Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: RV8 LPG
coozer

posted on 26/12/12 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
RV8 LPG

I am looking at putting a lpg system on my 3.9 injected Rover V8.

Now, I don't know much about these as googling doesn't throw up much technical, or home built systems.

I've read the articles in PPC but they just bought a (expensive) system and installed it.

So, I'm after either a cheap second hand system, or a resource to build my own. WHY?

I do not want to compromise safety here just make my truck cheaper to get around in.

Ta,
Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

austin man

posted on 26/12/12 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Coozer, I believe that any instalation requires testing and certifying to satisfy the insurance companies, think this is probably why there is a lack of info on the subject and why they can warrant the prices

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

britishtrident

posted on 26/12/12 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
There is no legal problem or insurance with DIY conversions the only problem is that a the trade body for LPG conversion companies (a fair percentage of whom are real cowboys) has been trying to make it difficult for you to register the vehicle as Dual Fuel converted with DVLA however most kit suppliers now have arrangements to get your vehicle installation inspected after installation.

Some insurance companies are more friendly than others towards LPG conversion
However you really need to buy a proper conversion kit suited to your vehicle also some parts of parts of the system need renewed or overhauled ever few years, tanks in particular should be pressure tested and inspected every 10 years.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

black fingernail
Contributor

Posts 144
Registered 2/7/09
Location devon

Photo Archive Go!
Building: finished? scratch built book locost with 1700 puma

posted on 26/12/12 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
At my last job, we used to buy v8 lpg range rovers every year for launching and recovering boats. we got them off fleabay for less than 800 quid.
coozer

posted on 26/12/12 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks BT, whats the bit about registering with DVLA? Is that a legal requirement?

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

britishtrident

posted on 26/12/12 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Thanks BT, whats the bit about registering with DVLA? Is that a legal requirement?

The vehicle should be registered as Dual Fuel rather than after conversion otherwise it is incorrectly registered -- you do however get a whole £10 quid discount off the road tax !

With tin tops LV insurance are very LPG friendly but premium wise they are only really interested in very low risk drivers

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

mark chandler

posted on 26/12/12 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
If you get a second hand one include the cost of new hoses and a rebuild kit for injectors and vaporiser, LPG attacks all this lot so after a couple of years they will be perished.

RV8's are very good on LPG, with sequential injection I hardly knew any difference on power although the idle was smoother.

Regards Mark

Nb/ I installed my own kits, never had to provide any proof of install quality e.g. Certificates or otherwise and it did not put up the premium.

Well worth doing saved me literally thousands of pounds over ~ 300,000 miles

[Edited on 26/12/12 by mark chandler]

TPG

posted on 26/12/12 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look at BLOS carbs as well.

..Which was nice..

Oddified

posted on 27/12/12 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TPG
Have a look at BLOS carbs as well.

Agreed, if your going to fit a basic lpg system (cheap and simple) which would normaly use a mixer ring on the intake, then using a blos carb is the best thing you could ever do (better economy, running, emmisions and power). I have lpg and a blos carb on my rover 3.9, excellent.

Tinley Tech do diy kits or the parts to put your own system together. I got the blos carb off ebay.

Ian

inkafone

posted on 27/12/12 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
The ignition system needs to be in perfect nick with LPG as it burns hotter & slower than petrol. http://www.lpgforum.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=48 is handy.
mark chandler

posted on 27/12/12 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
First p38 range rover I fitted a Venturi single point system, resulted in power loss as restrictive and also suffered occasional backfire which blew up a couple of air boxes. This is common so you need to leave hoses loose and add a blowback valve.

It unfortunately killed this car as caught fire when a friend borrowed it following a backfire. The engine was in good condition with recent cam, followers and lapped valves.

I would always get sequential, better still one that mixes a little fuel.

zilspeed

posted on 27/12/12 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
Sequential injection works fantastically well these days.

As others have said, ignition must be tip top as the spark has a much harder time.

Also make sure the equation of fuel capacity / availability works for you too.

Oddified

posted on 27/12/12 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
The only down side to sequential is the extra expense which takes much longer to recoup the initial outlay with the cheaper fuel.

The old mixer rings do restrict power and can provoke a back fire if not set up correctly or there's an ignition fault. The blos carbs fix both of those problems.

Ian

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.