Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Kindle book prices
mookaloid

posted on 12/10/12 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
Kindle book prices

I should have known when I got a kindle - it is now more expensive to buy a kindle book than the equivalent paperback

They think once you get a kindle you will want to read all your books on it - they are correct!

Its profiteering - that's what it is

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

MikeRJ

posted on 12/10/12 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
Ebooks attract VAT and paper ones don't which explains a small part of the price disparity. However, with the zero material costs and vastly cheaper distribution costs I agree that ebooks are overpriced.

That explains why I have read books from a large number of new authors that self publish their books since I bought a Kindle, and the occasional discounted ebook from mainstream authors.

This website may be of interest to you. It tracks all the eBooks on Amazon that are free or discounted, and you can even sign up to be notified if a particular book you are after gets discounted.

[Edited on 12/10/12 by MikeRJ]

franky

posted on 12/10/12 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
Just the same with music, I never know why people buy off itunes when you don't actually own the music and it costs more than getting an album delivered????
UncleFista

posted on 12/10/12 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
You know you can obtain books elsewhere and email them to your Kindle free ?

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

Jon Ison

posted on 12/10/12 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Wattpad
morcus

posted on 12/10/12 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
I read an article on this before and as someone has already said, you have to pay tax on ebooks that you don't on actual books. Making a book too is also very cheap and I'm sure there are alot of costs involved in publishing a propper book as an ebook that we wouldn't think of.

I'd much rather have actual books, they have other uses beyond reading.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Furyous

posted on 13/10/12 at 03:24 AM Reply With Quote
There is a PC game download service called Steam. Most of the time their prices are a lot higher than you could buy the games on disc from other retailers, but they often have very good sales which makes it worthwhile. They might be selling a game 6 months after release for £30 when everyone else has dropped the DVD price to £15. Apparently the brick and mortar stores told game publishers that if they sell their games on Steam for less than they sell in stores, the stores won't carry them. Shops make up a much bigger portion of the market than Steam alone, so publishers gave in and kept their Steam prices the same.

In the early days the benefit of game downloads was touted as having less production and distribution costs but of course profits got in the way of that idea.

MikeRJ

posted on 15/10/12 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by UncleFista

As long as you don't mind reading something that has been badly OCR'd and it full of wrong words and dodgy formatting...

UncleFista

posted on 15/10/12 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
Originally posted by UncleFista

As long as you don't mind reading something that has been badly OCR'd and it full of wrong words and dodgy formatting...

I absolutely would mind this, luckily of the hundreds of books I've read on my kindle, I've seen nothing like you mention.

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

The Shootist

posted on 15/10/12 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
I getem for free....

I do hate not paying for them but as long as the publishers refuse to get the prices down withing reason i will keep at it.

Calibre is an excellent file converter for Kindle...very few screw-ups in my books, and it will make several different formats from most any format out there.

My wife sources most of our books from...www.warez-bb.com

Quality rips in most cases.

I know many will slam me, but frankly with my wife's heath issues, and our measly income, I would have to stop reading otherwise.

There really is NO EXCUSE for e-books to cost as much, if not more, than paper books.

Don't forget all of Google Books and the Guttenberg Project stuff is FREE and Calibre has no problem making clean conversions from those formats. Calibre has a few setting you can play with if you do get format issues in your books.

[Edited on 10/15/12 by The Shootist]

[Edited on 10/15/12 by The Shootist]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.