Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Helmet
Michael

posted on 8/4/12 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
Helmet

I am looking at getting a Helmet for the times I go on the motorway. I was buffeted yesterday to and from Detling so looking at having one to stop the wind as I already have a screen.

I have a Demon Tweek Catalogue that I was sent earlier this year and saw one in there for under £100, now going on their site I see a Sparco X1 helmet that would do the trick, but want others opinions please.

I do not want to spend £100s but do want to be safe should something flick up. The aim is just to make the drive more pleasureable by removing the wind and buffeting.

Thanks.

pewe

posted on 8/4/12 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
Providing you have no intention of going racing a motorcycle helmet is more than adequate.
If the car is open i.e no roof most track day organisers will even allow them.
A motorcycling mate has visited the HJC factory (google hjc helmets) and was impressed by their build quality.
They are about half the price of ones designed for motorsport use and have the advantage of a wider field of vision.
HTH.
Cheers, Pewe10

D Beddows

posted on 8/4/12 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
Go to a shop and try some on - then buy the most comfortable cheapest one you find from wherever you find on the interweb is cheapest - for insect/stone protection you don't need an expensive helmet no matter what the safety/scare police might say in subsequent posts. If you're going on track days pay more - if you ride a bike too you need a better one but car and bike helmets aren't quite the same as bike helmets will try to pull your head off at speed in a car without a screen .......
PAUL FISHER

posted on 8/4/12 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
Ive got a couple of these, great for the money, ideal for road and trackdays.

OMP Fast Full Face Helmet White X-Large (61-63cm) (8027280211386) | eBay

IainL

posted on 8/4/12 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
Brought a V2 Pro helmet (see link below) earlier this year at the Autosport Show, very nice helemt and approved for motorsport (just incase).

Link....... V2 Pro Helmet

Cheers,
IainL

w4lrus

posted on 8/4/12 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pewe
Providing you have no intention of going racing a motorcycle helmet is more than adequate.
A motorcycling mate has visited the HJC factory (google hjc helmets) and was impressed by their build quality.
They are about half the price of ones designed for motorsport use and have the advantage of a wider field of vision.
HTH.
Cheers, Pewe10

Sorry to hijack, but are motorcycle helmets a no-no for track days? I was hoping that I would be able to use my Arai lid from when I used to ride

Dave Ashurst

posted on 8/4/12 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
I strongly recommend getting one with a good internal flip-down/flip-up sun visor.

D

Michael

posted on 8/4/12 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
I guess from the comment on sun visor that you can not wear sun glasses inside them?
PAUL FISHER

posted on 8/4/12 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by w4lrus
quote:
Originally posted by pewe
HTH.
Cheers, Pewe10

Sorry to hijack, but are motorcycle helmets a no-no for track days? I was hoping that I would be able to use my Arai lid from when I used to ride

You can use a motorcycle helmet on trackdays no problem

Andybarbet

posted on 8/4/12 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
I've never had trouble wearing glasses with my Arai lid, I wear specs due to pants eyesight & other than having to remove the specs before i remove the helmet, ive not had any bother or discomfort
Dave Ashurst

posted on 8/4/12 at 11:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael

I guess from the comment on sun visor that you can not wear sun glasses inside them?

You can wear sunglasses inside them (although my polaroids give psychedelic effects looking through the clear helmet visor).

Just that it's not easy to put them on or take them off whilst driving. My old helmet didn't have a sun visor, my current one does and I love it.

D

rusty nuts

posted on 9/4/12 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
Have you thought about wind deflectors on the screen pillars ? Made a huge difference when I did mine
Michael

posted on 9/4/12 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
I had thought ages about about the wind deflector but I think I will go with the helmet option.
mad-butcher

posted on 11/4/12 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
I had an issue with a bike one at a trackday untill I pointed out to him that it was ACU approved, which meant it had been approved by the governing body of bike racing, and there was more of a chance of it making contact with the tarmac riding a bike than driving a car, he conceded eventually
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Michael

posted on 15/4/12 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
I have been looking at a couple, but not yet been out to try them on.

If only being used in the car is a chin skirt necessary to stop the wind coming up into the helmet? I read a review on a accessory skirt, where a biker wrote that with out one was geeting a lot of air in and was straining his eyes.

Have seen a couple with drop down visors and in reasonable price.

Also if chin skirt is not a requirement then I had thought about a flip front one.

Thanks

metro6r4

posted on 15/4/12 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
my advice get the best you can afford
Not Anumber

posted on 24/5/12 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
Are goggles sufficient for road use ?
SeaBass

posted on 24/5/12 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
If you think you are fully prepared for a stone to the face.

quote:
Originally posted by Not Anumber
Are goggles sufficient for road use ?

amalyos

posted on 24/5/12 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
There ok, as long as you don't get a stone or Bee hit your head at 70mph!!!

If you don't have a screen, i'd wear a helmet all the time.

http://stevembuild.blogspot.com

Not Anumber

posted on 24/5/12 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by amalyos

Isnt it more likley to be empty cans of Special Brew in Rayleigh.

bigfoot4616

posted on 25/5/12 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by amalyos

something hit me on the cheek at about 80/90 last weekend, that hurt and left a big red mark.

i have a pair of bobster riding sunglasses for quick drives out, but always wear a helmet if i go for a proper drive.

Michael

posted on 27/5/12 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
I brought a Box BZ-1 Helmet.

Not used it int he car yet, but feels good when on.

Steve Hignett

posted on 27/5/12 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
I have a set of Wiley-X glasses/goggles for sale if anyone is interested?

They are brand new, with three colours of lenses; clear, green tint and dark/smoke tint.

They have the interchangeable foam surround that absorbs impacts of all kinds.
They don't come with the original box, but do come with the original bag and stickers still on the lenses...

Anyone interested, please send me a U2U and I'll take some pics or let you know any extra details etc.

ATB
Steve

iank

posted on 27/5/12 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mad-butcher
I had an issue with a bike one at a trackday untill I pointed out to him that it was ACU approved, which meant it had been approved by the governing body of bike racing, and there was more of a chance of it making contact with the tarmac riding a bike than driving a car, he conceded eventually

For "proper" racing (not trackdays which aren't supposed to be racing of any form) you will need a proper car helmet so the scrute was probably going from experience there.

The main difference between them is car helmets provide a degree of fire-protecton bike helmets don't. Car helmets are also designed and tested for one lots of medium sized bangs (as your head rattles off a roll cage) rather than one big one and a scrape.
Finally bike helmets give somewhat worse aero in a car (as the angle of the head is very different) and can tend to lift at speed.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

coozer

posted on 27/5/12 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
One of these? The hat I mean

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.