Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fair price to hang a door?
ChrisW

posted on 13/5/13 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Fair price to hang a door?

Anyone know about this?

Currently just an empty doorway cut in a stud wall, so the frame needs fitting, hinges, door hanging, fire stops, etc. Also need the door closers fitted.

Fire doors if you hadn't guessed. We don't need them for the regs, just want nice solid doors.

I'm being quoted £90 per door labour only. Is that fair? There are 14 to do so it's not an insignificantly priced job!

Thanks, Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ruskino80

posted on 13/5/13 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Its a fair price for one or two doors but not for a larger number,i would suggest seeing if you can get someone on a day rate where i would expect to see around 3 doors done in the day.(around here a day rate is approx £130)
jps

posted on 13/5/13 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
I've heard of it being a very expensive job, compared to what you might expect, but don't have first hand experience...
Aaron_n_Sim

posted on 13/5/13 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
London prices are high, when I work in Guildford I get £80 a day in London £150 that's as a painter!!

Thanks

Aaron

Work to Live don't Live to Work

dave r

posted on 13/5/13 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
having done a couple for myself, it takes time to do it right.... i would say abut right if you were doing it for a living

I'd love to give my imaginary friend a great big hug,

but this jacket makes it impossible.

JoelP

posted on 13/5/13 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
I'd try to get a better price with there being 14 to do. A joiner shouldn't be earning 180 or more per day on something as simple as doors. Don't get me wrong, fire doors can be a ballache getting the gaps perfect for the smoke strips, but it's not that hard.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

myke pocock

posted on 13/5/13 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, getting the gaps right is crucial. Ive seen some horrendous fittings but thats because the customer doesnt know what they are looking at sometimes so the chippy gets away with it.
theprisioner

posted on 14/5/13 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
Depends largely if the stud patrician is load bearing. Yes stud patricians can be. If so extra sill supports have to be employed. The standard time for fitting a door is 2.5hrs add 1/2 hr for the frame 1/2 for skirting and facings x hourly rate wich is about £25/hr wholesale.

http://sylvabuild.blogspot.com/

http://austin7special.blogspot.co.uk/

James

posted on 14/5/13 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron_n_Sim
London prices are high, when I work in Guildford I get £80 a day in London £150 that's as a painter!!

Thanks

Aaron

Only £80 a day? Really? I reckon you can put your rates up!

When I was doing handyman stuff for a bit between jobs (about 4 years ago, granted) I was charging £150 a day!

We pay £10-£12 an hour just to drive the minibus!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.