Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lets talk about Seats
quadra

posted on 19/8/04 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
Lets talk about Seats

I'm after some new seats for my car to replace the squabs I currently have, which give no lateral support in corners. What I am after is either GRP or Carbon full length seat that will fit inside a seven cockpit. I know that westfield do some and martin sportscars, but does anyone have any experience of actually sitting in these seats for a reasonable period of time and how comfortable they are as well as the amount of support offered by the seat. My current problem is that when you are entering a corner at speed the squab allows your bottom to move sideways which gives the impression that they car is starting to slide, which it is not.
All help would be greatfully appreciated.

Mike

phelpsa

posted on 19/8/04 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
Stuart Taylor do some nice GRP ones, I have just bought one.

Adam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mad4x4

posted on 19/8/04 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
MK do some GRP style seats.

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

ned

posted on 19/8/04 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
The MK r500-a-like grp seats are nice..
...and good value

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
locoboy

posted on 19/8/04 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by quadra
the squab allows your bottom to move sideways

I wish! Eat more food and drink loads of ale and your ass will soon fill the space available you will probably spend as much as you would buying a pair of seats but you get pi55ed in the process - cant be bad :p

Im currenlty working up to removing my seats and sitting on the floor with the transmission tunnel and chassis side rails for support

ATB
Locoboy

subk2002

posted on 19/8/04 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
ditto ned
Would go for the mkr500-a-like

Thay look the part

Drew

Hellfire

posted on 19/8/04 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
Being as we have them too - I'd ditto the previous comments about MK R500'ish seats.

If we're talking about Seats - I quite like the Leon Cupra (1.8T, goes like stink!)

phelpsa

posted on 19/8/04 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
I like the Superb, lots of leg room and comfortable seats (which is more than you can say for the MK R500ish ones)

Adam

Viper

posted on 19/8/04 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
I bought the Richfield RX777 bloomin comfy seats, you have to have a bit of comfort.
Tim

quadra

posted on 22/8/04 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
I agree that some of these seats look good, but how good are they in practice i.e. do they flex alot, are they comfy for more than 30 mins driving, overall finish quality etc. Sorry to be so questioning but I don't want to buy a seat that just looks good its got to work.

Mike

NS Dev

posted on 29/8/04 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
Having made my own seat for my last car, I can say that getting a seat to be comfortable is dead simple, and very complicated, at the same time!!

Dead simple in that if it fits you perfectly, you don't even need padding at all, bare grp or metal is fine, you won't get uncomfortable or bruised.

Complex in that to get to fit perfectly it really needs to be custom made for you!

(that's why I made my own!)

The thing to look for is that the seat takes your bodyweight on the underside and sides of your thighs and not on your a*se. If you can feel all your weight transferring through your backside then it will not be comfortable over long distances.

As another guide, a seat needs to be much narrower than you think! As with a correctly fitted helmet, you need to be a snug fit (almost bordering on tight fit). A seat which is too big is very uncomfortable as again all the weigh goes straight through your bum and none through your thighs!

There we go. my opinions on seat design!!

DarrenW

posted on 8/9/04 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
Ive just been out for a demo drive in Mac#1 Motorsports demo car fitted with their shell seats. Admittedly the trimmed the extra bits were fitted but i found these to be very comfortable on a 40 min run out. (I do admit however to have been ever so slightly thinking about everything other than numb a**ses!) Ive ordered a pair with the kit - v. impressed. I was concerned that my wife would not be impressed by the visual lack of comfort - im sure there wont be a problem. I now have the option of comfort with the pads for Sunday jollies or raw GRP for trackdays.

Darren.

ned

posted on 8/9/04 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
cobra roadster 7's are also popular, but one of hte heavier ones imho.

intatrim odysey's are nice (see jasper's archive for a pic) and available in many colours, nice and lightweight, though a tad pricey imho.

i've heard fibreglass seats are only good for upto an hour of driving (if taht) on the road, track is a bit different..

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

DaveFJ

posted on 8/9/04 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
I picked my seats at donington - a little bit pricey but seem comfortable and well made

Also a perfect fit for extremely narrow Avon!

Steel framed, high backed and with harness holes

Some of you may have seen them actually coz they were on the YKC sportscars stand....

like I say £300 was maybe a bit more than I wanted to spend but they do look good in the car

I will try to get a piccy when my camera is fixed.

>> Camera fixed :
Seat
Seat

[Edited on 8/9/04 by protofj]

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

Hugh Paterson

posted on 8/9/04 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
Steve (Tadltd) has a seat in the LMP that does the business, but the upholsterer finds it a twat to cover, ask him for a phot if your interested troops, were rethinking the bit for yer bum to make it easier to produce, a word of warning not for lard *$ses, I think the word is snug. The current shape works alright with GRP but aint to hot to build in carbon which is also why we are thinking of compromising. Will have a look at the plug to see what I can do to improve it if anyones interested? It copes ok with 3G

Shug.

NS Dev

posted on 8/9/04 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

i've heard fibreglass seats are only good for upto an hour of driving (if taht) on the road, track is a bit different..

Ned.

Fibreglass seats are only a problem if they are not a good fit, as I mentioned earlier, if they fit, they will be comfy, bare GRP or not. (your body has ample padding (well mine does anyway!!!) it's just a matter of stopping the body's padding moving away from the areas supporting you in the seat, if it does, the pressure on the bone will increase and the discomfort will increase) Basically the tighter the seat (within reason) the more comfortable. Competition seats that are too wide (which is almost always the case so lard a**es can fit in them. (sorry!)) are chronically uncomfortable. I know this from experience as I am quite narrow-hipped. However tight fitting competition seats with no padding are really comfy.

When I made my steel seat for my grasser I put it in my living room and used it instead of the sofa in the evening when watching telly, and I know this sounds ridiculous but the bare steel was much more comfy over a couple of hours than the sofa!!!!!....It's all to do with the fit!!!...

skinny

posted on 9/9/04 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
I have just made my own seats - well kinda

with the car came a horrible seat - drivers side seat pad and a one piece backrest all across the back with a gap for the transmission tunnel. the foam was about 6 inches thick, very firm, and rounded - as a result you were sitting very high up and way too far forwards.

frustated at my lack of progress in other areas (and money) i decided to tackle it.

first the seat pad, i cut the height down to about 2 inches using a saw, from the back of the seat to about 7-8 inches from the front of the seat, then sloped it upwards to a height of around 5 inches, which is the thickness for the front 6-7 inches, to give a bit of support towards the knees.

for the back (which sits on top of the rear of the seat pad) i left the bottom bit intact for some lumbar support but about 6 inches up from the back, i again reduced the thickness to about 2 inches all the way up to the top. i also left it original thickness to the sides of the seat (about 2 inches to the outside of the car and across the middle bit that goes over the tranny tunnel) for a bit of lateral support.

recovered the seats in the vinyl (no staple gun to had to re-use the staples and hammer them back into the original staple holes probably took me a full day to complete. but they are really comfy, lightweight, and cheap!

still got to do a passenger seat pad...or could just use a cushion

if you don't fail, you aren't trying hard enough.

vintagebuilder

posted on 9/9/04 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Evening All,

Had a sit in an Indy last night fitted with Baby Cubs very comfortable and approx half the price of the Cobra 7.

David

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.