Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BEC MPG
MikeFellows

posted on 10/10/11 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
BEC MPG

was just sat and came to the conclusion I have absolutely no idea what MPG to expect when just driving the car normally.

I was thinking of driving it to a friends wedding in Lake Garda next year, but then thought what if it only does 20mpg, and i have to stop and fill up every hour.

what experience do you guys running it have, Ive had high power light weight cars previously (not 7 light i must admit) and always found them to be pretty good but ive never had a bike or bike engine so i have no clue

Suzuki claim 35mpg for the Busa but thats a bike not a car and ive no clue how the diff helps (or makes it worse)

thanks

bobinspain

posted on 10/10/11 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeFellows
was just sat and came to the conclusion I have absolutely no idea what MPG to expect when just driving the car normally.

I was thinking of driving it to a friends wedding in Lake Garda next year, but then thought what if it only does 20mpg, and i have to stop and fill up every hour.

what experience do you guys running it have, Ive had high power light weight cars previously (not 7 light i must admit) and always found them to be pretty good but ive never had a bike or bike engine so i have no clue

Suzuki claim 35mpg for the Busa but thats a bike not a car and ive no clue how the diff helps (or makes it worse)

thanks

Mike, I saw a post on here today where the owner of a 'Busa engined '7 type' said 17mpg and worse if he really caned it.
(Mini Z-car thread from memory).
Most disturbing!

MikeFellows

posted on 10/10/11 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
yep that's what prompted me to ask, it seems pretty horrific in these times

like I say suzuki quote 35mpg but thats lighter and im guessing a lot more aerodynamic than a 7

I hadnt even considered it until i seen that post

tandi

posted on 10/10/11 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
My fury blade does about 28-30 if driven sedately and cruising at 70.
Quite hard to resist the temptation sometimes though :-)

ReMan

posted on 10/10/11 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
Yes same around 30mpg if driven "sensibly" on the road bit more if kept to 50-60mph

Less sensibly or track 10-20mpg

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

bob tatt

posted on 10/10/11 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
The lowest I got was nine average at donnington on a very warm day there when I caned it all day and the best was twelve at cadwell in the wet. On the road though I have no idea as it's a toy so I'm not bothered about mpg, I'd say drive it over there it's an adventure and will beat any trip in a tin top besides you won't be going daft if you leave enough time to get there
jimgiblett

posted on 10/10/11 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to say this but Busas are notoriously thirsty 20mpg should be seen as reasonable. 30-35 mpg for the R1/blade.

- Jim

matt_gsxr

posted on 10/10/11 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
If you take it steady and have gearing that keeps the engine are reasonably low speed then 30mpg should be within reach.

I got 35+mpg on a 100+mile run to Llandow with fuel injection on my gsxr1100 (before the turbo).

Now I have fitted the turbo the fuel gauge really starts moving! WOT in 2nd gets it as low as 2.5mpg, but only for a couple of seconds.

similar thread here
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=156226

Edited to say, didn't realise Busa's were so bad for this. I bow to Jim's greater knowledge.

[Edited on 10/10/11 by matt_gsxr]

hobbsy

posted on 10/10/11 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah you can get over 30mpg (I think I've got 35mpg out of my injected R1 in the Fury) but a lot depends on gearing and drag.

If you're geared shorter then you're likely to be in the power band and this is where it'll start to drink the juice.

Also power required goes up with the cube of speed (twice as fast needs 8x the power) and that's mostly because of drag. If you've got a car with an air brake for a windscreen the extra 10mph you might want to make good progress may cost you another 5mpg or so.

jase380

posted on 10/10/11 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
My indy zx10 did mid 30 s if drove it steady, that was after remapping at daytuner, it was only doing low 20 s before.
Guinness

posted on 10/10/11 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
TBH you'll need to get out once an hour to stretch your legs. I can drive for a couple of hours on a spirited blat through the countryside, but an hour on the motorway is dull and the prolonged / sustained high revs / vibration means I'm usually pretty glad of the need to stop and fill up.
cosmick

posted on 10/10/11 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
I can tell you that my Westfield Megabusa achieves 30 mpg when driven on a long distances at legal speeds, and to be happy about fill ups, tend to stop every 100 miles or so.
The high fuel consumption figures would only normally be achieved on track days and, yes I have been in the teens to the gallon, but boy what fun.

If it can't be fixed with a hammer then its probably an electrical problem.

brookie

posted on 10/10/11 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jase380
My indy zx10 did mid 30 s if drove it steady, that was after remapping at daytuner, it was only doing low 20 s before.

jase u never drove yours steady m8 lol

skippad

posted on 10/10/11 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
I usually see 30-35mph on motorways (when i have to...boring) thats with a 3.14 diff.
But hey i didnt buy the car to drive sensibly....
I did a Blyton track day and i used 10 gals no problem!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jase380

posted on 10/10/11 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brookie
quote:
Originally posted by jase380

jase u never drove yours steady m8 lol

Did once when i followed parky to newark !!, didnt like it though... more leg room when your foots flat down !!

richard thomas

posted on 10/10/11 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
I get 30mpg at 70mph.....

Much less if i try hard.....

Hellfire

posted on 10/10/11 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Our Fireblade engined MK used to return 28mpg. The ZX12R returns about 18mpg.

Phil

r1bob

posted on 10/10/11 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
35 mpg tootling along,,, about 20 mpg drivin like it's stolen !
adithorp

posted on 10/10/11 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
I get 30+ from my R1 Fury on the motorway. Goes down to 15-20 on track.

Don't listen to those who say you can't drive long distances in a BEC. I've done over 400miles in a day several times and so has JimG... but we're just amateurs compared to Hobbsy.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Custardpants

posted on 10/10/11 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Have gotten mid 30s on my remapped daytuner hayabusa engined MK running the standard 3.62 diff, cruising at 65ish on the motorway. 10ish litres used in approx 65 miles. Much less when pushing though - went out earlier and averaged about 17 mpg.

To be honest i wouldn't want the car to have a longer range than 100 miles - I wouldn't want an engine doing 5/6k rpm in sixth gear for any longer than that, and you will also need a break if you don't have a windscreen!

The busa bike has far longer gearing and lower air resistance - i'd bet a remapped one will get 40+ mpg realistically driven at the same speed. With each month that progresses i get closer to buying a hayabusa bike, id love to try one.

Thurbs

posted on 11/10/11 at 04:15 AM Reply With Quote
Who cares !!! buy a prius if your bothered about economy
mad-butcher

posted on 11/10/11 at 06:50 AM Reply With Quote
Went to work in the blade the other week (I work nights) with 2 gallon in the tank, 17 mile run down M53, steady 65-70 used half a gallon, came home at 100+ arrived home with an empty tank and grinning like a cheshire cat

tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Toprivetguns

posted on 11/10/11 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeFellows

thanks

With my recent trip to Lake Garda, you'll be hooooning around like a good un'..... ! The roads are fantastic

Only drive as fast as your angel can fly... !

iiyama

posted on 16/10/11 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
Just got back from the South of France, did around 550 miles in the Rush while there. Trip computer tells me I was averaging 6.8mpg, I think thats a little pessimistic!

If its broke, fix it. If it aint broke, take it apart and find out how it works!

Benzo

posted on 23/10/11 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
I cant say i have ever taken my BEC out for a day without being a hooligan so i really cant say ive driven normally for more than 5miles at a time.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.