Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Lowered Floorpan
peter030371

posted on 7/1/14 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
Lowered Floorpan

Any one have any pictures of a lowered aluminium floorpan, ideally on a Striker or something similar? Trying to get my head around the idea of how to do it
matt_gsxr

posted on 7/1/14 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
Isn't it just a box/tray instead of a sheet.

Like this
http://web.bethere.co.uk/amigafan2003/Buildcat/Chassis.html

Nickp

posted on 7/1/14 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
What's the thinking behind that then?
peter030371

posted on 7/1/14 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
That looks a bit crude

I am sure I have seen some tapered type trays but can't picture in my head how to fold them!

peter030371

posted on 7/1/14 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nickp

I am over 6' 2" and lowering the seat even an inch will mean I am not looking through the top of the windscreen frame

mookaloid

posted on 7/1/14 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by peter030371
That looks a bit crude

I am sure I have seen some tapered type trays but can't picture in my head how to fold them!

get some cardboard, some scissors and have a play

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

adithorp

posted on 7/1/14 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
Read somewhere of someone cannibalising one of THESE to lower their seat.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Nickp

posted on 7/1/14 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by peter030371
quote:
Originally posted by Nickp

I am over 6' 2" and lowering the seat even an inch will mean I am not looking through the top of the windscreen frame

Ahhh I see, or actually you do

snapper

posted on 7/1/14 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
Westfield did a dropped floor
No more than a shallow box with wings that drops in to a hole when you cut the flat floor
I believe it rises at the front in a slope up to the floor mounted pedal box

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

steve m

posted on 7/1/14 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
Pekwah1 is 6'5" tall, and drives a striker, and that's with a standard floor pan
perhaps ask him ?

Steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

kipper

posted on 8/1/14 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
A higher screen may be better, Ground clearance is minimal and with speed bumps you may get a jolt up the spine
Regards Denis.

Where did that go?
<<<<

Nickp

posted on 8/1/14 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kipper
A higher screen may be better, Ground clearance is minimal and with speed bumps you may get a jolt up the spine
Regards Denis.

That was my initial thought also.

iank

posted on 8/1/14 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
There are some pictures of the technique in a midget here http://www.peterrenn.clara.net/midget.html#legroom
Though that's just under the pedals you can do the same thing under the cushion if you have the ground clearance.
Which is best depends on whether your height is mostly in your legs or torso.

ETA: Also what seat are you using? Foam&Binbag seats are the thinnest bases (and a good weight saving over most).

[Edited on 8/1/14 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Ivan

posted on 8/1/14 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
I would certainly do it in steel rather than Aluminium as I would hate a clout in the sensitive bits from some road debris tearing through the Al.
peter030371

posted on 8/1/14 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
Lots of answers over night

mookaloid; get some cardboard, some scissors and have a play
I would do that but was looking for what others have done rather than re-invent the wheel

steve m; Pekwah1 is 6'5" tall, and drives a striker, and that's with a standard floor pan
perhaps ask him ?

I have driven a Striker since 1995 with a mixture of seats, currently it has JK Composites seats. Its not undrive-able but I have the opportunity on my new build to make it better

kipper; A higher screen may be better, Ground clearance is minimal and with speed bumps you may get a jolt up the spine
Bigger screen is an unknown at this stage. I have a 'new scuttle' Striker which has never been fitted with a screen yet....I will be making the first one. The screen size will probably be what I can get 'off-the-shelf' from another supplier The sump, bellhousing and silencer are all lower than the floor pan. On my current Striker the sump has been knocked a few times, the bellhousing and silencer never after nearly 19 years use

iank; There are some pictures of the technique in a midget here http://www.peterrenn.clara.net/midget.html#legroom
Doing it like that is an easy mod to add later if I build it without and find I still need it....

Ivan; I would certainly do it in steel rather than Aluminium as....
Caterham do it in Ali and the current Raw pan is Ali. I do know that Steve at Fury Cars does it in steel on a Fury though but then part of the Fury floorpan has always been steel.

Thanks for all the ideas

Think I might do the initial build without dropped pan now and then add a drop in 'well' for the new seats (JK Composites again) if later in the build I find I need them.

mcerd1

posted on 8/1/14 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
dax make there ones from very thick GRP and its riveted & bonded to the chassis rails instead of the normal flat alloy floor

-

loggyboy

posted on 8/1/14 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
Pekwah1 is 6'5" tall, and drives a striker, and that's with a standard floor pan
perhaps ask him ?

Steve

Doesnt Pekwah's have an aeroscreen and no rollcage? If so he wouldnt have anything blocking his vision. I assume the OPs is a full cage

I must admit, the design of the strikers cage is very low at the front. When I sit in mine it seems very close to eyeline, and im only 5'11. I asked for a bespoke top bars for mine, and even gave them some photos/sketchup of what I wanted, and it still came very low are the front, At the wrong angle it makes it look quite odd!

Mistral Motorsport

peter030371

posted on 8/1/14 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
My new Striker will have an aeroscreen to get it all up and running....then I want to add the screen later.

It can't be a standard Striker screen as you need the 'classic' body for a windscreen from Raw and I have the new scuttle design so I will be sourcing/ making/ finding/ stealing/ growing my own

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.