Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: dash layout opinions
sdh2903

posted on 26/4/11 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
dash layout opinions

I know dash board layouts are all personal preference but am looking for some second opinions.

I am using one of these in my dash

stack
stack

It does tacho and also has a digital speedo and odo display along with selectable voltmeter, track timing and a few other bits and pieces. To go with it ive got a few aux 52mm guages for oil px, water temp and a fuel guage.

I just cant decide whether I should have a seperate 80mm speedo to go along side it ?? I just cant get it out of my head that one 80mm gauge will look a little unsymettrical? The one instrument covers iva requirements so its purely for appearance. My two very childish drawings below show what i mean (my 9 year old has just been mocking me for my attempts!!)

2 x 80mm gauges:

dash1
dash1

1 x 80mm gauge:

dash2
dash2

by the way the strange dots are switches!!

Any thoughts?

franky

posted on 26/4/11 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
You can put 2 temp/pressure channels in your stack display, you'd have to cycle through to them though.

Stack do a matching 80mm speedo, or SPA do one that will do some other bits too.

I like dash one as it looks balanced

sdh2903

posted on 26/4/11 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
St500 doesnt have the additional sensor inputs like the St700 so it has to be separate gauges for temp/pressure.

I think thats the word i'm after balance, the 2 80mm i think do look a bit better, just trying to justify an extra 170 quid for something i dont really 'need'

franky

posted on 26/4/11 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Also i'd get the seat in the position you're going to sit in, and your post IVA wheel and work out what you can actually see when you're in it.
blakep82

posted on 26/4/11 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
for IVA, you're not allowed to have a speedo that doesn't always show a speed.

so you couldn't use that stack tacho as a speedo, as it can show other info in that LCD display other than speed.

you have to have a purpose speedo in there, so 2 x 80mm (1 speedo, 1 tacho) is probably the best way

[Edited on 26/4/11 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

sdh2903

posted on 26/4/11 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
Your right, however the display is only changable if the button is installed to change it, for Iva this button may *ahem* fall off, Leaving the Mph and odo display. However I am definitly leaning toward the 2 dials.

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82

so you couldn't use that stack tacho as a speedo, as it can show other info in that LCD display other than speed.

you have to have a purpose speedo in there, so 2 x 80mm (1 speedo, 1 tacho) is probably the best way

franky

posted on 26/4/11 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
St500 doesnt have the additional sensor inputs like the St700 so it has to be separate gauges for temp/pressure.

I think thats the word i'm after balance, the 2 80mm i think do look a bit better, just trying to justify an extra 170 quid for something i dont really 'need'

If that's what you want and you don't get it you'll always wish you had.

Well thats the way I thought about it as you're going to spend most of your time in the car looking at that one area, you might as well make it suit you.

bi22le

posted on 26/4/11 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I like the idea of one large gauge but not your layout. I think 1 large gauge would hint at being more purposeful use like track days.

I would maybe have the large 80mm central to driver view and one gauge either side. The third gauge could go top left of the buttons or else where.

Cant be bothered to edit your pic, but I think it would look better than the 2 gauge design.

HTH

Biz

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

blakep82

posted on 26/4/11 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
ah cool, but remember if it still changes between mph and odo, unless it shows both at the same time, it may not pass (as its possible to switch to odo, showing no speed)

quote:
Your right, however the display is only changable if the button is installed to change it, for Iva this button may *ahem* fall off, Leaving the Mph and odo display. However I am definitly leaning toward the 2 dials.

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

sdh2903

posted on 26/4/11 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Yes the odo and mph are on the same display.

Ive just seen this and really like the layout, just need to see what space/view i have now:

Description
Description

Miks15

posted on 26/4/11 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Yes the odo and mph are on the same display.

Ive just seen this and really like the layout, just need to see what space/view i have now:

Description
Description

Thats the layout id go for! Looks good.

ShaunB

posted on 27/4/11 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
I also like the idea of balance, so here's another variant. Replace 2 of your 52mm gauges with a single combined oil px/water temp to give you 52 - 80 - 52.

As others have said you do need to sit in the car with the steering wheel you are ultimately going to use in place and see how much you can see through it. I my case I made a paper template and sitting in the seat used a pencil to draw an outline of the "shadow" of the steering wheel and then laid my dash out how I wanted it. I actually placed a couple of switches in that shadow (high beam and horn) so they were under my fingertips while driving.

Shaun.

The Black Flash

posted on 27/4/11 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
I rather like asymmetrical layouts myself - as said above, it can look more purposeful. Either way, it's more important that you can see them, than the layout looks nice IMO. If it works, it'll look right...I think

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.