Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lightweight batteries.
Gary 7

posted on 21/3/12 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
Lightweight batteries.

Found this on piston heads interesting idea for a locost lightweight battery. Loads on ebay under £30 notes.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=623932

big-vee-twin

posted on 21/3/12 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
Odyssey PC680 Lightweight battery

[img] Engine Bay
Engine Bay
[/img]

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

FuryRebuild

posted on 21/3/12 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
I swear by varley red-tops.

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

RK

posted on 21/3/12 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
Second the Odyssey PC680, but make sure you drive your car a lot to keep it charged. And don't leave it outside in negative temperatures... Mine spent more time testing electrical circuits than driving in the car, so it wore out. I replaced it with a (relatively) huge PC925 which is, I think more suitable for me.
Gary 7

posted on 21/3/12 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the response , but the thread is about using a cheap battery as used in pc backup ,gollf carts and the like .thats the type of battery the guy has used.
belgian2b

posted on 21/3/12 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
Hello,

Give a look at this :

http://www.super-b.com/

MikeRJ

posted on 21/3/12 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gary 7
Thanks for the response , but the thread is about using a cheap battery as used in pc backup ,gollf carts and the like .thats the type of battery the guy has used.

The same guy that says he pampers his car and then buys the cheapest and smallest SLA battery he can find for it? I wonder if his uses engine oil from the pound shop as well...

These are the same ones used in many jump start packs, and they simply don't have sufficient CCA rating for larger engines IME. I doubt they will take kindly at all to the charging currents a modern alternator can push out either - so don't let it get flat.

spiderman

posted on 21/3/12 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
pc680 battery £80+ on ebay. So where are the £30 ones and what are they called?

Spider

Gary 7

posted on 21/3/12 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
Do a ebay search for 12v 18ah battery for the same type the guy used in the piston head thread. I have not used one myself, ,just posted a link to some.body that has.
djtom

posted on 22/3/12 at 12:44 AM Reply With Quote
Done exactly that in my car. 2l Zetec Turbo with an 18Ah Yuasa golf cart battery in it. Works perfectly, no problem with cranking at all. If I'm leaving it laid up for any length of time (> 1 month) I put a trickle charger on it, but otherwise it gets the normal (ab)use the rest of the car puts up with!

Very impressed so far. Think it cost me £23 delivered from ebay.

Tom

Gary 7

posted on 22/3/12 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Good locost option then , cheers tom
rdodger

posted on 22/3/12 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
Originally posted by Gary 7

The same guy that says he pampers his car and then buys the cheapest and smallest SLA battery he can find for it? I wonder if his uses engine oil from the pound shop as well...

These are the same ones used in many jump start packs, and they simply don't have sufficient CCA rating for larger engines IME. I doubt they will take kindly at all to the charging currents a modern alternator can push out either - so don't let it get flat.

Have a read of this thread. It details the rebuild of his Exige. I think pamper is an understatement.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=15&t=574785&mid=85125&nmt=Exige+S1+over%2Dwinter+Refresh

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.