Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Time Breakdown?!
Louis M

posted on 10/8/04 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
Time Breakdown?!

I may be completely off, but what amount of time does it really take to build this? THis is my best guess now:

Planning: Forever (or so it feels)
Chassis: 60 hrs
Riveting Panels, etc.: 20 hrs
Suspension: 20 hrs
Engine Fitting, Electricals, etc.: 40 hrs
Rest of body work: 20 hrs

That feels really short, but is that right? BTW, this is assuming a book chassis with the dimensions the same.

derf

posted on 10/8/04 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
Ive been at this since february, roughly 10 hours a week, some times less, sometimes more, took 2 weeks off in may, and 3 in june when I went away on bussiness, so I'm liooking at roughly 230 hours (give or take), car is as pictured bellow (taken last night) the engine and tranny are mounted as well as the brake box. The other side of the front suspension hasnt been done yet, thats another 5 hours or so of work.

Description
Description

Sorry about the bad quality, my cameras usb cable got lost, took this with a cell phone.

[Edited on 10/8/04 by derf]

Hellfire

posted on 10/8/04 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
Took us about 500 minimum...

Toolbox_USA

posted on 10/8/04 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
If you had all of the parts on hand, and were well organised, you *might* be able to pull it off in that short of a time frame.

Realistically, there's all that running around for nuts and bolts, drinking a few pints, and plain ol' taking your time and enjoying the build.

There's the fast way, and the right way, also...

I'm planning on around 500 hours, myself.

[Edited on 8/10/2004 by Toolbox_USA]

[Edited on 8/10/2004 by Toolbox_USA]

Jeff

derf

posted on 10/8/04 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
Tool, you got it right, although I havnt used a single decent nut and bolt I do wase alot of time running back and forth to the store for last minute stuff, or I get the wrong item spend a while trying to get it to work only to find out it doesnt.

230 is to the point it is now, I still have to finish the drivers side Front suspension, the seats, body fuel system, the pushrods and rockers for the front suspension, and the radiator. then I sdtart to play with the elecrical system, and since some one (i wont mention my own name) accidently cut through a big part of the warie harness for the motor it's gonna be a big mess to fix.

alfasudsprint

posted on 10/8/04 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
aw, go on, tell us! Who was it?

wasn't you was it???

RoadkillUK

posted on 10/8/04 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
It's taken 2 of us 3 years so far and our SVA is in 9 days. (9 DAYS SH!T)

Anyway, we usually spent approx. 7 hours a week, not to mention the few months we didn't bother at all. There's also the running about for a few nuts 'n' bolts etc, bad weather (lots of it this summer)

To sum it up, I have no idea how long it's taken us in hours and I refuse to add up the cost

I only really posted to be the first British post in the thread

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
derf

posted on 10/8/04 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
naw I would never get trigger happy with a sawzall when I'm pissed, and keep finding random wires that appear from no where.
JoelP

posted on 10/8/04 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RoadkillUK
I only really posted to be the first British post in the thread

you missed the hellfire squad then!

im at about 800 hours so far, SVA ready in maybe 20 hours more. That 800 includes designing it, if you could actually call my bodging 'designing'!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Mark Allanson

posted on 11/8/04 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
I must be at about 800 hours too, If you are building from scratch, most of the extra time over a kit is trying to design stuff to fit-work-look good.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

kingr

posted on 12/8/04 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
I would say I've spent well over 1000 hours over the course of around 1 1/2 years to get it through SVA (passed first time on Tuesday).

I did a lot of stuff myself though, so that would add to the time - painting the whole thing, custom making my exhaust, completely scratch built electrics, scratch built carbon fibre dash, the list goes on.

I guess if you bought a lot of stuff in, had all the right tools and stayed fairly standard you could probably do it in about half that.

Kingr

craig1410

posted on 13/8/04 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
A rule of thumb that I would offer is that the build will take about 3500-4000 units, with a unit being either a pound (GBP) or an hour. You can vary the ratio (within sensible limits) to suit your budget.

In my case I am probably heading for £3000 and about 800 hours. If you are really resourceful/clever/lucky then you can get the total number of units down a bit but the ratio still applies. Sometimes you can save a lot of time by spending a bit of cash (GRP bodywork for example) and other times you can spend loads of cash without benefiting much in terms of time (fancy seats for example).

Hope this helps,
Craig.

[Edited on 13/8/2004 by craig1410]

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.