Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Trailer
austin man

posted on 22/8/13 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Trailer

Does a trailer have to be braked to tow a car ?? I am looking for a trailer to tow an Indy can anyone recomend what wed length and width is suitable as well please

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Mark Allanson

posted on 22/8/13 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Anything with a combined weight of 750kgs has to be braked

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

big_wasa

posted on 22/8/13 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
You also need a tow car that can tow an un-braked load of 750kg

one of the neatest ones ive seen.

Link

[Edited on 22/8/13 by big_wasa]

austin man

posted on 22/8/13 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
Think my T5 transporter should be okay as a towing vehicle, looking at Trailers obviously dont want to buy something I cant use legally

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Dangle_kt

posted on 22/8/13 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by austin man
Does a trailer have to be braked to tow a car ?? I am looking for a trailer to tow an Indy can anyone recomend what wed length and width is suitable as well please

it depends on the weight of the car and trailer. My locost was under 500kg, and the trailer was under 250kg, so it was ok to be unbraked.

Braked is better though, especially on motorway slip roads - that can be quite an experience first time without a braked trailer!

Peteff

posted on 23/8/13 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
If you ever have to brake sharply with an unbraked trailer you can soon come to grief. It can lift the rear wheels of the towing vehicle off of the floor with very little effort and jackknife you in no time. I was a passenger in a Land Rover it happened to and the trailer came round and creased the side panel and they are rated to tow several tons braked.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.