Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: GU10 Bulbs and fitting advice
AndyW

posted on 8/5/11 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
GU10 Bulbs and fitting advice

Had "most" of house re-wired about 2 1/2 years ago. I have in the kitchen 2 light bars, each holding 4 GU10 halogens. Now, the problem is they blow bulbs on a monthly basis. To the point I currently have 3 out of the 8 working! Is there any reason that anyone can think of? Maybe the kitchen lights wiring was not replaced and is not up to powering halogens?
The other problem is, as said I have "most" of the house re-wired. The little waste of oxygen that did it only did about 3 quarters of the house and decided to double his quote. So I kicked him out. So I dont think the kitchen light suppy wire was changed. Kitchen fully on seperate ring etc etc just getting fed up with buying light bulbs as part of my weekly shop.

Any advice recommendations welcome.

iank

posted on 8/5/11 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
I used to have that problem, in my case I think they were overheating as since I changed them to 35W from the 50W's I now lose very few.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

mark chandler

posted on 8/5/11 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
My experience of GU10 bulbs has also been poor, they fail faster if you get finger prints on them so only touch via a soft cloth.

I cannot see the supply affecting this.

Stuart_B

posted on 8/5/11 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
the gu10 lamps, go often a quickly, it can be down to some many factors, i would recommend replacing the lamps with GU10 Compact Fluorescent Lamps, Pack of 10 GU10 Compact Fluorescent Lamps - 9w | eBay UK

stu

black mk indy, 1.6pinto on cbr600 bike carb's.

AndyW

posted on 8/5/11 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
I used to have that problem, in my case I think they were overheating as since I changed them to 35W from the 50W's I now lose very few.

Just checked that point. I've got 35w. Might look at changing to GU10 Compact Fluorescent Lamps as Stu recommends

balidey

posted on 8/5/11 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
what make and how much do you pay?
I have noticed the cheap unbranded ones go quickly, the slightly more expensive ones do outlive them.

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

oldtimer

posted on 8/5/11 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
Agreed, cheap GU10s go quickly. I'm now using these +/-3.5W chip LEDs and they are great, and super efficient. The light they give doesn't suit everyone so try one first.
GU10 21 LED 5050 SMD LIGHT BULB 310LM = 50W DAY White | eBay UK
NTDWM by the way.

oldtimer

posted on 8/5/11 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
The GU10 Compact Fluorescent Lamps menrioned will work too, but, you need the deeper light units to take them as the compact bulbs are longer then standard GU10s.
britishtrident

posted on 8/5/11 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
Life varies enormously between brands the biggest name brands aren't always the best.
For longer life I have a mixture of halogen and LED lamps in my G10 fittings and have found the life of Phillips LED lamps have been very disappointing.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Humbug

posted on 8/5/11 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oldtimer
Agreed, cheap GU10s go quickly. I'm now using these +/-3.5W chip LEDs and they are great, and super efficient. The light they give doesn't suit everyone so try one first.
NTDWM by the way.

hmmm - I've been looking at low(er) energy replacements for GU10s. We've just done some redecorating etc. and replaced a 4x 20W (I think) 12V unit with the bulbs with 2 pins for a 4x 50W GU10 24V unit. I immediately noticed that it's like a sunbed under the lights so I wanted to look at alternatives for both heat reduction and energy saving. Questions in my mind were:

Fluorescent

Lower energy
Physically bigger so probably would not fit my lamp bar
Also quite expensive

LED
Lower energy
Maybe not quite so expensive
Are they the same size as normal ones?
Light quality - I agree about trying them first, but are "day white" or "warm white" better? what's the difference, given that at the moment the bulbs are effectively spots over cooker/sink area?
What wattage would I need to replace 50W halogens? Lots of the cheaper LEDs seem to have an out put of 150-300 lumens, whereas as far as I can ell even a 35W halogen gives 600+ lumens.
Also, what's the difference (price, light quality, life) between the chip LEDs and the bulb LEDs?

Also, I just noticed that those chip ones have a beam angle of 120 degrees - most of the others I have seen are around 40 degrees. Do the bulb ones have a tighter beam?

[Edited on 08.05.2011 by Humbug]

AndyW

posted on 8/5/11 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Humbug
quote:
Originally posted by oldtimer
NTDWM by the way.

hmmm - I've been looking at low(er) energy replacements for GU10s. We've just done some redecorating etc. and replaced a 4x 20W (I think) 12V unit with the bulbs with 2 pins for a 4x 50W GU10 24V unit. I immediately noticed that it's like a sunbed under the lights so I wanted to look at alternatives for both heat reduction and energy saving. Questions in my mind were:

Fluorescent

Lower energy
Physically bigger so probably would not fit my lamp bar
Also quite expensive

LED
Lower energy
Maybe not quite so expensive
Are they the same size as normal ones?
Light quality - I agree about trying them first, but are "day white" or "warm white" better? what's the difference, given that at the moment the bulbs are effectively spots over cooker/sink area?
Also, what's the difference (price, light quality, life) between the chip LEDs and the bulb LEDs?

Also, I just noticed that those chip ones have a beam angle of 120 degrees - most of the others I have seen are around 40 degrees. Do the bulb ones have a tighter beam?

[Edited on 08.05.2011 by Humbug]

Some good questions, I too would like to know!!!

Stuart_B

posted on 8/5/11 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
hi, i have found that the led ones, nobody so far has like the type of light they give off, suit an office.

the beam, is on a normal one is quite large, the 40deg one will be more of a focused light, to light up a feature.

the gu5 (12v) lamps are better that the (gu10), they last longer, but are more dearer to fit to start with.

regarding your lamp bar, can you post a pic up? or a link to one?

stuart

black mk indy, 1.6pinto on cbr600 bike carb's.

oldtimer

posted on 8/5/11 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
The link I put on was to 50w equivalent led bulbs, they are not 50w - they are 3.5w. Go for warm as the bright wight are quite blue in my opinion.They do tend to give a wide beam so go for narrower angles. They are the same size as 'normal' GU10s, I don't have experience of the longevity as I've not had one fail yet. I was not sure when I fitted them - the light is 'different...' but I don't notice it now. They are also cold so no 'sunbed' like heating from above.
SteveWalker

posted on 8/5/11 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
If you do decide that GU10 CFLs will fit, look out for the 13 or 14W versions, the 9 and 11s seem a bit weak after 50W halogens. Also look at a mix of CFL and halogen or CFL and LED, as if you're anything like us, you'll pop in and out of the kitchen for things and the poor light of cold CFLs isn't good. They are however very good for bathrooms, as they are not such a shock to the system when you switch them on, bleary eyed, in the morning

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.