Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: new top wishbones question
hobzy

posted on 22/4/11 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
new top wishbones question

Picked up my new bones from MK. Some of you may remember that I "parked it" in a hedge a while back. Anyway, In the process of fitting, and the top bones are max 2mm wider apart at the chassis mounts. Can I "persuade" them in or take some off the poly bushes? Options please

TimC

posted on 22/4/11 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
Either one of your proposed solutions is likely to lead to excessive stiction which is bad news - could severely compromise the way that your suspension operates. Either send them back or get them remade or modified by someone who knows what they're doing.

Sorry but my view on these things is you own a performance vehicle and as such major components should work as intended as a bare minimum!

hobzy

posted on 22/4/11 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
Nowt wrong with that answer - just didn't want to ring Danny without looking at other options. My chassis is one of the older ones and the original bones were round tube whereas MK only use oval now. Its about a 16th inch.

Just looked again and even the old bones don't sit in the mounts equally spaced...

[Edited on 22/4/11 by hobzy]

TimC

posted on 22/4/11 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hobzy

Just looked again and even the old bones don't sit in the mounts equally spaced...

[Edited on 22/4/11 by hobzy]

The problem isn't unique to MK but you're certainly not the first to experience these issues with their cars. It's not quite so helpful now you've bought them but I'd be tempted to ask someone like Flak Monkey to make them in future - perhaps off a simple wooden jig.

hobzy

posted on 22/4/11 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
Funnily enough when I first crashed it I asked on here if anyone could make me a set or had a set of the adjustable ones to flog, and no one was able to and I missed a set for sale. Being way down south doesn't help.

Tother side was as tight coming out, so I have fitted them for now and will get the person setting it back up to have a look/think when it goes to them. I expected the bones to sit in the middle of each bracket... was a long drive up to MK too on monday

nick205

posted on 22/4/11 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
Again not so much help now you've got the new bones, but having built and rebuilt (for the same reason) an an Indy of the same vintage I'd strongly recommend buying (or having made) a set of top bones using rod ends. Not only will this overcome any minor tolerance issues, but will allow you to achieve the right amount of castor and improve the self centering and handling noticeably (might prevent further hedge trimming work ).

hobzy

posted on 22/4/11 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
Will the bones I've bought be able to be fettled - ends cut off and rod ends fitted?

nick205

posted on 22/4/11 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hobzy
Will the bones I've bought be able to be fettled - ends cut off and rod ends fitted?

Should be possible with the right measurements and equipment. IIRC Hellfire on here did just that with his Indy wishbones a few years back - might be worth a U2U for info.

mistergrumpy

posted on 22/4/11 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
They were GTS bones I think.
Hellfire

posted on 23/4/11 at 06:54 AM Reply With Quote
We did have GTS wishbones fitted at one stage but we weren't impressed with them, so reverted back to MK wishbones although with a few slight modifications to incorporate a camber adjuster and rod ends for castor.

Phil

hobzy

posted on 23/4/11 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks everyone. I'll look to getting something made up when cash flow has improved!

whitestu

posted on 23/4/11 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
I modified oval MK bones to incorporate rod ends as per Hellfire. It was fairly easy and te car now self centres well - not as strongly as my tintop but it's pretty good.

Stu

hobzy

posted on 23/4/11 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
Just had a peek in your photos - nice one. I'll get them done. Cheers.

mistergrumpy

posted on 23/4/11 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
Mind me hogging your thread Hobzy?
Just wanted to ask what was used as the adaptors on the converted wishbones? Is it just chunks of steel shaped and threaded?

whitestu

posted on 23/4/11 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Mind me hogging your thread Hobzy?
Just wanted to ask what was used as the adaptors on the converted wishbones? Is it just chunks of steel shaped and threaded?

All my bits including the threaded inserts came from here Link. Cost £60 ish all in.

Stu

hobzy

posted on 23/4/11 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
Don't mind at all, in fact you beat me to it.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.