Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Which fuel pump to use.
maccavvy

posted on 10/8/12 at 07:14 AM Reply With Quote
Which fuel pump to use.

Have a oe pinto engine running a 32/36 weber at the mo, this is soon to swapped for a 2.1,gas flowed big valve head and fr32 cam with bike carbs. will the original mechanical pump run this ,or am i better off with an electric pump.
I know i need a pressure regulator ..do i need a return to the fuel tank as well.

any info appreciated.

Garyd

posted on 10/8/12 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,
Buy a motorbike fuel pump fit and forget.
No need for a regulator then or a return.

FuryRebuild

posted on 10/8/12 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

I went through this on my pinto (2.1L, Dave Walker head, REC Race Valves, 44.5mm inlet, 38mm exhaust, Piper A8 cam) which was fitted with a pair of 45mm twin-choke dellorto carbs.

You definitely need an electric fuel pump (the mechanical one won't be rated to the amount of fuel you can drink at full chat) and you need a pressure regulator (electric one may over-fuel your carbs). They're not expensive.

You don't need a return run - the all the fuel the pump delivers is consumed at the carbs, and the regulator means the pump doesn't supply too much fuel to carbs that has no-where to go.

I hope this helps.

If you haven't started building yet, my pinto setup is coming up for sale - the head alone would cost over £600 now, the carbs regularly go for more than £300 on ebay, and the whole lot has been set up and maintained by Bogg Brothers ("it's a right powerful lump is that". Getting the engine as a set with the carbs alone would save you £100 on the rollers - it's specifically jetted for this engine. If you're interested, it comes as a full engine including:

• starter motor
  • alternator
  • modified alternator brackets - lowered to sit neatly under the exhaust and closer to the engine block
  • modified burton rocker cover (removed oil-feed cap housing to reduce height, and opened out breather oil-ways to get engine breathing correctly - pintos chuck a lot of oil around)
  • high performance breather valve
  • alloy rs2000 sump (a rare item)
  • steel bellhousing and clutch fork (less wide than the alloy one)
  • engine mounts
  • if you went for the carbs, you could have the inlet manifold
  • fury pinto exhaust (blows a tiny bit only when cold)
  • a simple thing, but the cam belt anti-jump-off plate - this means you should never lose your cam belt - with this spec that would be a proper mess
  • electronic ignition distributor
  • blanked off and removed fuel pump (no mechanical pump supplied). I *may* be persuaded to include the fuel pressure regulator and pacet electronic pump
  • some steel-braided hose for oil lines, etc
  • the engine has only ever run on valvoline racing oil, and has 4.5L of it sat in the sump, with less than 200m on the oil

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

mcerd1

posted on 10/8/12 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
most bike carb's don't like running with high pressure fuel being forced into them...
a pump from a bike running carbs are the simplest / cheapest way to sort this as they regulate the fuel pressure themselves
any carb's bike with similar power should have a pump you could use - but it can't be from a fuel injected bike as they run at much higher pressure.

I got a ZX9R one for mine, some of these are quite neat external pumps on a little mounting bracket with a fuel filter and shouldn't cost more than £30 - £40 from a breaker / ebay / etc...
(my one is like this one: eBay Item only I didn't pay that much for it)

[Edited on 10/8/2012 by mcerd1]

-

dray13dad

posted on 10/8/12 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
+1
FASTdan

posted on 10/8/12 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, as has been said the bike pump is the cheapest, easiest and most reliable. We have a stock and can supply you a pump if needed. :-)

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
deltron63

posted on 10/8/12 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garyd
Hi,
Buy a motorbike fuel pump fit and forget.
No need for a regulator then or a return.

+1

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.