Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MS Word header and footer help?
nick205

posted on 9/7/12 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
MS Word header and footer help?

One for the Wordies amongst you...

Setting up a document template and need a header and footer on the first page with the footer repeated on all subsequent pages, but no header. I've tried every which way with "different first page" etc, but can't seem to get what I need.

MS Word 2010 BTW.

Any input appreciated before I start swearing at an inanimate object

jabs

posted on 9/7/12 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Different first page works for me

the second page header just leave blank, think if you have a footer you have to have a header

[Edited on 9/7/12 by jabs]

RIE

posted on 9/7/12 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
'Different first page' also works for me. What happens when you try it? Which headers/footers are repeated or not repeated?

You can also use section breaks and apply different headers and footers in the different sections, again giving each section a different first page header/footer if you wished.

nick205

posted on 9/7/12 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
To clarify a little, the template is a for a business quotes which are typically a single page with header and footer. In the event that the quote runs to two pages or more I want the header omitted from the second and subsequent pages, but the footer repeated on all pages. Using "Different first page" allows the single page scenario, but means you have to manually add the footer to subsequent pages.

I think the solution is to create a two page template and then delete the second page when it's not required in the quote.

....unless you can think of another way...?

rachaeljf

posted on 9/7/12 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
If you only use one or two pages, just don't use the header; put your letterhead/logo in the body of the document. Your footer can repeat as necessary.
BenTyreman

posted on 9/7/12 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
Why put the header in the header box if it's only on the first page? Either put it in the main body as the first thing or create a frame and put it inside that.

nick205

posted on 9/7/12 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rachaeljf
If you only use one or two pages, just don't use the header; put your letterhead/logo in the body of the document. Your footer can repeat as necessary.

Gone for this approach, which works OK.

Part of the issue is making it foolproof for others to use to generate consistent documents.

Cheers for all input.

rachaeljf

posted on 9/7/12 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
I often use tables to give structure to documents that others will use. Just set up a table with hidden borders and anyone can bang away with text in it and it sort of looks after itself.

I am forever getting Word documents from other engineers using tabs and spaces to align text, and empty carriage returns to push text onto the next page. ARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!

luke

posted on 10/7/12 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
1. Create your header and footers on page 1
2. Go to page two, and go to edit the header.
3. on the header and footer toolbar at the top, there is a navigation section and in there there is "link to previous". deselect that and it will allow you to delete everything on page two whilst maintaining page 1.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.