Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Garage Flooring
Mr Tile

posted on 26/3/13 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
Garage Flooring

What is the best type of flooring for a garage? I want to change mine as it is always getting wrecked. I currently have a concrete floor in my garage but it chips very easily and sometimes can be hard to clean certain spills away from it. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Vindi_andy

posted on 26/3/13 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Costco are doing a heavy plastic covering 71/2 ft wide iirc by 15ft long whic I will be investing in when tango goes away for some work.

That will be going down over my concrete floor

Mr Tile

posted on 26/3/13 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Is it any good? I've looked into PVC tiles which look the business. A crowd called Flexi-Tile seem to do a good range for the garage and they look easy to install so I might give them a go. Am stuck between plastic and rubber as both seem durable enough to last a good while which is half the reason I want to change.

Nice motor by the way.

designer

posted on 26/3/13 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
You can put on a self-leveling compound.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 26/3/13 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
I've put a photo of my locost option in my photo archive.

Heavy duty vinyl flooring, this was (clearly) intended for a kids playroom?, one of a few suitable reel-ends found at the local carpet warehouse. Very cheap, durable and routinely replaceable. It will withstand an engine hoist wheeled across it, is only mildly charred by welding spatters. Replaced every summer.

The garage floor isn't crumbling (much), but it's badly cracked, greasy, damp, vegetated and not very pleasant. Previous owners kept dogs in there, the urine from which didn't help much I think.

Vindi_andy

posted on 26/3/13 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
It's designed for garages and Costco stuff that I've had in the past has always been good quality and it looks good.
Tatey

posted on 26/3/13 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
I looked into a lot of different flooring types for my garage, the floor has lifted and cracked so it was very uneven so an epoxy paint wasnt going to work, I also wanted a softer floor so it would be nicer to kneel on/warming and more sound insulating, so went for the following:

http://www.ecotileflooring.com/store/interlocking-floor-tiles/sports-flooring-dark-grey

If you give them a ring and ask them if they have any seconds, I did it and ended up getting 21 square metres for about £150, I picked them up from the factory and they were very friendly and the ones I got were only seconds because they were trying out a slightly different shade of grey. I went for the raised discs very and I would highly recommend them.

ashg

posted on 27/3/13 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
like the look of that eco tiling stuff but the cheapest one they have that is end of line in a horrible colour is 17.50 + the vat. my garage is 38m square so that will cost me over £700 for a horrible colour. if i were to pick a nice colour im looking at £1200 just for a floor.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Mr Tile

posted on 27/3/13 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
The Eco Tile stuff looks good. Very similar to what I am thinking of using with Flexi Tile but still not 100% sure. I want to make sure I get my money worth and that it will last. Don't want to have to tear it up in a year but have heard good stuff about them on other forums so might give them ago.

http://flexi-tile.com/catalogsearch/advanced/result/?&setting=64 Let me know what you think. Probably between them and Eco Tile at the minute.

mcerd1

posted on 27/3/13 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
it only cost me £70 for enough floor paint to do a 6.5 x 12.2m floor.... and thats with decent one part proper floor paint !
(the 2 part paints are tougher, but cost a bit more...)

it keeps the dust down and is easy to clean too

I painted it a nice light grey colour and its amazing how much light it reflects compared to plain concrete
along with a couple of coats of white emulsion on the wall (mixed with PVA at ~10:1) means I don't need to have as many lights so I save even more

[Edited on 27/3/2013 by mcerd1]

-

rdodger

posted on 27/3/13 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
My Locost option was sheets of hardboard layed down and the joints taped with duct tape. 24'x22' garage so tile wasn't an option!

I damped it down when it was laid so it sits nice and flat. Been down for 2 years and still going strong!

b14wrc

posted on 27/3/13 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
rdodger

Do you have a photo of your floor, just for interest it sounds like a good method.

Rob

20vt powered rear engined locost

rdodger

posted on 27/3/13 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
Not specifically of the floor but you can see it

It really is just 8'x4' sheets of hardboard butted & taped together.

Oh I also have some nice beige carpet over half of it. That doesn't stand up as well to weld spatter!

[Edited on 27/3/13 by rdodger]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.