Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Income tax
Ninehigh

posted on 24/3/12 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Income tax

Gotta go here cos this one is a flaming joke!

Due to be laid off/redundant/something to that effect soon, so missus had the good idea of getting hold of my tax records so I have proof of work..

Well it came in today and it's a bleeding mess...
I have 2 entries from when I delivered pizzas for a while... one states I earned about £60, the other over £200k... no tax...

I have several entries of zero, one of which I've never heard of... and my period of self employment is missing..

Basically I can't make any sense of it, it doesn't match up to my CV.. I'm gonna have to call them back and ask for the real one.

But what if that IS the real one? What do I do if they've kept worse records than me?

designer

posted on 24/3/12 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
Don't see how having these records will help, the only date worth knowing is when you were laid off/redundant/whatever: the rest is on your CV.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
afj

posted on 24/3/12 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
Think he means it looks like he paid no tax while delivering pizza earning 200k so he owes 40k in tax. Must be an error

eerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Ninehigh

posted on 24/3/12 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
Employers don't look at your cv...

I was also after this as proof of employment, but if I show that at an interview I'm gonna get kicked out

Also since I can't trust them to keep records of what they do, how can I trust they've ever taken the right amount of tax?

designer

posted on 24/3/12 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

ALL employers scan CV's.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
daviep

posted on 24/3/12 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh

I was also after this as proof of employment, but if I show that at an interview I'm gonna get kicked out

Also since I can't trust them to keep records of what they do, how can I trust they've ever taken the right amount of tax?

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic but surely a prospective employer would want to see a CV? and why would they have any interest in your tax records?

Sorry if I'm missing the point.

Cheers
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

MakeEverything

posted on 24/3/12 at 11:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daviep
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic but surely a prospective employer would want to see a CV? and why would they have any interest in your tax records?

Sorry if I'm missing the point.

Cheers
Davie

+1

We use CVs for the purpose that they were invented. I don't know anyone that doesn't when recruiting. I've never heard / seen anyone producing a tax record. Its private and confidential, and none of anyone else's business but yours. The usual method of proving employment is a reference.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

Ninehigh

posted on 25/3/12 at 01:51 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah but a company that doesn't exist can't provide a reference... Something I've had a lot of problems with... Even if a tax record isn't proof enough of employment I'm not sure I can trust that I've been taxed properly, and how do I know I'm not going to be suddenly landed with a tax bill of a hundred grand here?

I'm really concerned about this.. They could owe me thousands!
Also I'd be sacked for being that bad..

RK

posted on 29/3/12 at 02:45 AM Reply With Quote
I assume the employer wants to know how much tax to deduct so you are not faced with owing huge amounts at the end of the year. I can't make sense of the rest of it! Can't the Revenue people send you a statement of some kind?
Ninehigh

posted on 29/3/12 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
Well that IS the statement, filled with errors...

I wanted it in case there was ever a company that can't give me a reference due to no longer existing (which I suspect may be the case with at least one company)
It has been so bad that one company suggested I get my tax records just to prove I worked there as most of the companies at the time had either changed management (and thus no-one remembers me) or gone under.

ceebmoj

posted on 29/3/12 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
If you are worded about the company no longer existing. Simply keep in touch with the person that would have written your reference and ask them at the appropriate time, or possibly ask for one now to keep on file.

I doubt that many company would ask for your tax record to prove employment. Surly this is why you are issues with a tax code so that employers do not see the details.

If you are concerned about the tax you have paid, surly you have kept your P45, P.. for the last 7 years when employed by others and have appropriate accounts for any period of self employment. You can then you can work it out for your self.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/Taxes/WorkingAndPayingTax/DG_10013512

If you are a member at piston heads ErickMC is usually very helpful when it comes to questions in the area of tax.

matt_gsxr

posted on 29/3/12 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
Why not furnish your prospective employer with a pile of your old pay slips.
Ninehigh

posted on 29/3/12 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ceebmoj
If you are worded about the company no longer existing. Simply keep in touch with the person that would have written your reference and ask them at the appropriate time, or possibly ask for one now to keep on file.

I doubt that many company would ask for your tax record to prove employment. Surly this is why you are issues with a tax code so that employers do not see the details.

If you are concerned about the tax you have paid, surly you have kept your P45, P.. for the last 7 years when employed by others and have appropriate accounts for any period of self employment. You can then you can work it out for your self.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/Taxes/WorkingAndPayingTax/DG_10013512

If you are a member at piston heads ErickMC is usually very helpful when it comes to questions in the area of tax.

I've never kept in touch with anyone that I've worked with, nor do I wish to. However next time I will have to ask for a reference before I leave.

VSG took my tax record as proof of employment.

I never recieved half of my P45's and anything else I'm probably going to be landed with NOW that I was supposed to get as it's the law.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.