Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Leeds city centre - where to live?
russbost

posted on 26/2/14 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
Leeds city centre - where to live?

I know we have plenty of Northern members on here & I'm sure some of you must have personal experience of the area around Leeds City Centre & I'm looking for information!

My son & his girlfriend will be moving there this coming Autumn, she has a PhD at Leeds Uni & he will be looking for work as a Vet. They want to stay within easy walking distance of the Leeds Uni campus, say within a mile or so of the Woodhouse Moor/St Georges Field area.

We're trying to find them some (fairly) modern housing which we'll be purchasing, I'm trying to avoid the old Victorian/Edwardian stuff which seems to be the bulk of the housing in that area, I would be obliged to anyone for local knowledge of specific areas to avoid as we know little of the area. I doubt they'd want to be as far away as Harehills, but someone has told us it's rough, same goes for Holbeck, Hunslet & Osmonthorpe? Can anyone comment Yay or Nay?

There seems to be a fair bit of property comes up around the Carlton Hill, Carlton Rise, Carlton Gate area - doesn't look very pretty, but I would guess built originally as council housing around the 50's/60's? What's the area like, good or bad.

Another area with property that looks possibly suitable is the Melville Rd./Woodhouse St/Holborn St. area; again, good or bad & Woodsley Rd. near the mosque??? & what about the area around Lovell Park?

Burley Rd. area?

Finally Scott Hall Rd. - is that a really busy main rd. into Leeds & hence to be avoided?

Absolutely any info from those in the know much appreciated - you cannot beat local knowledge!

Thanx in advance!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Wadders

posted on 26/2/14 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Hope I don't offend anyone, but personally I wouldn't particularly want to live in any of the areas you've mentioned, although like any city even within specific areas
There is good and bad. If it's newer property your looking at might be worth looking at some of the city centre apartments, they built thousands of them before the property slump so plenty of bargains to be had.

Brook_lands

posted on 26/2/14 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
If you want newish housing near the centre of Leeds you are really looking at apartments. There is a massive over supply around the river/ canal so prices can be keen if people want a quick sale- obviously if things haven't picked up when you come to sell you may be in the same position. Leeds is a major student city with three universities and a very large college which also delivers University courses. This means there are huge areas of student housing across a swathe of the city. It started with Headingley, Woodhouse and Hyde Park areas but has now spread to cover Burley (Kirkstall Road) Meanwood and Harehill and increasingly further afield such as Beeston. All these areas are predominately Victorian terraces or Victorian/Edwardian town houses whose glory faded many decades ago. You can find enclaves of new developments but generally it's older stock. Beeston, Holbeck etc are not really walking distance to the University nor is Harehills.

Ok I'm a middle aged bloke but most of the areas around the University would not be my choice. I'm afraid I would either go for City centre apartment or one of the commuter suburbs and at the moment it's the latter. Lived in Headingley and Harehills as a student 30 years ago then moved out to suburbs, Headingley was ok (for students) but even then I wouldn't have wanted my wife walking around Harehills on her own.

[Edited on 26/2/14 by Brook_lands]

vyperstrype

posted on 26/2/14 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Leeds Housing

HI,
There are some nice flats/apartments on the Saxton Gardens complex, which is a modern development, it is situated fairly close to the Bus Station. My Daughter has lived there for over 2 years now, and is very happy there. It is ideal for City commuting and nightlife. It is a very secure area, which is gated and requires a security pass to gain entry to the complex, plus 24 hour cctv.
Scott Hall Rd is quite nice, but you would want to be towards the top end , towards Moortown, but prices go up the further up you go.

Where there's a will, there's a death!!

JoelP

posted on 26/2/14 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Ditto all the above, you don't want to live in any of those areas above, both for noisy students and equally scumbags thinking they are easy targets. The only time someone has tried to mug me on the streets was walking around Woodhouse. City centre apartment is a much better idea. As said there is an over supply so can be had cheap, following a lot of repossessions a few years back.

Scott Hall Road is a very busy 40mph dual carriageway, and all the areas at the bottom are bleak, be it Chapeltown, Miles Hill etc. Further up past Chapel Allerton gets nicer, and there are good bars there too!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

kj

posted on 26/2/14 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Worked in hunslet and it was roughh had a baseball bat first aid kit and fire extinguisher in my boot seen some bad things

Will ask a mate for recommendations

[Edited on 26/2/14 by kj]

Think about it, think about it again and then do it.

russbost

posted on 26/2/14 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Don't want to go for flat unless absolutely forced to due to service charges etc, surely there must be some reasonable housing somewhere near the uni or is it all absolutely dire?

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
TPG

posted on 26/2/14 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
Not much help but: Ripon. Get the 36 bus into Leeds.......

..Which was nice..

Brook_lands

posted on 26/2/14 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
Don't want to go for flat unless absolutely forced to due to service charges etc, surely there must be some reasonable housing somewhere near the uni or is it all absolutely dire?

I'm afraid anything/most within a mile or so of the University is pretty dire. Far Headingley up around Leeds Met University's Beckett Park site has some inter war semis that are not particularly attractive to buy to let to student landlords and have remained as family homes. However they do seem to get a good price as there aren't very many of them.

mac1ZR

posted on 26/2/14 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
Worked in Harehills just before Christmas, I know its too far out for you, but don't even give it a slight consideration. Its one of the worst places ive been in. Druggies, and dodgey people hanging around all day. The houses around where I was working had security bars at doors and windows, and even some roads blocked with steel security fences. Avoid at all costs
Wadders

posted on 26/2/14 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
Think you will struggle to find anywhere modern close to the uni, Pretty much all the property surrounding the uni is old terraces, the majority of which have long been converted to student housing. They fetch daft money due to potential rental income. The only new housing close to the uni I can think of is Little London, which is quite frankly scary. Meanwood also has some newer housing but is quite a hike to the uni and again the nicer parts are the furthest away.

Concerning actual areas, all this info is coming from an old farts perspective, I'm guessing the young uns would take it all in their stride and might revel in the carnival atmosphere which is par for the course in Headingley, Hyde Park, Woodhouse etc.

Might be worth you doing some searches on Zoopla and see if anything takes your fancy then run it by us. I do a lot of work in that part of Leeds and would be happy to have a drive by nosey if it helps.

big-vee-twin

posted on 26/2/14 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
I have worked in Leeds since 1995, been involved with some of the apartment schemes.

I live in York, I wouldn't live in Leeds for all the tea in China!

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

russbost

posted on 26/2/14 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
Well, take this

Link

as an example, it looks clean, modern & nice, it's towards the Burley area, but from what you guys are saying, & I certainly respect local knowledge, the whole area around the Uni is pretty rough, however if that's the case there's little advantage in a flat over a house, ok it may be gated etc. but you still have to come & go & it's starting to sound a bit like Syria!!!

Wadders

posted on 26/2/14 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
Good find that is. Reasonable area on the outer edge of student land, fairly quiet down there but not too far from the action or the uni.
Easy walk in to the city centre too.

perksy

posted on 26/2/14 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
Worth booking a long weekend up there and having a shufty up close at areas that might be ok ?
You can't beat having a look for yourself when you have a shortlist...

jossey

posted on 27/2/14 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
As many have mentioned most of the student areas you have
Mentioned are a bit cr@p, but I'm sure that is the same in most cities.

I lived in Leeds for 30 years and lived in a few of the areas you mentioned. People say crime is bad around most nod the areas you mention and yes it can be, common sense needs to be applied in any city obviously.... People leaving windows downstairs option n laptops on show etc

There are a lot of nice apartments for sale in the city centre like the total armories n near the train station and call lane. Cheap to buy but better to rent.

If I was to suggest where in the local estates to live I would suggest Hyde park and get security up rated a bit the doors are old and rubbish and windows poor security.

There are some lovely Georgian houses around that area but not cheap to buy due to the size and rental yield.

Wood house moor area should be a no go.

Good luck with finding them a house.

I calling you later so I will catch you then.

Ps not all flats or houses in the big buildings in Leeds have service charges I have lived in 3 and 1 had service charge others did not. I bought one near the calls and that had £150 a year service charge.

David j

[Edited on 27/2/14 by jossey]

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
russbost

posted on 27/2/14 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by perksy
Worth booking a long weekend up there and having a shufty up close at areas that might be ok ?
You can't beat having a look for yourself when you have a shortlist...

Absolutely, but what that doesn't necessarily show you is the real character of an area, you catch it on a day when the druggies, thuggies & general dross happened to have had a heavy night (police raid!)& haven't got out & about & it can look a lot better than it is, tho' I find the presence/absence of graffiti, types of cars & condition, presence/absence of washing machine & 3 piece suite in the front garden can be helpful in these matters! Unfortunately we live best part of 300 miles away so we're not going to be able to visit too many times b4 a decision needs to be taken

Is it the case that whilst the general area around the Uni/Woodhouse is rough that there are small pockets of new building/small estates that would be worth considering, or do these also suffer with high crime rate etc.?

jossey

posted on 27/2/14 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
I have friends who live in newer areas of wood house and love the location but more for access to Leeds. None of them have been robbed or burgled, that said crime will always be higher in student areas than others.

Headingley has some nice areas and is 15min on bus into the uni and cheaper

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
daveb666

posted on 27/2/14 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
For the prices that you can get a decent sizes 1/2 bed apartment I'd look at those. Security is obviously improved as you generally have several sets of doors to get through, and you can't get much closer to the city life.

Bang some offensive offers in; you never know what may be accepted. Let them have a year there and see how they like it. This will give them a feel for the areas they like and hopefully a better idea of the sort of place they may want to live.

At the end of the year, assuming you got a good purchase price, you can either re-sell or let out. Typically you should get between 5-8% on a rented decent apartment in Leeds centre.

[Edited on 27/2/14 by daveb666]

2007bc Photography - Commercial and Wedding Photographer based in West Yorkshire

http://www.2007bc.co.uk / http://www.huddersfieldcommercialphotographer.co.uk

swanny

posted on 27/2/14 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
lived in lees for a couple of years in Meanwood, five mins on bus into middle of town, niceish local shops cafes (even a waitrose now) not as infiltrated as student-ville headingly, but near to its restaurants. we had a nice semi in a culdesac.

had friends that lived in the town centre flats and always thought they were nice, though the direct view of the waste ground/druggies using wasnt so great. i imagine more of that is built on now.

loved leeds. and would go back.

Leeds. live it. love it!

North leeds verty close to open countryside which may help jobs for the Vet too

daveb666

posted on 27/2/14 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swanny
loved leeds. and would go back.

Probably less gun crime than Nottingham too huh?

2007bc Photography - Commercial and Wedding Photographer based in West Yorkshire

http://www.2007bc.co.uk / http://www.huddersfieldcommercialphotographer.co.uk

swanny

posted on 27/2/14 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
Gun crime in nottingham down by 90% apparently since this happened: http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2007/aug/05/ukcrime.jamiedoward

added to that the acrimonious split of county and city council which left the city with all the rubbish areas and the county with all the affluent ones, meaning crime per 1000 people is distorted compared to actual geography.

the best one is as you drive from the station in order you pass Notts County (city) Trent Bridge (County) Nottingham nicest suburb West Bridgford (County) and then as you go further out of nottingham towards the M1 as you start to get closer to one of Europes largest council estate you magically get transported back to the 'city' again

i think glasgow has a similar problem.

beaver34

posted on 27/2/14 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
If it were me I'd rather live on the outskirts of the city and just get public transport in or ride

Tells a story when you have bars on downstairs windows and doors

JoelP

posted on 28/2/14 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
In defense of Leeds itself, it is actually awesome! North leeds especially so. The student areas aren't that bad so long as you stay on the ball. Only little London and the innermost parts of Woodhouse really need avoiding.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

swanny

posted on 28/2/14 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
"little london"

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.