Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine sstuttering at 8300rpm turbo
matt_gsxr

posted on 29/5/11 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Engine sstuttering at 8300rpm turbo

Alright, what should I be looking for on this one.

I've been tuning up the engine today. Started a bit nasty and now pretty sweet. Not perfect but getting there and very drivable. Engine is gsxr1100 and turbo from a Volvo T5, with MegaSquirt 2 running Extra 3.1.1.

So I have started trying to tune up the outer edges of the map. If flies to about 8kRPM, and then it goes a bit stuttery. I have logged it. The trigger wheel is fine (no sync errors). Here is a screen shot from the offending region from MLV. The non-smooth curves and the drop off of increasing RPM is the offending region.

It may be a bit rich because I didn't want to detonate another engine.

Have I got a problem with the spark being blown-out? I have dyna coils and standard plug and gaps.
I haven't done a 8kRPM plug chop, which is what I should have done.

Any thoughts on this appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

BaileyPerformance

posted on 29/5/11 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like the TPS dropped at around 8500, was that you closing the throttle?

You said you are running it rich, looks like 12.5 AFR at 8000ish, that is LEAN, you should be running 11/11.5 to be safe, bike engines are weak, you can melt a piston very very easily.

The Hayabusa i did a wile ago used a stock Ford gen1 zetec coil and custom leads, it rev'd to 14K without misfire with 1mm plug gaps, so if you suspect a miss due to blowout replace the coils for a coilpack, 3.1 dwell, 0.6 spark duration in megatune

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenTyreman

posted on 29/5/11 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
It's quite hard to see but it looks like the fluctuations on the PW match the fluctuations on the TPS. Are you using some sort of blended MAP/Alpha-N fuelling?
matt_gsxr

posted on 29/5/11 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
I am running SD multiplied with a Alpha-N table, so the PW fluctuations will be due to a bit of TPS.
In the second of the two surges I was braver and nailed the throttle so no TPS fluctuations, but still the stuttering (I can feel the stuttering and the power drops off). I think this texture in the PW is a symptom of the stuttering.

Regarding the fueling. Rich/lean. I suppose what I am saying is that there is 10% more fuel going in at the same MAP and TPS and past the normal torque peak. So I think there isn't too little fuel and that the AFR is getting upset by the missfire.

What are the symptoms of blow-out? If I close down the spark gap would that help fix it?

Sorry to be a newbie on this stuff. My thinking was with only 8psi, forged pistons (that get oil sprayed onto their undersides) and reduced compression I should be pretty safe at 12.5, but I am still learning.

[Edited on 29/5/11 by matt_gsxr]

BenTyreman

posted on 29/5/11 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
Most of the boosted maps I have seen have much less ignition timing and run much richer than you currently are. Try around 20 degrees of ignition advance and closer to 11:1 and see if the situation is improved.

mikemph
Contributor

Posts 111
Registered 20/9/10
Location oxford

Photo Archive Go!
Building: R1 powered Haynes Roadster and MK Indy zetec turbo

posted on 29/5/11 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
I would personally aim for around 12:1 on WOT.....This is what I have been told when I did mapping on the rollers with the guy that own the dyno.

I would go for iridium plugs with the thin 0.6mm electrode..... they seem not to suffer so much with the spark blow out..... and with still fire even with super rich/lean mixtures. It may be worth going for a cooler plug too

matt_gsxr

posted on 29/5/11 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
Ironically I fitted some Iridium plugs that I had stashed away, but it was too late to go for a road test. I closed up the gap slightly.

Once the stuttering starts that AFR doesn't mean much at the moment. But will richen up my target map too, better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks all,

Matt

mikemph
Contributor

Posts 111
Registered 20/9/10
Location oxford

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 29/5/11 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
If you need a co-driver to fiddle with the tables or keep an eye on the computer to help spot while you drive I'm sure I could find a few hours one evening.
matt_gsxr

posted on 29/5/11 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
Kind offer.
I am not sure I would so readily volunteer for a WOT test with an unknown.

I think I am going to sort out some of the other details (intercooler, bonnet insulation it got up to 95degC, which is a bit warm for fibreglass) and get the thing reliable before I expose others to this thing.

Matt

mikemph
Contributor

Posts 111
Registered 20/9/10
Location oxford

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 30/5/11 at 01:23 AM Reply With Quote

no worries I am fairly local so give me a shout if you need a hand..... i will try my best to help

MikeRJ

posted on 30/5/11 at 04:06 AM Reply With Quote
The TPS reading starts to get a bit noisy before the first big dip (presumably when you backed off). Have you made sure the TPS wires are routed well away from the coils and injector wiring?
matt_gsxr

posted on 30/5/11 at 07:20 AM Reply With Quote
I think Mike what we are seeing is a combination of concern, a slightly bumpy road and "the fear". What would be known in IT as a problem between keyboard and chair.

I guess the TPS fluctuations would set off some Acceleration Enrichment, but I don't think this is the source of the problem.

What about this one for example. The fluctuations in the fueling are clearly correlated with fluctuations in the RPM, and these come about as a result of the stuttering.
Like this one say (again the TPS does have a slight flutter 100 or 99, but not as much).
Description
Description

I have far too much fuel at this end of the table, because when I first felt this I was worried that it was detonation. The AFR of 14.7 is an artefact of the problem and not what the engine is getting.

Before the question comes up. Fuel pump is Walbro 255l/hour (over kill), Fuel pressure regulator is AIR004 (or AIR001, can't remember) (Malpassi bought from FSE) and set at 3.25atm (not manifold referenced). Injectors are s2000. I think that the fuel is getting in there, but that it isn't burning, but happy to be corrected.

I don't know much about this turbo stuff (only what I have read and broken).

Matt

froggy

posted on 30/5/11 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
Pin the wategate wide open and see if it stutters with no boost .

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r187/froggy_0[IMG]

matt_gsxr

posted on 30/5/11 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
Interesting idea. The wastegate spring is 5psi, my MAP doesn't pay attention to such fripperies. Previously I had fairly serious overboosting , but have put a baffle in the exhaust which helps with this and appeases the neighbours.

I will try your idea, but suspect I will still get some boost.

Previously this engine and set-up (without the turbo) reved up fine.

What would this tell me if it reved up fine?

Matt

mikemph
Contributor

Posts 111
Registered 20/9/10
Location oxford

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 30/5/11 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
Have you taken it for drive since changing the plugs?
MikeRJ

posted on 30/5/11 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
What are you using for the crank position sensor - the original ignition pickup?
BaileyPerformance

posted on 30/5/11 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenTyreman
Most of the boosted maps I have seen have much less ignition timing and run much richer than you currently are. Try around 20 degrees of ignition advance and closer to 11:1 and see if the situation is improved.

Please please be careful with ignition timing with boosted engines, i have only ever worked with hayabusa 08 NA but that engine made full power at 31deg timing, i would expect a boosted version to require 10degrees (maybe upto 14 at max RPM)

Aim for 11AFR, forged pistons are stronger and normally will withstand high temps but will melt nearly as well as a stock piston!

Turbo Zetec 8deg total timing at 1bar
Cosworth (stock engine) 7-9deg at 1 bar
Cosworth race engine 5deg at 22psi
Nissan 300xz (stock engine) 16deg at 1bar
Nissan race engine (550+bhp) 7deg at 25psi

The stock bike engine will breath very well, so loads of timing is not required, when you modify a car engine to make it breath LESS timing is required.

These figures are what i have seen on my dyno.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
matt_gsxr

posted on 30/5/11 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
Got some info from a serial gsxr1100wp turbo builder (he builds for others as well as himself)

AFR below 11.5 hurts power.
AFR below 10 gives miss-fires.
Aim for 12 at 15psi.

I guess I either have it too rich, or the spark be being blown away, maybe both.
I'll drop the mixture a little, and try the Iridium plugs.

Too wet to try anything out today.

Matt

[Edited on 30/5/11 by matt_gsxr]

matt_gsxr

posted on 30/5/11 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
What are you using for the crank position sensor - the original ignition pickup?

I did have it running with the original trigger wheel (4 teeth, 1 long) for which I needed to build an additional conditioning circuit. I have reverted to a 12-1 wheel while I get things tuned up.
Stock pickup which has been fine in the past.
MS2 logs trigger faults (sync errors) and none are found.

matt_gsxr

posted on 30/5/11 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BaileyPerformance
quote:
Originally posted by BenTyreman

Please please be careful with ignition timing with boosted engines, i have only ever worked with hayabusa 08 NA but that engine made full power at 31deg timing, i would expect a boosted version to require 10degrees (maybe upto 14 at max RPM)

Aim for 11AFR, forged pistons are stronger and normally will withstand high temps but will melt nearly as well as a stock piston!

Turbo Zetec 8deg total timing at 1bar
Cosworth (stock engine) 7-9deg at 1 bar
Cosworth race engine 5deg at 22psi
Nissan 300xz (stock engine) 16deg at 1bar
Nissan race engine (550+bhp) 7deg at 25psi

The stock bike engine will breath very well, so loads of timing is not required, when you modify a car engine to make it breath LESS timing is required.

These figures are what i have seen on my dyno.

Thanks for those numbers. I will drop the timing a bit more.
Stock timing on a GSXR1100w is 35deg. Ignition advancers add about 4deg to this and boost power (this is all Normally Aspirated). This is an older engine than the Busa so I guess its less efficient.

My ignition map drops off with increasing boost, but I will make it drop-off more dramatically.

My intention is to pay to get the timing sorted out at some point, so will report back if this ever happens.

I got my present ignition values from here (at 8psi it would be 28deg), although the base map was based on a Suzuki Bandit RomRaided:
http://www.aperaceparts.com/COPE.HTML

Thanks for your help and good advice,

I am trying to learn

Matt

BaileyPerformance

posted on 30/5/11 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
I do agree running it too rich will hurt power, that is true on most turbo engines, but the extra fuel gives you some insurance while you are getting the timing right, going from 11 to 12 AFR will only gain you 5% power at a guess, but one day you mite get the engine abit hot (hot air temp) and cause det. The sensible way to go is run 12 at low boost (5psi), more fuel at high boost.(15psi)

The optimum AFR to ignite the fuel is 11AFR, more or less fuel is harder to burn.

I had problems with the stock Hayabusa COPs, swapped to Ford coilpack and all was well, wouldnt be too much effort to swap from dyna to Ford? i know the Ford coilpack is good to 14KRPM

I would run 9/10 plugs (nothing fancy) gapped at 0.8mm

would be very interested on how much power it makes, what are they stock?

froggy

posted on 30/5/11 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
if you get a clean rev with no boost its showing your spark strength up as its hard work with the charge time on a bike engine to keep the spark strength at high revs . it may well make a couple of psi with the gate pinned but should prove a point and from what you said it does sound like you need a better spark

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r187/froggy_0[IMG]

matt_gsxr

posted on 30/5/11 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BaileyPerformance
I do agree running it too rich will hurt power, that is true on most turbo engines, but the extra fuel gives you some insurance while you are getting the timing right, going from 11 to 12 AFR will only gain you 5% power at a guess, but one day you mite get the engine abit hot (hot air temp) and cause det. The sensible way to go is run 12 at low boost (5psi), more fuel at high boost.(15psi)

The optimum AFR to ignite the fuel is 11AFR, more or less fuel is harder to burn.

I had problems with the stock Hayabusa COPs, swapped to Ford coilpack and all was well, wouldnt be too much effort to swap from dyna to Ford? i know the Ford coilpack is good to 14KRPM

I would run 9/10 plugs (nothing fancy) gapped at 0.8mm

would be very interested on how much power it makes, what are they stock?

Thanks again for your expert advice. It sounds like a good idea to aim for AFR of 11 whilst I get everything nice.

People drag these a fair amount so there are some silly numbers. But it seems that 250bhp at about 1atm should be reasonable, and matches the Td04-16T power output in the Volvo T5R.

Stock power is rated at 150bhp (on carbs), but these figures are seen as optimistic by most even when new and this is a 1994 engine.

As you probably know these were used in sidecars and I am told (by a sidecar guy who also raced these extensively) that Steve Webster (serial world champ) got 210-220bhp out of one (normally aspirated, but bored out, big valves, LCR's, etc etc).

At the moment I have wasted spark. So not sure how that would convert. I haven't got the end of my brick yet, so will try some of the ideas from here which are mostly software before getting on e-bay!

Plugs were stock (9's), but I will try Iridium ones (as I have a set kicking around), and will check the gaping.

Thanks again,

Matt

BaileyPerformance

posted on 30/5/11 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by froggy
if you get a clean rev with no boost its showing your spark strength up as its hard work with the charge time on a bike engine to keep the spark strength at high revs . it may well make a couple of psi with the gate pinned but should prove a point and from what you said it does sound like you need a better spark

Running the engine with little or no boost will not show up a weak spark, the stock bike ignitions are only just good enough for NA.
The problem starts when the cylinder pressures get too high (under boost) for the spark to jump the plug gap.
The only 2 solutions are - close plug gaps or get a more powerful ignition setup
i know the stock Ford coilpacks are good for 24PSI on a zetec, it made 355BHP at around 7K, used same coilpack on a honda type R engine on MS in grasscar, made 210BHP at 9K

matt_gsxr

posted on 30/5/11 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by froggy

Oh I get it.
This engine has reved to 11500rpm before with no previous sparking problems. But its a good idea as I could easily have component failure.

Good idea.

Matt

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.