Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT: Engineers report for insurance?
MkIndy7

posted on 16/5/12 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
OT: Engineers report for insurance?

After yet more frustrating time on the phone, Through my brokers My insurance company are sticking to the fact that they need an "Engineers Report" aswell as an MOT dated after an Accident to return it to fully comp insurance...
Talk about changing the goalposts it just needed an MOT when we were dealing with weather to write it off completely or accept the CatD and repair it myself

After asking them who can provide such a report, what form it needs to take, information it needs to include they said "any garage that does MOT's should know what your on about"..
Suprise suprise i've just been upto where it was MOT'd and they have no idea.

Rang the brokers up again after walking a mile and back to the MOT station.. "ooh they should have known what one was"
"how about the garage that did the repairs"
"well I did them", oh wish i'd have just kept my mouth shut at this point and invented my own!

So does anybody know what the hell their on about cos they obviousley don't! and who is likely to be able to provide such a document?
Anybody on here with the relevent qualifications?

Slimy38

posted on 16/5/12 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
Erm, cat D repairs don't need a report? I thought cat C minimum warrants some sort of proof that it's roadworthy, cat D are expensive cosmetic repairs and don't need any proof of being roadworthy (above the standard MOT). Find out how they've classified it, if it's still a cat D then make sure they understand what that category actually means.

This is I think what they're on about for a certificate;

http://www.carsalvagefinder.co.uk/vehicle_VIC.php

Looks like you need a VOSA station rather than just an MOT station.

Here's a Wiki although it's probably as reliable as typical Wiki pages;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_Identity_Check

MkIndy7

posted on 16/5/12 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
It was Definately CatD

I think the problem arises from then wanting to cancel the policy as they'd paid out and it was only 1month into it, I objected saying that if they'd fixed it the policy wouldn't be canceled so why sould it be now.
If thats how they wanted to play it I said I'd replace parts off my own back having plenty of spares in the the shed untill it was under the write off value then they'd have to fix it and the policy would continue.

Which is where the conclusion was to write it off CatD me buy the scrap and they'd insure it 3rd party to be upgraded to fully comp when I got an MoT certificate dated after the accident, which is where there now moving the goalposts sticking out for this engineers report.

ashg

posted on 16/5/12 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
what insurer is it?

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

MkIndy7

posted on 16/5/12 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
Equity Red Star, through Adrian Flux, but at the moment i'm dealing Flux as their easier to get hold of and usually very helpful compared to equity and a cheaper phonecall!
Slimy38

posted on 16/5/12 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
My wife's mini was wrote off (cat D) and we bought it back to put back on the road, there were no such issues there. It stayed insured throughout.
macc man

posted on 16/5/12 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Its going back a few years but I once had a report done on a rebuilt Orion Ghia. I got the RAC out and he gave me a certificate to show the insurance company.Its worth asking if they still offer this service.
Chippy

posted on 16/5/12 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MkIndy7
Equity Red Star, through Adrian Flux, but at the moment i'm dealing Flux as their easier to get hold of and usually very helpful compared to equity and a cheaper phonecall!

Ah! the dreaded Flux, I wouldnt trust them as far as I could throw them, one arm tied behind my back. Had my belly full of there shite when I had my SVA. Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

HowardB

posted on 17/5/12 at 06:52 AM Reply With Quote
Equity Red Star and Adrian Flux were my ins/broker at the time of my accident, they had no issues paying out, getting it sorted and back on the road. I guess they have good and bad days.

Not tried anyone else, so have no comparisons really.

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.