Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fines for taking kids out of school ?
Jon Ison

posted on 11/12/13 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
Fines for taking kids out of school ?

What's your thoughts, kid with 100% attendance record, both parents receive individual fines for taking said kid on holiday during term time, not a regular occurrence a one off for example extending a half term break by 5 school days.

Thoughts ?

richardh

posted on 11/12/13 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
Still cheaper than paying over the odds for school holiday times.
Plus every time son's teacher is off, i send in an invoice for the same amount.

Time for a change!

r1_pete

posted on 11/12/13 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
Mixed feelings on this one, Understand the cost of holidays rocket in school holidays. But also the impact on a class of schoolkids when one has missed lessons and needs additional attention to catch up.

How about, instead of fines, parents meet the cost of additional tuition out of school hours so the kid catches up......

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve m

posted on 11/12/13 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
But surely its easier for the child to be ill, cough cough

that's what we did with my Grandson a two years ago, and the school even told my Daughter to do it!
He 13 now, and I would not let him miss the best part of his schooling now !!

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Jon Ison

posted on 11/12/13 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
Mixed feelings on this one, Understand the cost of holidays rocket in school holidays. But also the impact on a class of schoolkids when one has missed lessons and needs additional attention to catch up.

How about, instead of fines, parents meet the cost of additional tuition out of school hours so the kid catches up......

The flip side can I fine our LEA for the 3 days lost this term to strikes? Can I fine them when the weather man says it might snow 3 weeks on Tuesday so the kids are sent home? And can I ask why the kid who can't string two full weeks togethor over a full academic year parents don't get fined? Just askin.

mookaloid

posted on 11/12/13 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
If as a society we are trying to instill a sense of responsibility into our kids for future working life then we should discourage rule breaking, pulling sickies and the like.

Doing this when they are at school just sets them a bad example for later in life. It's harsh but IMHO the fines are not only appropriate but if they don't make the absence prohibitive then they aren't large enough either.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

steve m

posted on 11/12/13 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
Although I agree, that rules are rules, but the modern way of life means that we all get leave at different times of the year
I, and my wife, work in teams and every one in our teams would want the summer holidays off, to be with our kids/grandkids
(I would not !!)

So lets shut the country down between july and september to accommodate this ??

mmm, that would not work either !! as I work for an airline, and those times are the busiest and money making times we have

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Smoking Frog

posted on 11/12/13 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
Seems unfair to me. Can understand it if the parents were irresponsible and kept their kids off school for selfish reasons on a regular basis. For a one-off it should be the parents decision. It's a shame we live in a society where telling the truth is not always the best thing to do.
Dick Axtell

posted on 11/12/13 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
Been told by Birmingham teacher that its not legally enforceable to fine parents for their child's non-attendance at school. Dunno how accurate this is, but she should now - she was deputy head!

[Edited on 11/12/13 by Dick Axtell]

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

morcus

posted on 11/12/13 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
I don't agree with people taking the kids out of school but I think there are times when it is exceptable. I really don't agree though with fines as punishment as it's usually fixed penalties which disproportionatly effect poorer people.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

owelly

posted on 11/12/13 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
I live in a touristy and farmy area. Most of the parents of the kids that go to school with my kids are in the tourist industry with campsites, hotles, guest houses, etc or are farmers. These folks argue that it's not possible for them to take a holiday during the summer due to work commitments. But these same folks have already taken a holiday during the summer holidays anyway!!
Why not just get the schools to stagger the term times? It's not like we need a long summer holiday to help out on the farms anymore!!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sdh2903

posted on 11/12/13 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
We do this fairly regularly I will openly admit. BUT, we only do it at the end of the school year just before the summer holidays with the schools blessing. The last week of term they never do anything constructive unless its exam year. Its do this or we can't afford a holiday, and I work for one of the biggest holiday companies around

And before we get on to the topic of holiday prices during school holidays, I used to detest this practice until I spoke to one of the finance bods at work who explained that the bulk of our profits are made during very small pockets throughout the year i.e school holidays, we run at a loss for the whole winter season. Without this all holidays would rise in price and the demand for cheap winter sun holidays during the off season would fall through the floor and we wouldn't be able to survive as a 6 month/year operation.

carpmart

posted on 11/12/13 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
The only person who still goes to school in my house is my wife who is a teacher. I really do encourage her to take time off during term as I'm sick of going on holiday at the same time as all the bloody kids are off!

She never does bunk off though, mores the pity!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

Slimy38

posted on 11/12/13 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
Our daughters school had the perfect policy, you actually request leave the same as a job. At least four weeks notice and they could determine whether their education would be hugely impacted. At the beginning of term was a bit risky and could get refused, end of term was better.

But then they had to apologise and bow to the LEA rules. They seemed as disappointed as the rest of us. And now we still do it, but we have to pay a fine.

It's unlikely we'll do it when she gets to exam age but for now it's the best option, not just for the cost but to be able to get close to the pool while we're away!

adithorp

posted on 11/12/13 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Trouble is that although it seems like a "one off" from the parent/child perspective, from the School/teacher perspective it's 100's of kids doing it.

As the heads and teachers are judged on the kids results, you have to see their point. Maybe a compromise would be better; The fine is only levied if the kid fails to get his expected/predicted grades.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

coyoteboy

posted on 11/12/13 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Kids education...cheap holiday...wonder which is better to have...

It's not a matter of 2 weeks missing maths, it's a case of not teaching poor attitude towards school and not giving the teacher a PITA catching up a dozen kids who are all at different stages.

[Edited on 11/12/13 by coyoteboy]

madteg

posted on 11/12/13 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Just take the fine and dont pay it Fu-k em. I have seven kids could you imagine how much i would cost me to take them in six weeks holiday.
coyoteboy

posted on 11/12/13 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
I find it a bit odd that people have kids, then break the law because the law forces them to pay more. Doesn't that just mean you can't afford to have kids but chose to anyway?

PSpirine

posted on 11/12/13 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
Although I agree, that rules are rules, but the modern way of life means that we all get leave at different times of the year
I, and my wife, work in teams and every one in our teams would want the summer holidays off, to be with our kids/grandkids
(I would not !!)

So lets shut the country down between july and september to accommodate this ??

mmm, that would not work either !! as I work for an airline, and those times are the busiest and money making times we have

You joke, but that's what a lot of Europe does (takes August off as holidays). France, Spain, Cyprus (personal experience), you can expect pretty much everything to be closed for 2-3 weeks in August. Service industries tend to stay open for obvious reasons, but you'd be surprised the amount of stuff that closes doors...

Not suggesting it's a good or bad idea, but it clearly works for some!

Other alternative is take holidays when it snows - the whole country here shuts down anyway. Take up skiing perhaps?

Slimy38

posted on 11/12/13 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
I find it a bit odd that people have kids, then break the law because the law forces them to pay more. Doesn't that just mean you can't afford to have kids but chose to anyway?

For me its not the money, its the freedom to go out of peak season and be able to do things when we want instead of queueing with the rest of the uk just to buy an icecream. Little things like a round of crazy golf, one hour off peak, three hours peak, and its the same amount of holes!

SteveWalker

posted on 11/12/13 at 11:42 PM Reply With Quote
It's not just about the money. For some people who cannot get time off during the school holidays it is simply a choice of go in term time or have no family holiday at all.

There was an interesting letter from a teacher in one of the papers a few weeks ago - it basically said that for an average or above average pupil with good attendance, a term time holiday will have no damaging effects as they teach all the important stuff three times over to ensure that the whole class has got it.

coyoteboy

posted on 11/12/13 at 11:51 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah I was only kidding with the last comment, but I think if people didn't take the P they wouldn't implement these things. Give people an inch and they'll take a mile. The bulk of people will take kids away and check they catch up after, some don't care. Unfortunately it's only the kids that lose out - kids need protecting from stupid parents.

beaver34

posted on 12/12/13 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
how much is the fine?
jossey

posted on 12/12/13 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
i guess it depends on what year they are in. I wouldnt take my daughter in the last few years of high school but when she was 5-10 it didnt mind so much.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

matt_gsxr

posted on 12/12/13 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
Interesting discussion. Here are some facts/details on the issue nationally.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2013/nov/29/primary-schools-parents-fined-term-time-holidays

Personally, I think fining changes it from a moral issue (the parent giving their child the best opportunity for life), and turns it into simple Tax on getting a cheaper holiday that you can factor in when booking.

Matt

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.