Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Recommend me some home security products?
StevieB

posted on 23/7/12 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
Recommend me some home security products?

Having booked a holiday that we depart for in 2 weeks (actually, just less than) I suddenly thought I should actually install some home security that I've been thinking about for the 7 years or so we've lived here.

The estate I live is fairly secluded and we're at the end of a quiet cul-de-sac where the neighbours are pretty good at looking out for each other.

But I do want to secure my little castle though and am looking for some recommendations

I was thinking:

Wireless alarm system (I know hard wired is better but I don't really have the time to fit something properly in the next 2 weeks (unless someone can tell me it's dead easy?). I want 3 PIR's downstairs, one upstairs on the landing (we have a small roof in front of our youngest boy's bedroom window so need to cover the upper floors) and sensors on all ground floor doors and windows. Something that can do zoning would be good so I could, say, set it to cover the ground floor windows/doors and garage when we're in bed at night. Also needs to pet friendly as we have a aging cat with a heart murmur - don't want to tip him over the edge when he sets the alarm off

Additional window locks for all windows and french doors

I have a built in garage, but with no door between house/garage. Was thinking about fitting another PIR and door sensor, but a little worried it'll constantly be getting set off so might need a secondary system for the garage. Also need something to add a bit extra security to the garage door - I don't want to put one of those high security blockers on it because I think they send out the message that there's something worth nicking.

My biggest worry is making the place a bit too obviously like Fort Knox - I know some wireless sensors can be a bit hefty and coupled with extra window locks it might start to get a bit unsightly!

Any pointers to decent system would be much appreciated!

maskell01

posted on 23/7/12 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
A pissed off farmer with a shotgun???

jossey

posted on 23/7/12 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
a basic wireless system from yale or somthing simular will do the job. Get the alarm box put up at the back of the house so your neighbours can still hear and get a ADT blank box on the front of the house. You only need 2 PIR's one at the front door and one at the rear. (if you have patio doors get a 3rd) Then your done. Wireless are good.

If you have upvc doors get the window and door sash jammers just leaving 1 door locked from the outside.

That should be sufficient.

test the system before you go away and make sure your "nice" neighbours know you have a new alarm and to call "5 0" if it goes off.

As far as the garage is concerned I have a side door with dead lock and yale lock and normal door lock and then i go inside the garage and i have Drop bolts in both sides which stop the front from openning and I put a big bar through the handles for extra security.

Then I take the wheels of the kit car. and hide the bolts lol

If they get past all that and the tintop pulled up to the garage then they can have the car. I would be more worried about the Tool box being nicked as it has all my fav tools lol

DJ

[Edited on 23/7/12 by jossey]

[Edited on 24/7/12 by jossey]

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Fred W B

posted on 23/7/12 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

Agriv8

posted on 23/7/12 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
as someone who got done over recently.

eurolocks antisnap cisa and handles secure by design. add French windows sach jamers

Alarm wireless is ok running a basic system and all is good

ultimate deterrent cctv watching garage cars drive.

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

YQUSTA

posted on 23/7/12 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
I installed an infinite prime for my wifes grandparents after they were nearly conned by a cold call.

As for batteries, I have changed them twice in 6 years and it hasn't gone wrong once.

it can do everything including ringing phones and more, you will need to buy the module to do this.

Its made by ESP

Edit - to save on battery power turn the leds off

[Edited on 23/7/12 by YQUSTA]

"If in doubt flat out"

Colin McRae

loggyboy

posted on 23/7/12 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
CCTV is a reasonable deterent, ive had mine installed for about a year and its been handy, but didnt stop some pisshead kicking the wifes car the other week, sadly due to lack of clarrity theres no way to identify the bastad, but fortunately it was only the mirror he kicked and being pissed he didnt do much damage.

The one i have is similar to this, allows internet access and mobile phone access, so good for peace of mind.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/1tb-8-channel-h.264-network-dvr-with-4x-ccd-cameras-and-smart-phone-access-593863

At the end of the day, a good alarm and top notch locks are the best option, just quite expensive.

Mistral Motorsport

Agriv8

posted on 23/7/12 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
PS batteries last 6 months in our system ( more if I swiched LEDs OFF )

cant remember make I am afraid

Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Irony

posted on 23/7/12 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
Since a fox took my chickens and I had my car broken into I have been mildly interested in beefing up home security as well. When my car was broken the police lady came round, looked at my car, shrugged and moaned about cuts. She said and I quote 'I advise people to take home security into their own hands'. Can't believe a police officer would say that. Surely that gives me the go ahead for all sorts of mantraps. 'PC culbert told me to put a bear trap on the lawn Mr Judge'.

I have been utterly impressed with this piece of software

Sod off Burglers

It turns your laptop and webcam into a movement orientated security system. You can add multiple cameras, pressure plates and microphones. You can set the sensitivity of the software to only record a certain amount of movements. If you pay the monthly subscription it will automatically upload the video to youtube or stream it live to your phone.

I have only caught moths so far though.

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 23/7/12 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
its a shame that most people don't realise how ludicrouslyl easy it is to bypass pin cylinder locks.

wise up people don't rely on regular pin cylinder locks.

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

coyoteboy

posted on 23/7/12 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
IMO you're only ever going to deter opportunist theives. If they're determined you won't do a thing and CCTV is no more a deterrent than a cat in the window. This is confirmed by a couple of insurance companies I called who said it made no odds as there's no proof burglars give a damn. A dog is the one thing most crims suggest puts them off, more than any of the above.

Just make sure you're insured, take reasonable precautions and accept that you may have to eventually track someone down and kill them to satisfy your rage.

mad4x4

posted on 23/7/12 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
WE went to ADT last month and got a monitored alarm (police) with 3 door (vib) sensors and 3 room sensors for £500 installed

Maintainance is £22 a month..... If you PM me I will recommend you to ADT and i'll get £50 quid of m&s vouchers.

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

craig1410

posted on 23/7/12 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
First thing is to make sure you don't publicise the fact you are on holiday... (ah, too late, moving right along...)

On a more serious note, if you have any euro locks then consider upgrading them to something like this:

http://www.saundersonsecurity.co.uk/acatalog/Evva_3KS_Plus.html

I installed these on my house a couple of years ago after becoming aware of lock bumping and how the technique can be used to open more traditional locks almost silently and in just 10 seconds or so. The above lock is bump proof and very hard to pick. In practice the only way to defeat them is to drill them out and that is far from silent.

Given that you have only a couple of weeks until your holiday, I'd be tempted to get a good quality wired alarm system and for now just run the cables internally through the halls etc. You can tidy up the wiring at a later date. I've tried various wireless systems over the years but my current wired system has been much more reliable in terms of false alarms and I would never go back to a wireless system now. I've got an autodialer on my system as well and I have door switches on all doors and PIR's covering all the main room volumes. I've also got a sensor in the garage. The control panel I got was a Texecom system which is a system used by professional installers. In fact I got it from an alarm wholesaler who doesn't normally sell to the public. I just breezed in like I knew what I was after (I was) and collected all the bits I needed and went to the counter. I had paid for it by the time the owner realised I wasn't a trade customer. Too late by then... The system wasn't expensive either and being wired, sensors are dirt cheap and maintenance free.

Good luck,
Craig.

YQUSTA

posted on 24/7/12 at 06:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mad4x4
WE went to ADT last month and got a monitored alarm (police)

I can tell you for fact that the police do NOT monitor alarms, ADT will, or they will pay someone to, they then ring the police, you would get the same response if your neighbour rang the police.

"If in doubt flat out"

Colin McRae

Jon Ison

posted on 24/7/12 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
Only skim read it, see CCTV mentioned a few times, pretty cheap to install get cameras that have a light on them that shows there operational, we have a cheap GET system four B&W cameras with a box that switches from one to another, lights coming on and off cameras seems pretty impressive.

Not seen mentioned yet get a few timers and plug lamps into them, make them switch on/off regularly rather than permanently on.

The Shootist

posted on 24/7/12 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
Be at home...

The best way to keep your home safe is to appear to be at home.

Timers on lights. switch one or two on, and another off as the evening and nights go by.

Leave a TV on, or better yet timers set to turn a radio, and light on in the workshop, then later have a TV on in the house.

Motion sensors on outside lights....thieves scurry like roaches when the lights suddenly come on.

The thieves may know you are gone, but walking into an unoccupied home with lights on, and TV going will be too un-nerving for all but the very worst of bad guys.

Alarms and cameras are great too, but appearing to be home can be quite a deterrent.

loggyboy

posted on 25/7/12 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
For those interested I have set up a guest account for my CCTV DVR:

Click here
Username: guest
Password : password
(and type in the code that appears too)

Mistral Motorsport

Agriv8

posted on 25/7/12 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
word of warning on

Motion sensors on outside lights....thieves scurry like roaches when the lights suddenly come on.

Make sure these are out of reach and 'Locked off' the bu66ers pointed mine at next door while they were snapping my eurolock on my back door !!

I thought mine where but it apears the moved the PIR with next doors Broom !!

ATB agriv8

PS Euro loks are CISA astrial S and
Handles Hoppe "PAS24 Secured By Design"
Plus wirless alarm £100
sleep better in my bed know !!

StevieB

posted on 26/7/12 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
Time to step it up a bit!

I've been out and bought a wireless alarm plus a cheap shed alarm - nothing fancy just something to make a lot of noise if someone was to open my garage door. Then I can accidentally drop a breeze block or two out of the bedroom window directly above the garage

The reason? Every summer we can a little influx of travellers who take up residence on some common land at the back of the estate I live on. Generally I have to say that, apart from leaving a mess behind and the general security concerns you get from having them just round the corner, they haven't caused any bother in the 7 years or so we've lived here.

However, this time they've been here a matter of days and several garages have been attacked, skips emptied and some general mess and chaos around our usually quiet and family friendly corner of the world (for anyone who knows York well, I'm talking about the common land that backs on to the cricket ground).

They're usually gone within 3 weeks as that's roughly how long it takes for York City Council to get the court order in place and give them their marching orders. What really annoys me is why the council can't a) put a permenant covenant in place so they don't have to get extra court orders to get them shifted and b) erect some form of barrier that would mean they'd have to break it to get in - then it'd be automatic eviction for aggrivated trespass.

One of my roles in the army was to specify protective security measures - maybe I need to start employing some of the more medieval methods used in the more contentious corners of the globe

PS - thanks for the product recommendations - I've gone for a basic wireless alarm system to get it up and running ASAP which I then want to upgrade to a hard wired system with some extra's at a later date. CCTV might also be on the cards as well as some smartwater kits for the house and car.

nick205

posted on 26/7/12 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
IMO you're only ever going to deter opportunist theives. If they're determined you won't do a thing and CCTV is no more a deterrent than a cat in the window. This is confirmed by a couple of insurance companies I called who said it made no odds as there's no proof burglars give a damn. A dog is the one thing most crims suggest puts them off, more than any of the above.

Just make sure you're insured, take reasonable precautions and accept that you may have to eventually track someone down and kill them to satisfy your rage.

BANG ON! Assuming your not leaving yourself wide open to being robbed and you're adequately insured I really can't see the point in going over board.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.