Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: That didn't go well!
-matt

posted on 1/6/13 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
That didn't go well!

Installed an oil cooler and accusump onto my R1 Indy.

Started it up on drive, all fine, no leaks etc.

Just taken it for a test drive, kept it steady all up to temp etc, stopped had a look, a couple of the joins had a tiny drop of oil but nothing really.

Then had a nice drive in the nice weather, stopped for fuel, noticed oil was raining off the chassis!!!

I can't see any major signs of leakage, but most of the threaded joins seem covered in oil aswell as the whole lower end of the engine bay!

Thankfully having the accusump fitted,I discharged some oil from there to top up the engine, and took the way home very steady with several oil stops.

I used some PTFE plumbing tape on all the threaded joins, is there something better I should use?

The hose to adapter joins look ok, but it's hard to tell what's leaked and whats just covered in oil.

What I don't get is how it's managed to spray over the bay.

This is now going to be a very messy job

bi22le

posted on 1/6/13 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
I STILL have a slightly leaky join on my accusump after 4 attempts of PTFE tape and doing it.

Its a really fine mist and does not show on oil level even over 4k miles and several tracks. Bloody messy though and very annoying.

End of that rant story is that I am also interested in what people suggest!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Tatey

posted on 1/6/13 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
Would it be possible to provide a picture of the type of joins you are using? I'm not familiar with the accusump/dry sumping
bigfoot4616

posted on 1/6/13 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
Tatey, the valve and pressure switch are NPT threads needing PTFE tape. then its just standard -10 fittings.

i read a bit about them leaking and also that NPT threads need to be done up very tight. i did that and have no leaks.

-matt

posted on 2/6/13 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
Just stripped all my pipe work down, and what do I then find at the bottom of engine bay, the bloody oil filler cap!

No wonder it made such a mess. I'm actually quite surprised I made it so far without emptying the whole oil contents!

I thought it seemed a lot of bloody oil for a small leak.

Oh well time to rebuild it again, after I've cleaned everything up.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.