 kids), I've got mates though who earn far more than me but are skint each month because they moved to a huge house they don't need and are paying out more than half their wages each month in mortgage, paying off car finance etc.

In the city? Benefits probably.

[Edited on 13/4/11 by hobzy]

sonic

posted on 13/4/11 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Ok So if we assume a 4x4 / BMW / Audi new is going to cost circa £500 per month over 5 years add £500 per month for a morgage or rent and then through in the everyday gas/electric etc etc £150 per month + £400 a month food and everything else petrol,Tax, insurance etc £300 per month plus thats £1850 which is a salary of about £32K plus take home and thats not accounting for holidays etc
David Jenkins

posted on 13/4/11 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe the people with money are more visible?

blakep82

posted on 13/4/11 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
let me just see what i have in my pocket...

some fluff, 17p, an old button, and a passport size picture i ripped out a magazine.

thats about the size of my wealth

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

rf900rush

posted on 13/4/11 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
If we had not bailed out the banks, some of these would not have so much.

I think any one with 50K+ savings was at risk of losing alot.

So us poor B****d's are paying for their 4x4's

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ninehigh

posted on 13/4/11 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
I'm rich! I have a fiver!

I think some of these are company cars, or contract hire which means they don't own them. Also I'm guessing that some of them are sinking into debt because they can't cut back on their lifestyle

blakep82

posted on 13/4/11 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rf900rush
If we had not bailed out the banks, some of these would not have so much.

I think any one with 50K+ savings was at risk of losing alot.

So us poor B****d's are paying for their 4x4's

no, if the banks hadn't been bailed out, the WHOLE COUNTRY would be well and truely f**ked, like completely. with no banking industry, there's virtually no economy, so its not that we had to spend a bit to keep them going and so rich people could llive ok. with no banks, most of us woudn't have a pot to p!ss in, never mind 'can't go out to the pub this weekend'

[Edited on 13/4/11 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

sonic

posted on 13/4/11 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
OK so maybe some are company cars, alot of companies i know of are scaleing back there company cars and going for cheaper lease deals etc plus if these big 4x4s and Bmw etc are company cars then they will be getting taxed to hell with the bennefit in kind on there salary so reducing there monthly income for morgages etc
Moorron

posted on 13/4/11 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
I know what you mean, but judging the lives of people on what you and your mates see might not hold the truth.

Many people in my street have very nice cars, not like the 10+ year old cars me and the missus owns and we DID get jelous of it until we started to actually find out the truth. Over 70% in my street dont own the cars they drive, well atleast what i call 'owning' (ie paid for if it and not oweing anyone anything type of owning). Most are rented or on finance you know the type you pay over the odds for the car, pay little for 2 years and then get billed with the remaining 60% when most people work out they dont have the money to do this and then have 2 options.

sell the car and pay the debt off, so no car left after 2 years

or

go back to the same stealer and get a silly trade in price for the next rippoff deal on the newer model.

This cycle then repeats and they wonder how they spent all that money on nothing. Problem for them is when they realise this and its too late and the only way out is to do without a car or win some money. Abit like the bank problem we have had, they should be allowed to go bust but it will be worse for everyone so we prop it up to happen next year instead but only worse. Instead of tackling the problem we just push it away and make it worse doing so.

Alot of people have used the growth in the housing market to buy new stuff with, again this is whats now becoming a problem as they are working out some wont be able to pay it back even when loosing their homes.

oh and benefits lol

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

martinq357

posted on 13/4/11 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
My opinion is that a lot of it is perceived wealth & keeping up appearences.

Some of those with the new cars, big houses etc. are living well beyond there means, free childcare from parents (+ handouts), massive credit card bills & it wouldn't take a whole lot for it all to come crashing down around there ears.

I don't consider myself hard up by any means, don't have a large mortgage, don't have expensive holidays, but how some people maintain there lifestyles is beyond me!!

steve m

posted on 13/4/11 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
I am lucky, !!

My parents are millionares, and in ther 70's

and i had a result on last weeks lottery

i picked up my £10 yesterday and bought some beer !

spaximus

posted on 13/4/11 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
There are still a lot of people who are doing okay. All you hear on the news is the bad stuff but my company has taken on 30 more staff this year. In the parts industry Euro car parts and Andrew page are all expanding like crazy, M&S had a good year Tesco profits up, it isn't all doom and gloom. Yes for sure many have overstreched themselves and a many industries are on a downturn but there is still alot of money being spent in the UK everyday.

Until we start celebrating what is going well and how were are tackling the crippling debt we have been lumbered with by Labour, we will talk ourselves deeper into doom and gloom.

hobzy

posted on 13/4/11 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Doom and gloom sells newspapers

They keep telling us its worse than the last one, but I remember my parents house halving in value and both my dad and stepdad (oil platform draughtsmen) being out of work for 3 years, interest rates at 14%. Like someone said above, there's no mention of the good things happening - didn't unemployment go down this month I thought I heard?

daniel mason

posted on 13/4/11 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
its a good point sonic. people around my area are the same. and houses are expensive. they are driving range rovers, new audis,bmw's etc .£30k plus cars with normal jobs,kids,house etc and i driv around in a 2003 vauxhall vectra and have a better job and income than most of these people! i honestly dont know how they afford to live as these people seem to spend a lot of time in the pubs and eating out also. it boggles the mind

[Edited on 13/4/11 by daniel mason]

Richard Quinn

posted on 13/4/11 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
its a good point sonic. people around my area are the same. and houses are expensive. they ar driving range rovers, new audis,bmw's etc .£30k plus cars with normal jobs,kids,house etc and i driv around in a 2003 vauxhall vectra and have a better job and income than most of these people! i honestly dont know how they aford to live as these people see, to spend a lot of time in the pubs and eating out also. it boggles the mind

It's all about perception. What is a "normal job"? I am a company director of a small company and I get a reasonable salary, company car etc. My missus works part time and has a new car (but a reasonable Hyundai). We also eat out every now and again (local sizzler pub does 2 for 1's that workout cheaper than a trip to Asda) but I know a few shift operators at the local refinery who make more money than I do. I'm sure that there are people on here also with "normal jobs" who are comfortable and have £15k+ tied up in a toy car

meany

posted on 13/4/11 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
As has been said...looks can be decieving.

people think im loaded because of what i drive, i bought it new 5 yrs ago when i was working, its paid for. It cost more than my house did of which i have only just over 12mnths left on the mortgage.
I dont work anymore, ill health took care of that, im not on any benefit anymore.
i dont drink or smoke.. i dont do much to be honest....lol. but im solvent.

austin man

posted on 13/4/11 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
wealth in most insurances is perception, ask how many credit cards, how much do they have on credit etc etc. all of a sudden you begin to realise that they are walking a tightrope and treading a fine line between having it all and having nothing, Myself I have a reasonably good salary, refuse to move from the house I bought in 1987 have a mortgage of £250 own my 10 year old Golf GTI turbo have no loans, credit card is zero never been overdrawn even when I worked for £1.50 per hour.

I may not have it all but what I do Have is mine and I enjoy it oh and I can sleep easily at night and manage a holiday or 2 a year now the kids have grown up

[Edited on 14/4/11 by austin man]

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

nick205

posted on 13/4/11 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
Excellent thread Sonic - I have been wondering the very same myself for a long time.

I see LOTS of people tooling round in brand new Bimmers, Audis, Mercs etc. Living in 4/5/6 bed detached houses, expensive clothes/shoes, Ocado shop delivered weekly and then some besides. By my reckoning (in my area) we're talking close to 6 figure incomes.

Some (not many) will be inheritence based, some (not many) will be very high earners, some (how many?) will be highly debted....what about the rest...?

That said, I've also noticed a few people falling hard of late!

I consider myself massively fortunate to have solvent semi-retired parents who help with childcare (5 yr old and 3 yr old twins) and both me and SWMBO in reasonably well paid jobs. BUT with additional childcare, mortgage, household, car and all the other expenses there's pi55 all left at the end of the month and we simply do not go out.

Then on the other hand I watched Lenny Henry and others living in a slum (feel bad for not remembering where) for a week. There might be much wrong with out lives, but there's an awful lot more that's right!

Mr Whippy

posted on 13/4/11 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
I and missy are trying to sort out a mess that a relative has caused by getting themselves into £35k worth of debt and get this he still hasn't told his wife! (not to mention the fact that how the feck doesn’t she even know?!?!) Honestly the idiocy of some people just beggars belief sometimes

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bare

posted on 13/4/11 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
Public purse employees?? Here in Canada the new rich seem to be virtually anybody with a public purse paycheck.
Muni employees are often paid Double the usual rates. Even at the professional levels.
Seriously galling when one considers that actual work is often 'extra'.
Similar in the UK Dunno?

Colleagues returned from a 5 year stint in Glasgow,
He an Architect and she a teacher. Their combined salaries there were.. less.. than what the woman earns doing the same job here.

Do believe that the 'recession' IS real; as relying from traveller's tales alone.. the UK is seemingly in visibly reduced circumstanc, even from recent times.
Not a lot of indications that it will improve, anytime soon either.

[Edited on 13/4/11 by Bare]

Simon

posted on 13/4/11 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry, if I could afford £500/month on a car (that's £8500 before tax!!), I think my mortgage would be substantially more than £500, more like £2k. Which then takes you into higher rate tax bracket, meaning to fund a big car and bigger mortgage and you need to earn over twice you expenditure if you allow for cost of living items like food, fuel anf other consumables.

So more like £100k.

However, if you can afford £40 to go and see a donkey play football and dont mind them earning £200k/week and paying less tax than you, then you ain't got a prob!

ATB

Simon

omega 24 v6

posted on 13/4/11 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
The whole country is a farce including the benefits scheme.
Just today i find out that 300 yards up the street from me there was a house for sale.

It wouldn't make the required value ( to subsidise the new house)so was going to be rented out at £650 PCM

The DSS have leased it and put in 3 Undesireable drugies/benefits scroungers, call them what you will, because there is a severe lack of council owned properties due to the huge sell ofs of bygone days followed by years of non investment in properties.

So here's the rub
I have worked hard and contributed to society for 30 plus years. Bought my own house in a reasonably quiet pleasurable part of town. bought and paid for all my own cars/toys kids/etc and am proud of it.

BUT
Here are 3 people living in my area who have not and never probably will contribute anything worthwhile to society.
Theyre in a nice quiet area of town AND I/WE THE TAXPAYER are PAYING FOR IT.

Did I really need to work so hard to get where I am now?????????

Fecking furious is an understatement.

Rant probably not over for a long time.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.