Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Domestic cleaners - a few questions
Andybarbet

posted on 14/7/13 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
Domestic cleaners - a few questions

My wife has been doing some domestic cleaning for a family member since she lost her job.

2 friends have now asked & want her to do some bits for them too.

Question is, what sort of rates of pay should she charge & does she need any sort of insurance ?

With only me working for the last six months, things have been very hard financially so even £30 a week would be a great help but we dont want her working for pennies.
We understand that she will need to declare what she earns (not that it will affect anything because we dont claim any benefits).

Does anyone have a clue as to the going rates of pay etc ?

Cheers in advance - Andy

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

Daddylonglegs

posted on 15/7/13 at 05:59 AM Reply With Quote
If people can afford a cleaner then they can afford a decent pay for them. I would think that between £8-£10 per hour would be quite reasonable depending on how much it involves. Don't let you wife work for peanuts, it can be tiring and messy work and although I'm not flush I wouldn't grumble at paying those rates if they did a good job (which I'm sure she does )

I would think that she would need liability insurance but I'm not an expert, just my guess.

HTH

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

scudderfish

posted on 15/7/13 at 06:19 AM Reply With Quote
Google wins again

Here is one naming a price

http://www.damsels.org/forum/showthread.php/50641-Molly-maid-cleaners-how-much

spaximus

posted on 15/7/13 at 06:46 AM Reply With Quote
Price is one bit of the equation, quantity is the next. We paid £10 per hour but in three hours she would do the whole 4 bedroom house and the ironing.

Trust is a big thing as you need keys for the house and keep the quality and she will be able to work full time at this.

jabs

posted on 15/7/13 at 07:03 AM Reply With Quote
Ours charges £10 per hour + £1 extra as we live just outside her normal area. One thing she has told us is she has to use our vacuum cleaner as using hers could spread allergies etc. Don't forget to claim the cleaning materials on your tax form

[Edited on 15/7/13 by jabs]

FASTdan

posted on 15/7/13 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
We pay £30 for ours doing which is a 4 bed reasonably sized terrace (but currenlty only 2 beds get cleaned as the others are building sites). There's usually 2 of them and takes about 1.5hrs, so this seems to tie up with the £10p/h others have quoted.

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Andybarbet

posted on 15/7/13 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
Excellent help from locosters as usual, im thinking if she goes in at £8 per hour that should be a reasonably fair price.

To be honest, she does have high cleaning standards & she enjoys doing it so this could be the way forward.

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

DavidW

posted on 15/7/13 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
I think ours is £9/hour.
dhutch

posted on 15/7/13 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
Think my parents pay 12 an hour currently, as they found the 'molly maid' type setups hopeless* and having now finally found someone who can do it long term and keen to retain them. Its also a fairly remote village.

* Because they came in gangs of three or so and you get different people every time so you cant watch them all, and having explained what you want and how you want it doing one week, your back to square one next week. Lot of people are really poor at cleaning, mopping round things, using the same cloth to do the loo floor, walls, sink, kitchen, dishes....

Daniel

MikeRJ

posted on 15/7/13 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daddylonglegs
If people can afford a cleaner then they can afford a decent pay for them.

Bit of a non sequitur surely? It's entirely possible someone could afford a cleaner who charges a low hourly wage but not otherwise.

I'm certainly not suggesting the OP's wife charge minimum wage however, which is barely a step up from slave labour.

mark chandler

posted on 15/7/13 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
I would expect to pay £10 - £12 an hour, it's all in the cleaner.

My friends wife gets £15 an hour and is in demand, she assesses what needs doing each time she visits so her hours do vary and is happy to do ironing if left out etc.

No point in starting off at £8, when you factor in travelling time etc its more time than just walking in the door.

Andybarbet

posted on 15/7/13 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers chaps, she has quoted £8.50 per hour, both people live on our estate in walking distance & both are fine with wife taking our 1 year old there whilst she cleans, one has accepted so fingers crossed for the other one too.

Thanks for the advice, it is much appreciated as always :-)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.