Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Duratec Cooling
ChrisJ15

posted on 20/5/12 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
Duratec Cooling

Ive been hunting around on the web to look for the correct for my (ST15) Duratec.
Ive seen some suggestions but I cant see anything including the oil cooler (heat exchanger) that the ST150 has.
I'd like to keep this but cant see where I should connect it in the cooling circuit.
Has anyone used a Duratec and kept the oil cooler connected?

big-vee-twin

posted on 20/5/12 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
If you are putting the engine into a Seven it will hang too low, you need to get a new housing and turn it through 90 degrees.

However, here's a picture of mine before I stripped it down, it connects to the thermostat housing by a tee piece, the other end feeds the heater circuit.

The other side of the tee connects to the header tank.

[img] Engine
Engine
[/img]

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

MkIndy7

posted on 20/5/12 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big-vee-twin
If you are putting the engine into a Seven it will hang too low, you need to get a new housing and turn it through 90 degrees.

However, here's a picture of mine before I stripped it down, it connects to the thermostat housing by a tee piece, the other end feeds the heater circuit.

The other side of the tee connects to the header tank.

Ours fitted in an MK in the original position, kept the oil cooler and just fitted a smaller oil filter Renault 5? Quite popular and often mentioned on here.
clearance was tight to a chassis rail underneath but you can easily unbolt the whole oil filter block off the engine and change it that way.. A small inconvienince once a year compared to shelling out for the filter relocation kits.

Can't remember the plumbing exactly but it's treated like a Heater matrix and kept the bypass side Of the thermostat i.e constantly circulating.

[Edited on 20/5/12 by MkIndy7]

big-vee-twin

posted on 20/5/12 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
Think I'd rather spend the £100 rather than have a reduced capacity filter.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

ChrisJ15

posted on 20/5/12 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
The filter isnt the problem.

Its a rear engined car and the filter isnt the lowest part of the engine so Ill be staying with a standard filter.

Just not sure about the plumbing!

big-vee-twin

posted on 20/5/12 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Did say if you are installing into a Seven, you are obviously not, however my first post and pic answer your original query. The oil cooler was only installed to warm the car up quicker and reduce emissions

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.