Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rear drum brakes
Thrashed

posted on 22/4/12 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
Rear drum brakes

Hi Guys

I am in the process of trying to get ready for my retest, but i have 1 issue i cant sort.

When i pull the handbrake the passanger side rear locks as you would expect and the driver side does nothing.

1 of my IVA fails was the front/rear bias and also that the passanger side is stronger than the driver!!

So i took the wheels and drums off and last weekend i find that on the passanger side the brake cylinder is to the front of the car and the drivers side the cylinder is at the rear of the car.

So looking at a few posted and the GBS "build manual" it shows that the cylinders should be at the rear of the car. Now, i know Shaft feels differently about this, so would be glad for you to jump in Nick.

So changed the passenger side around and this is now how it looks.

http://i852.photobucket.com/albums/ab89/smineham/Steve_Zero/Brakes/b33cc3e5.jpg

So, took the driver side apart again and this is how this looks:

http://i852.photobucket.com/albums/ab89/smineham/Steve_Zero/Brakes/806db265.jpg

When i press the foot brake the cylinders work fine and when i pull the handbrake it all seems to operate fine, but there is definitely something wrong.

Just a further thought. When you look at the drivers side, is is possible I have the shoes 180' out? Looking at the Haynes manual and turning the picture so the cylinder is in the same orientation, the passenger side looks fine, but if I do the same on the drivers side it shows that the auto adjuster needs to be the opposite way round?

Any ideas

Thanks

Steve

[Edited on 23/4/12 by Thrashed]

mad-butcher

posted on 22/4/12 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
can't see pictures
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
designer

posted on 22/4/12 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
It should be exactly as the Haynes manual.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Thrashed

posted on 23/4/12 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
picture links now working. i think the drivers side shoes are 180' out?

Thanks

adithorp

posted on 23/4/12 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
Shoes both sides look right to me. Leading edges are correct. Only thing is the spring opposite the cylinder on the Drivers side picture, is the wrong way around. The long leg should be on the other shoe so the spring falls between the shoes, not over one. The other side might be the same but can't see.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

rusty nuts

posted on 23/4/12 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
Try letting the handbrake cable off so you have slack and then manually operate the auto adjuster one click at a time , refitting the brake drum and check that it rotates freely between each adjustment, refit drums and then adjust the cable

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.