Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Big bike carb woes
Fishface

posted on 10/3/13 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
Big bike carb woes

Lomg story short im in a mess with getting my bike carbs sorted. I have second hand set of bogg bros manifold and zx9f (like zx9r) carbs which came from another member for a 1.8 zetec so should be good to go. My problems started with trying to synch them with a gunsons and i kind of messed up the balance. I brought a carbtune set and when trying to work out where to connect the hoses i thought i could use the take offs fitted to the manifold which had been blocked off with a tube and a bolt cable tied in the end. Anyway i manged to break one of the metal nipples which appear to of been self tapped into the manifold. For some reason i decided to sold the ends of all of them as i thought i could connect the hoses direct to the carbs but it turns out the zx9r tyoe dont have connected. So my questions are:

1. Should i just replace these nipples and where would i get some?

2. If i leave them blocked is there a risk some solder could be sucked into the engine and damage it?

3. How else can i balance these if i leave the ends soldered?

4. I think the mixture is wrong and ive read that it should be set to three turns out to start with. Are these the screws underneath shown on the pics?

5. What are the plastic cone things underneath? Am i able to connect the plastic adapters from the colour tune into these to balance them

Any help much appreciated

(Hopefully pis below but its my first go at trying to add pics)

deezee

posted on 10/3/13 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
I balance my carbs using an individual carb syncrometer like the one they have for sale from Burton Power. You can't use the plastic cones, as they are for draining the fuel from the float chambers. Yes the screws underneath set the idle adjustment. To tune your engine and its idle there are no universal settings. Plug a wideband lambda into the exhaust to tune the carbs, anything else is total guess work.

Nigel fury

posted on 10/3/13 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
Use the below, by far the best and easiest and comes with threaded spigots which can be blanked off with a little of the tube glued and pinch to seal.
Remember most bike crabs have just 3 balance adjuster screws so balance carbs1 & 2 then crabs 3 & 4 then the centre screw to balance the two pairs - wish I was told that the first time I balanced bike carbs.
http://www.carbtune.com/
Nigel

coozer

posted on 10/3/13 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
These are by far the best way..

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=74940

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.