Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hayabusa Rev Limit error
JimSpencer

posted on 17/9/12 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
Hayabusa Rev Limit error

Hi All

Appealing to the collective knowledge to get a friend out of the mire..

He's got a Hayabusa in the back of a Davrian - and a very interesting tool it is too.

But it won't rev past 8k.

Now this isn' the "coughing and spluttering" sort of won't rev it's the:-
"runs beatifully until it hits what feels just like a smooth cut" at 8k
does this in every gear.

So my thoughts are it's got to be a design feature buried in the ECU that's not seeing something it should so is rev limiting itself, have heard about a rev limiter while it's in neutral? but can't seem to find any more detail on that..
So am wondering if that might mean there's a gear indicator fault somewhere etc etc.
But that could be totally wide of the mark,. not got much of a clue really!

He has tried another ECU, exactly the same issue.

So I think it must be the ECU is missing an input from something, or is getting an input it shouldn't of course..

Anybody got any ideas, or preferably had this and fixed it

Thanks all

MikeRJ

posted on 17/9/12 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
Is the engine standard, or does it have aftermarket cams etc?
Jon Ison

posted on 17/9/12 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
is the rev counter reading correctly ?
JimSpencer

posted on 17/9/12 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Yes, totally stock, except the wiring and dash.

Yes re-counter reading fine.

BobM

posted on 17/9/12 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
The ECU will run different maps for neutral/different gears but none of those maps will cut it at 8k. Nor will any of the interlocks (sidestand, kill switch, tipover switch etc.) - they either stop it turning over to start with or cut the fuel injection completely.

How confident is your friend that he has his dash calibrated correctly and that the 8k is really 8k?

Not very Locost but very BEC

twybrow

posted on 17/9/12 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
Could it be in a limp home mode? Ie a wiring fault, or other engine related fault is causing the ECU (new or old) to go straight into a limp home mode, and hence limit the available revs? Have you checked for any fault codes?
MikeCapon

posted on 17/9/12 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
If the clutch switch is permanently shorted the secondary injectors won't work and it will run like the proverbial sack. You can watch the injectors with the airbox off and it is obvious if they are working or not.

www.shock-factory.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JimSpencer

posted on 17/9/12 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Bob

Yup the rev counter match's the engine speed 8k is 8k etc

Hi Mike

It runs and pulls fine, seem to have plenty of torque just gets to 8k, and stops going any higher.

Hi Twybrow

Ahh - would it have full performance in Limp home mode? i.e go like a train at the bottom end? if so perhaps we're onto something?

twybrow

posted on 17/9/12 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
It could well do - when my last engine went into limp home mode, it too topped out at 8k revs. The difference was, the cause of my limp home mode was also meaning rough running - your sounds like it appears to run fine. Is there anything that the ECU is looking for a signal from, that it cant find as it has been removed? Eg - cold start/idle valve, secondary injectors, road speed sensor etc...?

Do you have access to a fault code reader? If not, can you get the car to someone who does, or borrow one?

Jon Ison

posted on 17/9/12 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
I think my next post of call would be pick the phone up, mal. Yorkshire engines, Damien day tuner.....
MikeCapon

posted on 17/9/12 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
The secondary injectors are primarily for high rpm operation.

There is no 'limp home' function on the Hayabusa apart from some safe maps that will allow way over 8K rpm

The fault codes are dispalyed on the standard Hayabusa dash.

Permanently shorting the clutch switch will disable the secondary injectors without any fault code showing. You need either a relay or a second switch to start the motor to avoid this happening.

www.shock-factory.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
twybrow

posted on 17/9/12 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
Cam timing? - seems that Busa can suffer chain stretch, and a little bit of stretch is enough to thorw the cam position sensor off...
BobM

posted on 17/9/12 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
Cam timing? - seems that Busa can suffer chain stretch, and a little bit of stretch is enough to thorw the cam position sensor off...
Not a problem I've heard of before and IIRC the cam position sensor doesn't do a lot once the engine's running.

Which year Busa is it?

Not very Locost but very BEC

MikeFellows

posted on 17/9/12 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
is it a pre or post 08

as the pre 08 didnt have secondary injectors

nick205

posted on 17/9/12 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
Does it stop flat on 8k like it's on a limiter? Just wondering about the basics like fuel/air restriction somewhere - I'm sure it's been checked mind, but it can sometimes be the things you rule out early on.

JimSpencer

posted on 17/9/12 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow

Hi

Followed that link and done some more digging - I think we have a likely candidate, symptoms sound exactly like this, works perfectly and seems to hit a none existant rev limit.

Will report back once we've given that one a go!

Thanks all for your help

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.