Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: GoPro HD Hero 2 Best smooth recording format?
The Venom Project

posted on 24/8/12 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
GoPro HD Hero 2 Best smooth recording format?

So after the issue with F**k Face on eBay, I started watching GoPro footage and was hooked on getting one, it arrived two weeks ago and I have had a bit of a play but found that 1080p/30FPS was a bit crap really and bitty, but 720/60 FPS whilst almost Fisheye playback was a hell of a lot better HD wise.

So my question is, who is using what resolution to capture the best quality in/out car footage?

Cheers

Nick

It's not that i'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.....

gingerprince

posted on 24/8/12 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
I use a ContourGPS, not GoPro, but 60fps/720p is miles better than 30fps/1080p. For fast action, frame rate over resolution every time, and 720 lines is ample.
The Venom Project

posted on 24/8/12 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers,

Yeah my old Kodak 720 HD camera seemed fine, just didn't have an option for an external Mic. Does the Contour have that option?

Cheers

Nick

gingerprince

posted on 24/8/12 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
No external mic on the ControurGPS The Contour+ does, though.

That said, I can see my soldering iron making an appearance in the not too distant future: -

http://kjh.ca/contour_mods/doku.php?id=external_audio:start

ashg

posted on 24/8/12 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
have you tried a good make class 10 memory card in it? 99% of jumpiness issues are caused buy rubbis memory cards that cant be written to quickly enough

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

The Venom Project

posted on 24/8/12 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
Hiya,

Just bought a new Verbatim class 10 card yesterday, so I will be playing tomorrow and hopefully find a good setup

Cheers

franky

posted on 24/8/12 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
Run it at the lowest frame rate, 24 will be more than fine for what gopro call's 'HD'

Also why use 1080P? It doesn't record a true progressive pic, just stick with 1080i.

[Edited on 24/8/12 by franky]

dlatch

posted on 24/8/12 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
really not a fan of the fish eye effect you get when using the 720 hd 60fps mode so on my drift HD i use the 1080p and it gives great smooth footage.

you really need a decent video editing program to make the best use of the footage though imo i use sony vegas platinum which was on special offer on amazon a while back for £19
plus i go the drift HD cheap as they bought the new smaller model out.
External mic's are a must have for me as i use it on my bike.

http://youtu.be/eCRk9W6jdlc?hd=1

edit to add what class memory card you using?

[Edited on 24/8/12 by dlatch]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gingerprince

posted on 24/8/12 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by franky
Run it at the lowest frame rate, 24 will be more than fine for what gopro call's 'HD'

Also why use 1080P? It doesn't record a true progressive pic, just stick with 1080i.

Disagree re the frame rate. these cameras have cmos sensors, so the slower the frame rate, the greater the rolling shutter effect, which is bad.

franky

posted on 24/8/12 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerprince
quote:
Originally posted by franky

Disagree re the frame rate. these cameras have cmos sensors, so the slower the frame rate, the greater the rolling shutter effect, which is bad.

At 24fps it should be perfect, no shutter effect at all. I'd be wary of overloading the system and it trying to write too much data.

MikeFellows

posted on 24/8/12 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
interested to know

is the footage stuttering with playback on the camera or on pc/blue ray player?

The Venom Project

posted on 26/8/12 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
I have found editing with certain programs through certain machines makes playback strange. I would expect my Mac to use the GoPro program correctly and edit it, but it made the whole thing very difficult to use, when edited on my PC it was much easier with the GoPro software :-)

However using iMovie on my Mac made all the difference, im sure other PC related software will too. I am happy with the results, currently uploading to Facebook. I need an external Mic due to engine noise over exhaust noise, but happy with the Roll Bar mounting position and very little shake.

Recorded as 720 x 60FPS which seems fine.

Been playing around with overlaying a soundtrack along with engine noise, as I know I like to hear the exhaust instead of music, but with the interference of engine noise over exhaust, I though ACDC went very well with the clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWsm0251X24

Cheers for the advice.

Nick

[Edited on 26/8/12 by The Venom Project]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.