Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Best car under 2k to break
thesecondprize

posted on 14/8/12 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
Best car under 2k to break

I've just stripped a 1993 Nissan 200SX for the engine, gearbox and wiring loom and I've pretty much made my money back already (£750) by selling various body panels and other parts to the "drift" boys. By the time I'm done I reckon I should be in profit!

This got me round to thinking - which cars make the best breakers?

A mate of a mate used to buy MOT'd Corrado's and Golf VR6 for about a grand and said he doubled his money by selling them in parts. So, which models do you think currently provide the best returns? I'm not talking about megabucks late-model stuff: More the sort of thing you can pick up between £500 and £2000!

sdh2903

posted on 14/8/12 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
My donor was a 318is coupe for which I paid 350. In the end I only ended up using diff, driveshafts, front brakes, front uprights and steering column. I sold everything else for £900! Including sending the engine to Portugal. All the small stuff such as central locking motors etc sold really well. Another member on here did the same with an M3.

Pete - Kit Car Zone

posted on 14/8/12 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
A mate of mine has stripped a few Golfs down. He loves the Mrk 2, so usually buys one for around £500, uses it as a run around. Then when it gets past the point of practical repair buys another one for £500, transfers any upgraded components (breaks, engine parts etc) from the old one to the new one. Then uses the old one for spares while gradually breaking it down and selling on the remaining good parts. Finally, he scraps the chassis and bits he couldn't sell.

He must be on his third one by now. It's a pretty good way to recycle, gives him some cash to spend on upgrades and enables someone else to buy replacement parts for their Golf that are in good condition without it costing them a fortune.

I'd look at anything that holds its value (VWs are a good shout), is a few years old (so there are plenty on the road with high mileage) and is likely to be owned by someone that isnt scared to do a bit of work their self. Perhaps a Golf, Leon Cupra etc

On a side note, went to watch a drift day a few months back... I bet they're crying out for replacement parts! Never seen so many break downs on one day. Turn up with an old supra on a trailer and you'd have sold half of it by lunch

Kit Car Zone

ashg

posted on 14/8/12 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
mx5 got one for £700 used all the running gear on the exocet and still made 2k back selling off bits

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Davegtst

posted on 14/8/12 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Not under 2k but I broke my skyline that I couldn't sell for 5 grand. I made over 7k in the end and it only took about a day to completely strip it to a bare shell.
perksy

posted on 14/8/12 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
Bought an XE engine once from a lad who broke various Vauxhalls
He'd buy them off the bay of E, trailer them home and then break them, selling all the bits
Calibras, Astra's etc (Leather interiors were particularly sort after)

I said to him "is there any money in this then ?"

He said " you see the Evo 6 on the driveway ?, it runs that and there's some left over.."

So i reckon if you have the space and the time, there's money to be made...

britishtrident

posted on 15/8/12 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
Rover 75 or MG ZT some body & trim spares are starting to dry up, look for one with a leather interior. central locking and ABS faults are also starting to appear, the fuel pumps are also easy to sell as are the lower engine mounts.

A good runner with long MOT can be found for £500 at auction.

Much the same applies to S type Jags

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

VinceGledhill

posted on 30/8/12 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
Any more for any more?

I'm between jobs at the moment and have a double garage and all the tools. Including pit, engine hoist and air tools.

Regards
Vince Gledhill
Time Served Auto Electrician
Lucas Leeds 1979-1983

maccmike

posted on 30/8/12 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
Rovers/Nissans/Sangyong

oops I miss read the question, thought it meant which cars under to grand to break/smash/destroy.

b14wrc

posted on 30/8/12 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
Fiat Coupe 20VT, paid £250 (it was still MOT’d) and didn’t sell that much of it. Made the £250 back and made around £300 profit. I scrapped the shell and saved absolutely loads of bits for the locost.

Not a great profit, but means I got a hell of a lot of bits for no cash.

20vt powered rear engined locost

Proby

posted on 30/8/12 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
Classic impreza turbos do well, my mate does a complete car in 2.5 days, makes a decent living out of it!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.