Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: A whats it worth post
big_wasa

posted on 31/3/12 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
A whats it worth post

A genuine question, I am looking for an idea of what my locost is worth in today's market ?

Scratch built live axle locost.

capri axle with front track 4" wider to match axle.

Decent 15" allloys

rebuilt pre aug 95 2.0 zetec
Scholar engines low level sump
Scholar engines lightened 240mm flywheel.
Dunnell alternator kit
Mt75 gearbox + spare
Home brew fuel injection

D&F prop

Fisher sports cars exhaust.

OBP alloy Pedal box, fuel tank, swirl pot, catch tank.

Newton aero filler cap.

Gts panther bodywork.

Cai dials and sensors.

Momo caterham steering wheel.

lots and lots of new bit.

It has the paper work from ford for the engine for its age.

It has a chassis number and paper work.

It starts, It stops and it goes around corners. It needs a few jobs and Iva.
I have loved building it but its maybe time to do somthing elts. Like many others I enjoy the making side of the hobby.
Ive looked on ebay but not really anything to compare it to.
I may not be ready to let go and am just thinking aloud.

I am thinking, ask 2995 and go to 2700 Or am I way of ???

Is this a TRADE ADVERTISEMENT?? Click HERE to report it!

coozer

posted on 31/3/12 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Warren, its worth keeping and getting on the road, then, you will not regret it...

Stick in fella.. its all good!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Ben_Copeland

posted on 31/3/12 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
No IVA will be a big problem if your looking for decent money. Its worth a lot more with it !

You'll be very disapointed in the money if you sell it without IVA

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

diggerman007

posted on 31/3/12 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
I might be interested if you are serious about selling.......what docs do you have at the moment? its never been registered I take it.

daviep

posted on 31/3/12 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
I think you may be a little off, they're not making good money at the moment, maybe £2500 with out IVA and £4000 on the road. Even that might be optimistic.

Cheers
Davie

[Edited on 31/3/12 by daviep]

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

eddie99

posted on 31/3/12 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
I think its worth putting through IVA, will add so much to the value of the car. Good luck with it.

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
daniel mason

posted on 31/3/12 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
imho i'd say its under priced. its a great looking car and worth more than that!
im in the same position, (well not quite) but i cant afford to spend any more on mine and its not complete, i have advertised it for sale too as i cant afford to keep it due to house move.
ive loved building it but i made a mistake with some choices and ive payed through the nose for my mistakes!
dont give it away mate.

paulf

posted on 31/3/12 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
Warren I would get it through IVA and at least have a season driving it, you have put a lot of time and effort into building it and im sure you would regret selling it with out at least having a summer driving it and attending some shows etc.I also like building and fiddling with things probably more than driving it but could not bring my self to sell my car even though I only do a couple of thousand mile maximum in a year.If you do decide to sell after IVA then you will more than recover the cost of the test.
Paul

franky

posted on 31/3/12 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
With strikers on pistonheads for £3.5-4.5k OTR I think your right with your 2.5ish price. IMO
JoelP

posted on 31/3/12 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
id agree on the IVA bit, potential buyers will wonder if you havent finished it because its not built to the right level to pass. As it is, its a tidy collection of well assembled parts (quality bodywork noted), id suggest £2k. Finished and OTR at the beginning of summer, around £3500.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

mad-butcher

posted on 1/4/12 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
in agreement with all comments above especially JoelP, even an IVA fail might help with sale,
I've just been to look at a GT4 for £600 with no MOT ( only found that out after a 50 mile trip) even though it was well worth taking a chance on at that price, told the owner I'd give him £200 as a scrap car, had it had an MOT fail I would have been happy

tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scootz

posted on 1/4/12 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mad-butcher
... even an IVA fail might help with sale...

Not sure I agree Tony.

It's Evolution Baby!

Peteff

posted on 1/4/12 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
A fail at IVA will cost you more than you will make back on a sale. Finish it and drive it for a couple of years then sell it when it has a bit of history and development.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Proby

posted on 1/4/12 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
Get it IVA'd, it opens up the sale to a MUCH bigger audience!!! You'll get a much better price, and recoup your IVA costs.
emwmarine

posted on 3/4/12 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
Without IVA it's value is very difficult to predict.

Someone will be buying thinking they might have to strip it completely to show it's been amateur built by them. As other have said it's worth a collection of bits. The lack of an ECU and the difficulty of proving the age of an engine would make people worry about the emissions test as well.

You would probably make a lot more by selling all the bits separately on the bay of e. Heartbreaking but 150 quid for a type 9 gearbox, uprights, mirrors, exhaust etc etc it would all add up.

Having built a kit ten years ago I have just got back into it by buying a part completed Dax Rush, with image wheels and Toyo proxie tyres. Most of if it is having to come apart again not least to paint the whole chassis in POR after the original powder coating has flaked in many places.

There is a long list of receipts from DJ and others for bits adding up to over 9k. I paid less than then new cost of the wheels and tyres new. The seller was upset by the loss and said it took him a year and several ebay attempts to come to terms with the fact that something isn't worth what you have paid for it. Certainly, unless you complete it.

It is a big risk for the buyer of a part built kit, more so a locost, follow everyone's advice and see if you can't get it registered.

Building a Dax Rush.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.