Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Chassis for tall driver
martynB

posted on 27/3/13 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
Chassis for tall driver

Hi

I am 6'8" and am a little concerned about cockpit dimensions, I have looked at the McSorely 442 and will do some CAD work to see if I can fit, but would really love to hear other peoples experiences of fitting a tall lump like myself into one of these chassis and how far you can push the dimensions before having issues.

I have seen some posts about L to W ratios but I am sure that's only part of the issue especially if you are working to a donor dimensions so I suppose that raises the next question, what donors are there that are wider than others?

Martyn

maccmike

posted on 27/3/13 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
something like this maybe?

[img]
[/img]

[Edited on 27/3/13 by maccmike]

mikeb

posted on 27/3/13 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
I'm 6 4 and fine in the haynes roadster chassis, Andy from Saturn Sports Cars was taller than me and fitted in check the haynes forum for more details
martynB

posted on 27/3/13 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikeb
I'm 6 4 and fine in the haynes roadster chassis, Andy from Saturn Sports Cars was taller than me and fitted in check the haynes forum for more details

It may be me but I cant see you photo

martynB

posted on 27/3/13 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikeb

Thanks

BenB

posted on 27/3/13 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
Also 6ft4 and fit in a STM (now Aries) chassis fine but it's a tight squeeze. All depends whether your height is in your legs or trunk. For me it's all waist down!
Talon Motorsport

posted on 27/3/13 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
If you use bolt on CV joints to make the drive shafts longer from Sierra/Granada BMW 7 series or MX5 you can add spacers with off set holes. You can all so reduce the width of the tunnel as you don't need a 180mm tunnel for a 50mm prop shaft. I've added 50-75mm to the length of a haynes roadster chassis with out problems you just need to make custom side pannels.

[Edited on 27/3/13 by Talon Motorsport]

[Edited on 27/3/13 by Talon Motorsport]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Charlie_Zetec

posted on 27/3/13 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
I'm 6'3" and a pretty big boy (think rugby) and fit in a 442 with plenty of space. I also fit in a wide-body Westfield, although it is a bit more "snug".

If you put your location in your profile, there might be someone nearby who can let you sit in and see how various cars suit!

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

ceebmoj

posted on 27/3/13 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
I'm 6'4 and fit in a standard locost, Ideal I would like a touch more leg room.
Custardpants

posted on 27/3/13 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
6' 3" and fit in an MK Indy chassis without issue, without the seat all the way back, with evenly proportioned ergonomics. Apart from shoulder width and leg length don't forget to consider roll cage clearance - at 6' 5" you'd be pushed to have a decent amount of head clearance inside the Indy R full cage without hitting it with your head during a rollover. While just a conventional roll over bar initially appears to remove this problem your head will still be hitting the ground instead- I believe most 750mc marshalls look for a head clearance of 25 mm below an imaginary line drawn from the top of the roll bar to the first solid thing under the bonnet.
Tatey

posted on 27/3/13 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
I'm 6'5" and I fit fine into the Haynes Roadster chassis, however I have increased the height of the book roll bar by 100mm to get the clearance I need. On the haynes forum there is a diagram of how you should get your roll bar made with extra bends to make the bottom of the roll bar straight meaning you can change the length of it to suit you.
Daddylonglegs

posted on 27/3/13 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
6' 4" and fit nicely in the +442 I've got Cobra seats too so not the skinniest of bum parks, but comfortable

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

twybrow

posted on 27/3/13 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
Also 6ft4 and fit in a STM (now Aries) chassis fine but it's a tight squeeze. All depends whether your height is in your legs or trunk. For me it's all waist down!

I'm 6' 6" with stupidly long legs - I fit into an Aries/Stuart Taylor Chassis. The key point I found is seat choice (low and as far back as possible), pedal box (floor mounted and pushed back as far as possible), and a small steering wheel mounted reasonably high to avoid hitting your knees!

40inches

posted on 27/3/13 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
You can try the MK on for size, if you are down Chesterfield way sometime.
I have a friend at 6' 4", he fits in easily.

Irony

posted on 27/3/13 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
Luego Viento. Just plain comfy.
martynB

posted on 28/3/13 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
You can try the MK on for size, if you are down Chesterfield way sometime.
I have a friend at 6' 4", he fits in easily.

Cheers much appreciated, when the snow clears enough that I don't have to use the tractor to get off the hill I may take you up on that.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.