Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Blow torch recommendations
Browser

posted on 31/1/13 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Blow torch recommendations

I've just sold my Silverline (yes, I know, I should have known better!) blow torch on Ebay, together with a load of other stuff, and now want to buy a replacement. As is my wont these days I don't want to buy a crap one and don't mind spending some money to get a product which works first time when I need/want it to. I'm not in a trade I just want to have one if need one, for any plumbing work I may need to do, stubborn bolts on the car and possibly some silver-soldering/light brazing.

I've been looking at the Rothenberger Superfire 2 but lots of people complain that they are too easy to break if they are knocked/fall over. Does anyone have any recommendations or with the Rothenberger be OK?

Mark2

posted on 31/1/13 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
I can say that the rothenburger 2 is great, I use mine all the time, had no probs with build quality, the only thing I have done is change the nozzle and jet to get a more controllable flame so I'm not setting light to the kitchen units, never had any bits fall off either.....
Cheers Mark

https://www.facebook.com/WestfieldSportsCarClubWirralNorthWales?ref=hl

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
adam1985

posted on 31/1/13 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
I use blow torches daily and have only ever used rothenberger and these Turbo torch so cant comment on others.

I prefer the extreme turbo and will get another when mine gives up
Plus its a turbo!!

Locost_col

posted on 31/1/13 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
I have been using the superfire 2 for the last couple of years. Great torch. I've had two in 3 yrs but they have a hard life. All components sold separately as well so if you do break it, it's fixable..
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
HowardB

posted on 31/1/13 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
mine are bullfinch or primus and they run off larger propane bottles, great bits of kit

bullfinch

OR

this

hth

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

Staple balls

posted on 31/1/13 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
roth superfire 2 here too, massively overkill most of the time, but does everything and has never missed a beat.

[Edited on 31/1/13 by Staple balls]

MkIndy7

posted on 31/1/13 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for the Rothenbergs.. I think those that have broken them must have seen some serious abuse and been neglected which most would admit themselves.
Very controllable and reliable, often get cra*p down the nozzle when you use them upside down which is usually the most convenient way to point it to avoid burning other things, but a quick borrow of anther torch or dig out you old one and their soon clean again.

When their knocked over they just need the nozzle assembly grub screws tightening up again with a small Allen key (possibly imperial) I think not re-tightening and then knocking over again when there already loose probably finishes them off.

splitrivet

posted on 31/1/13 at 11:50 PM Reply With Quote
Ive had a turbotorch for over 35 years and its still going strong, it was the first with swirl technology which I believe the rothenberger now has. Back in the day when I was fridge engineering you had to carry oxy acet or oxy prope to braze whereas when the turbo came out you could braze with cupro up to 1 1/8 " pipe or 1 3/8 with the heat shield with a bit of handheld kit.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

JoelP

posted on 1/2/13 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
ditto to all the above, mine has bent the neck of the gas bottle from falling and still works fine. Can be stripped to pieces and cleaned/rebuilt. Easy to adjust flame one handed.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

renetom

posted on 1/2/13 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
Definitely Rothenberg
Have used one professionally for many years
and use the Mapp gas
Definitely recommend it

Peteff

posted on 1/2/13 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
I have an old Bullfinch and a Sievert which run from a Propane cylinder, can't complain about either of them.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

David Jenkins

posted on 2/2/13 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
I've used a couple of Bullfinch propane torches for 10 - 15 years - very solid and reliable, despite my ungentle handling.

When I used to make model steam locos I had to buy their biggest burner so that I could silver-solder the boiler. I ended up with the type they use to melt pitch on flat roofs, about 3" diameter - at 2 bar gas pressure it sounds like Concorde on re-heat. After using it for 15 minutes I found that I'd frozen my gas cylinder to the garage floor!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.