Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rear view mirror!
MsD

posted on 25/10/13 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
Rear view mirror!

Afternoon,

I'm after advice yet again! How do people with no windscreen get through the IVA with regards a rear view mirror mounted on the scuttle?
I had a race tech one loosely fitted and after placing cones at the set distance could only see roughly 50% of what I needed to.... So I bought a large convex mirror and I still have the same 50% view but now I can see the reflection of myself at one side and the passenger at the other!

So basically I'm stumped at how to get round this?

Do I-
1/ not bother with a rear view and just use the side mirrors( which give good visibility) and hope that mr IVA doesn't check.
2/ put the rear view on a stupid extension pole to clear the top of the car?
3/ fit what I have and again hope mr IVA doesn't check?

Any help would be appreciated as usual!

Mark.

Not Anumber

posted on 25/10/13 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
From a post IVA perspective using a review view mirror on the scuttle is almost completely useless in traffic on such a low car . I have a windscreen on mine and am making up brakets to move mine to the top of the screen.

loggyboy

posted on 25/10/13 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
The only way wil get away without having one is by proving if you had one, it would give no useable vision (ie in a van), then you can have a left and right only. However unless you plan on paneling your rollcar, this is unlikely so you will need to provide one.

The vehicle must have an nearside exterior mirror fitted (if the interior rear view mirror gives no view to the rear or the rear window is less than 70% light transmittance) (see note 3 & 5)

Note 3: The interior mirror must be positioned as far as is practical to afford the best possible view to the rear, if the interior rear-view mirror does not provide any rearward vision its presence shall not be required.

So you need to do all you can to make it work.
BUT, remember if you cant see all you need to, the nearside mirror can be used to make up for it:

Note 6: If fitted, an optional nearside mirror may supplement the field of view requirements of the obligatory mirrors

ANNEX 1 - NOTE 3: If an interior mirror does not provide the required field of view, a nearside exterior mirror meeting the appropriate field of view requirement must be fitted.[i/]

[Edited on 25-10-13 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

pekwah1

posted on 25/10/13 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
i used a convex racetech mirror on the scuttle, it was usable and the IVA tester was happy with it!
pewe

posted on 25/10/13 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
Just to add the Mr SVA didn't like the radius on my Racetech mirror edges.
I ended up having to trim with some beading - go figure.....
Cheers, Pewe10

pekwah1

posted on 25/10/13 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
yeh i had to trim mine with some edging strip, quite easy with a bit of superglue!
40inches

posted on 25/10/13 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
I have a trimmed long mount Convex Racetech, passed IVA with it, the idea was to change it after IVA, I have done nearly 1800miles and it's still there. I use it more than the wing mirrors
Morning of IVA, it passed!
Morning of IVA, it passed!

wicket

posted on 25/10/13 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
I used a interior mirror from a Ford and mounted it upside down, see pics in my photo archive 'On the road'. Passed SVA no problem and does give a bit of a view behind.
doobrychat

posted on 25/10/13 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
I too used a ford one upside down with a sticky pad but didn't need it for IVA as i had one each side..not a word said about my rear view mirror and now removed and i don't have one.... Exactly the same as my van...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.