Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2.0l Zetec Zx9 Carbs
kylerichmond

posted on 30/5/11 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
2.0l Zetec Zx9 Carbs

I have fitted a silvertop 2l Zetec with Zx9 carbs running megajolt and map sensor, the carbs were sent to Bogg brothers to be jetted and put on the car, the car idles well and drives well upto about 65-70mph, then it really struggles unless you gradually build speed slowly by backing off the throttle.
The carbs are Keihin CVK marked with 94 (presume 1994) Serial: G067A1DB, They have been fitted with 160 main jets.
My question is that when Bogg Bros jet them do they jet them so they are too rich to prevent engine damage?
My brother is running an identical setup but has used 170 main jets and his pulls right through 70mph well.
I should really get my car rolling roaded but have not got the cash atm,
Are these symptoms likly to my car been to rich or lean? do i drill my jets to 170?

cliftyhanger

posted on 30/5/11 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look at the plugs after a run at 60mph. If black, it is rich, if very pale, then lean. Lean is very bad
I would hope if they were supplied jetted, they would be rich rather than lean.
However, best bet is a session on the rollers, or beg/borrow/steal a wideband lambda setup so you can test it on the road.
This could save the engine....guesswork is non too helpful.

austin man

posted on 30/5/11 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
mines a 1.8 silvertop with megajolt, I believe this has 1.6 jets when its floored it is fuel rich as you can smell the juice. I would redrill your jets and ensure you have the same map. PS have you connected TPS ??

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

kylerichmond

posted on 30/5/11 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
What size jet would you think is about right?
deltron63

posted on 30/5/11 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
Make sure the main jets are tight, one of mine fell out!! It had the same problem as yours
jacko

posted on 30/5/11 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
Is the air correction holes blocked ?boggs told me this stops the carbs going week at high revs
why not give boggs a phone call and ask there advice thats what i would do
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
avagolen

posted on 30/5/11 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
If I remember my conversations with BB, they recomend a rolling road before 'proper driving' as the initial jetting is just to get it running.

My 1.8 silvertop with ZX6R carbs have 1.6 jets and they told me 'that's a good starting point'. ( still building the engine at the moment)

Len.

The Answer for everything, but never the last word....

jacko

posted on 30/5/11 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
It needs to be on a rolling road
my pinto is a 2+L on zx9r / E carbs and has 1.7 mm main jets

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bbwales

posted on 30/5/11 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
My Blacktop Zetec 2.0 ltr is running Bandit 1200 carbs and main jets are 1.5 runs well and gives me 45 MPG.

Regards

Bob

mcerd1

posted on 30/5/11 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by avagolen
If I remember my conversations with BB, they recomend a rolling road before 'proper driving' as the initial jetting is just to get it running.

exactly what they told me too

-

kylerichmond

posted on 3/6/11 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
Today is tried various min jets including 1.7mm which ran really smooth, and 1.8mm, the jets fitted by Bogg Bros when i checked they were marked at different sizes however i think they have drilled them to a size (Unknown), with all the jets the same problem occured, when in high revs with foot down hard the car stutted and backed off, it will accelerate if i back of but more like a gradual build up, i then decided to block the air correctors up by bunging matchsticks into the four holes, this did improve things however the hesitation is still there, any ideas what to do next?
How has everyonr elseblocked there air correctors?

austin man

posted on 3/6/11 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Is your TPS set up correctly, if it accelerates on back off it seem like it could be over rich or that the timing is slightly out

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

kylerichmond

posted on 3/6/11 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Im using a maf sensor setup, my brothers runs fine, same setup but his carbs came already dynojetted,
im going to try the jets that Boggs fitted and block to air correctors tommorow, You think it maybe rich, i thought it was becoming lean at high revs, thats why i blocked the air correctors which helped

Craigorypeck

posted on 3/6/11 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
I have ended up with 135 dgav main jets in my ZX9R C1 carbed cossie YB, have dynojet needles in and airs blocked (were blocked when I got them), Pulls all the way on WOT from 2500 with 12:1 afr to near the 7250rpm red line, does start to creep towards 13.5:1 on the last 1000 rpm.. I tried all the suggested 180+ jets recommended for 2.0L and it ran so rich all over the shop! Felt really boggy and the afr was was off the scale which is 8:1 on any WOT. Getting 35 to the gallon and I'm not fannying around.
What advance do you have got on full wot? Take a screen shot of your megajolt map and stick it up, some peeps will be able to advise maybe?
Check for air leak?

mcerd1

posted on 4/6/11 at 12:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kylerichmond
Im using a maf sensor setup

do you mean a map sensor ?

how have you got it connected up ?

-

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.