Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Koi pond
jacko

posted on 24/4/11 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
Koi pond

Hi all today my wife was told that if you put Oranges cut in half in the pond it stops blanket weed growing in it + the koi eat them too.
Has anyone else read or been told about this /tried it and does it work ? before i wast my time

Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
norfolkluego

posted on 24/4/11 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
Never heard that one, barley straw is supposed to work, not found it much use myself
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 24/4/11 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
Barley straw is what you use to control the weed.
Use some pond clear to get the green under control then the
uv tube should be changed as they don't last a last a lifetime.
Guess what I've been doing today

jacko

quote:
Originally posted by norfolkluego
Never heard that one, barley straw is supposed to work, not found it much use myself

I agree it did not work for me either
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

a quick google says the fish love it, so gotta be worth a try. and if it doesn't work at keeping blanket weed off, the fish will be happy anyways, so no great loss, and no harm to them either. i'm going to try it when mine turns up later this week. well, i'm only getting one, and some gudgeons, orfe, tench etc, but i'm sure my little ghostie will love it

thinking about a uv filter to put out in the good weather. don't really fancy one wired in all the time, so might get a small one to put out when its dry out

[Edited on 24/4/11 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

jacko

posted on 24/4/11 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop
Barley straw is what you use to control the weed.
Use some pond clear to get the green under control then the
uv tube should be changed as they don't last a last a lifetime.
Guess what I've been doing today

Building cars ?

Ok your pond
What you have just posted is what i do,
but i just wondered if anyone had ever seen about the oranges

v8kid

posted on 24/4/11 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Make sure you put a heater in the pond for winter. Mine all died in winter 09/10 - two stones they weighed altogether and I could not get round to replacing them.

Anyhow the pond froze over - as it does every winter but that year it stayed frozen for two months and that's what I presume killed them.

A little heater to keep a clear patch would do the trick.

BTW I tried breaking the ice but it was 18" thick. Have you ever tried breaking ice that thick? Seriously tough!

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

blakep82

posted on 24/4/11 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by v8kid
Make sure you put a heater in the pond for winter. Mine all died in winter 09/10 - two stones they weighed altogether and I could not get round to replacing them.

Anyhow the pond froze over - as it does every winter but that year it stayed frozen for two months and that's what I presume killed them.

BTW I tried breaking the ice but it was 18" thick. Have you ever tried breaking ice that thick? Seriously tough!

Cheers!

same happened to mine this winter only 4 fish left. at the end of last year they were well happy, loads of tiny baby fish, all dead

anyway, don't try breaking the ice! the shock waves can damage and kill them too! only melt the ice. even leaving a hose running over it will melt the ice to let the toxic gasses out

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

jacko

posted on 24/4/11 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
I cover my pond over winter with plywood and polystyrene never lost a fish in 17 years
Jacko

[Edited on 24/4/11 by jacko]

austin man

posted on 24/4/11 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
breaking the ice wouldnt have helped fish are easily shocked, try and make a hole to ensure ventilation I used to leave my pump running. Agreed this was a bit of a vicious winter so would not have been an option

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 24/4/11 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
We leave the pump running all the time and we only get half Iceing and no fish deaths.
I have a above ground fiberglass pond and the fish are all big ones

Agriv8

posted on 24/4/11 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
pump runs all year round as well pond is deep as well 1025 to 1300 mm iirc .

all fish wintered well though were very late getting there appitite this year every year i mean to cover with buble wrap but never do it

new uv bulb every year or every other max

cant remember what i used when i had an outbreak some powder that turned the water milky for a couple of day but it worked.

regards agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Agriv8

posted on 24/4/11 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
just remebered what it was called and confirmed looking through old ebay purchases ( never throw a good email away )

this stuf was recomended b chris mason on here but post must have been archived search ebay for

Cloverleaf Blanket Answer

Cheers agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

JC

posted on 24/4/11 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
We have an above ground pond. Our pump/filter (£30 Argos!) has a built in UV lamp and out water is always crystal clear. A polystyrene 'igloo' worked for most of this winter to keep it clear of ice!
Peteff

posted on 24/4/11 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by v8kid

Cheers!

Trying to break the ice is more likely to have killed them. I used to have a plastic decoy Mallard floating in the pond and it kept the ice from completely covering the pond. Running a small pump will keep a bit clear of ice as well. Oranges and Barley straw don't really help with blanket weed they just help to keep algae down. We filled the pond in last year after our last big Koi died after 23 years. There were just 3 Tench left in and they went in next door's pond. They were at least 18 years old as well.

[Edited on 24/4/11 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

blakep82

posted on 24/4/11 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
just found another yellow fish with black spots i didn't know was in my pond!

ah, its a golden orfe

[Edited on 24/4/11 by blakep82]

koiking125

posted on 25/4/11 at 07:17 AM Reply With Quote
A second vote here for Cloverleaf blanket answer. Been using it since it came out and its the only thing thats worked 100%. My pond is 4500 gallons so had to use 2 tubs but have found that since then one is enough.

MK Owners Club Member (Frosty) No.1159

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.