Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any diesel mechanics?
Nickp

posted on 8/10/12 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
Any diesel mechanics?

A mate just broke down on the motorway in his Mini Cooper D (I know, we all take the piss!!) It started smoking and the engine noise increased. He knows next to nowt about cars and called the AA. They found an oily mess around injectors 2 & 3 but the AA man told him to drive it home anyway. He just about got home and I went to take a quick look. When started it was chuffing from around inj 2 & 3 in a big way so they clearly weren't sealing. I took an allen key to the 2 retaining screws on each injector (which you would've thought the AA man would do??) and found them to be very loose. Once tightened it improved slightly but was still clearly chuffing. When he originally got the car it kept going into limp home mode and BMW replaced all sorts to try and fix it, including just the middle 2 injectors. I'm wondering if they were ever sealed / tightened properly, although that was over a year ago.
Anyone know how these injectors seal? Could running it on the motorway have damaged the injectors or heaven forbid the cylinder head??

BTW- I think it's a 1.6 Peugeot engine, but may be wrong?

adithorp

posted on 8/10/12 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
They seal on copper sealing washers in the bottom of the injector port. If they'd been loose for long there'd be large amounts of baked carbon around the injector.

If the injectors come out then the base of the port will need cleaning. This is normally done with a specific cutting tool but it can be done with a scraper (or screwdriver) if you're careful not to gauge the surface. Clean it out, fit new seal washers and refit the injectors.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

dray13dad

posted on 8/10/12 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
+1 but would also use new nuts to hold injectors down and take it that its the peugeot/citroen engine so would renew injector fuel return line as well(have as yet never got them to reseal properly.(normally blows pipe out after car has left workshop!!
Nickp

posted on 8/10/12 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, is it a dealer job for the seal washers then? How hard are the injectors to get out usually? I'm guessing these ones will be pretty loose.
GOJO

posted on 9/10/12 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
The copper washers can be bought online but easier to get from dealer, but you need a seat cutter to do the job
Nickp

posted on 9/10/12 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GOJO but you need a seat cutter to do the job

For cleaning up the head, injector or both?

rusty nuts

posted on 9/10/12 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
For cleaning up the injector seat in the head, be careful not to touch the injector tips when cleaning the carbon from them . Probably cheaper to buy the seat cleaner set than to get the job done by a main dealer. Fairly common problem with modern diesels
Nickp

posted on 14/10/12 at 05:56 AM Reply With Quote
My mate drove it to the Main Stealers on Friday and they've told him it's got a cracked inlet manifold?? And want £180 to strip it to prove, even though you can see soot and smoke chuffing out around injectors 2 & 3!! How on earth can an inlet (that's inlet!!) manifold be blowing 'fumes' out?? Wish I'd been there when they tried to tell him this!!
Peteff

posted on 14/10/12 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
It happened to a C2 of a friend while still in warranty and the garage told him the same manifold story but he told them he wanted the fire rings changing. They did the minimum possible and fixed one that was blowing and within a month two more had gone.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.