New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Beautiful 2012 Ferrari
James

posted on 3/2/12 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
Beautiful 2012 Ferrari

Well done on such a stunner there boys!

Beautiful Ferrari
Beautiful Ferrari

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

James

posted on 3/2/12 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
On a more sensible note, I'm looking forward to seeing the Red Bull. So far Mclaren are the only team without the ugly 'Platypus' nose and I wonder if there's some inherent aero advantage in the ugly version and Mclaren are missing out. Can all the other teams (those that have released their cars so far!) have got it wrong? Doubt it!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

blakep82

posted on 3/2/12 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
gives me the boak. not the heavy boak, not the dry boak, the heavin' boak!

yeah, i don't understand it, gives a thinner nose yeah, then widens up for drivers feet, ok, but why so sharply? surely that gives some amount of air resistance? very strange

[Edited on 3/2/12 by blakep82]

just seen this
http://www.enterf1.com/f1/Why-do-the-2012-F1-cars-feature-stepped-noses.asp

rule changes five a maximum height for the nose, but the rules lowered the height limit, so this way they still keep the high nose for channeling air underneath, but are still within the upper height limit! interesting!

[Edited on 3/2/12 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Daddylonglegs

posted on 3/2/12 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.......

Looks a bit 'Duttony' to me

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

roadrunner

posted on 3/2/12 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
I hope they loose every race. COME ON MCLAREN .
loggyboy

posted on 3/2/12 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
My feelings are that Mclaren have bent the rules to get their nose shaped as it is. and I bet they have a backup platypus incase FIA rule in favour. They have already admited to expect to get its legailty challenged by other teams:
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/31012012/66/mclaren-set-new-car-legality-fight.html

James

posted on 3/2/12 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
My feelings are that Mclaren have bent the rules to get their nose shaped as it is. and I bet they have a backup platypus incase FIA rule in favour. They have already admited to expect to get its legailty challenged by other teams:
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/31012012/66/mclaren-set-new-car-legality-fight.html

There's nothing in that article to say it's the legality of the nose that's going to be challenged.

Secondly, be careful what you read into that article. There's something fairly mysterious going on, it was first published and then rapidly pulled by Autosport. No one's ever really heard of the journalist who wrote it and a bunch of other dubious stuff that I'm too tired to recall. Suggestion Autosport got hacked by the journalist etc. etc.
http://tinyurl.com/8852jke

Cheers,
James

ETA: If you want to read technical details on F1 then Scarbs blog is fantastic:
http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/

He discusses the Mclaren nose. The new rules state it must be below 55cm... the Mclaren nose is about 50cm.

[Edited on 3/2/12 by James]

loggyboy

posted on 3/2/12 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
There's nothing in that article to say it's the legality of the nose that's going to be challenged.

Secondly, be careful what you read into that article. There's something fairly mysterious going on, it was first published and then rapidly pulled by Autosport. No one's ever really heard of the journalist who wrote it and a bunch of other dubious stuff that I'm too tired to recall. Suggestion Autosport got hacked by the journalist etc. etc.

Cheers,
James

ETA: If you want to read technical details on F1 then Scarbs blog is fantastic:
http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/

He discusses the Mclaren nose. The new rules state it must be below 55cm... the Mclaren nose is about 50cm.

I did notice that it had been pulled from another site, I felt is was more likely that Mclaren had requested it be pulled as it was setting themselves up for a fall.
Also, the nose must be 55high from tip to bulkead, so allthough you are right the mclaren nose may be lower at the tip, it would appear to extend up to the 62.5mm reference plane height before the bulkhead is reached.

EDIT - that picture has no reference to dimensions, they could just be made up! theres nothing to say the dimension of 58mm they show is not 62.5

[Edited on 3/2/12 by loggyboy]

RK

posted on 3/2/12 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
It's not very encouraging is it? Fortunately, as we get older, our eyesight is not as good as it was and we won't notice as much.

[Edited on 3/2/12 by RK]

James

posted on 3/2/12 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy

EDIT - that picture has no reference to dimensions, they could just be made up! theres nothing to say the dimension of 58mm they show is not 62.5

[Edited on 3/2/12 by loggyboy]

I believe that F1 wheels have a standard size? That should have been put in the pic as well.

Scarbs is one of the most respected technical blogs on the web, writes about all the cars and manufacturers. I doubt he'd have been invited to the Mclaren launch at MTC if he wasn't reasonably well regarded.

Cheers,
James

[Edited on 3/2/12 by James]

loggyboy

posted on 3/2/12 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
I guess only time will tell...
GRRR

posted on 3/2/12 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
The McLaren is actually a beautiful race car this year (well, relative to the others anyway)

oldtimer

posted on 3/2/12 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
Bit of a fugly ferrari in my book. Boxy and stepped.
Neville Jones

posted on 3/2/12 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
On a more sensible note, I'm looking forward to seeing the Red Bull.So far Mclaren are the only team without the ugly 'Platypus' nose and I wonder if there's some inherent aero advantage in the ugly version and Mclaren are missing out. Can all the other teams (those that have released their cars so far!) have got it wrong? Doubt it!

Cheers,
James

I'm reliably told, not to expect it to look pretty.

Cheers,
Nev.

[Edited on 3/2/12 by Neville Jones]

omega 24 v6

posted on 3/2/12 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
Ah the winning McLaren and cheating Ferrari saga will soon begin. i like both cars though.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

designer

posted on 3/2/12 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
If that is beautiful, my eyes must be worse than I thought!!

Back to Specsavers!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Coopz

posted on 3/2/12 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
I really dislike this new ruling... One reason I love to watch F1 is just to see these amazing machines! And bar the Mclaren which in my eyes is as perfect to look at as a F1 car should be.... it looks like were going to have a grid full of of Ugly Platypuses. I do hope the Red Bull is a thing of beauty also...But perhaps a bit slower as I would like to see a Mclaren lift the title
Johneturbo

posted on 7/2/12 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
The FW34 has also the stepped nose, so is that only the maccys that don't have it so far

loggyboy

posted on 7/2/12 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
redbull and torro have it, allthough the toro is more nearly masked by shoulders on either side (similar to redbulls of previous years)

Redbull = URGH:

Better but still BLEURGH:

Force india also showing shoulders to mask the hump front of nostradame:

HRT is halh way between the hump and slope, better than hump.

But as stated above, the Mclaren is the ONLY pretty cars this year. Lets hope that doesnt translate to less performance.

Johneturbo

posted on 7/2/12 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
From what i've read it's down to the maccys having a car that last year would have met the new 2012 regs so have refined it, where most of the other teams have had to adapt what they had last year ie the stpped nose
so hopefuly that means the maccys might have a wee head start and hit the ground running

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.