Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: i've put diesel in the BEC!!! advice please.
MK9R

posted on 5/6/14 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
i've put diesel in the BEC!!! advice please.

Dont ask how and try not to laugh too much, but ended putting diesel in the race car at its first rolling road test!!

So what do I need to do to clean this lot out and ensure no damage to the engine (zx10r 08)?? Loads of conflicting info on google so would really like some advice from people in the know!! The engine was run witjvthe diesel in and it was only the splutter that made us realise. It was almost pure diesel in the tank

[Edited on 5/6/14 by MK9R]

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 5/6/14 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
If you are looking for shortcuts there aren't any. drain and flush the complete system.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

MK9R

posted on 5/6/14 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
If you are looking for shortcuts there aren't any. drain and flush the complete system.

No not short cuts just anything other than draining and pumoing petrol through. Fitting a new filter, but just wondering about injectors etc

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
HowardB

posted on 5/6/14 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
the AA guys have some special flushing fluids, I guess it must be possible to buy from Halfrauds or somewhere,...

this is what I found on t'web

diesel in petrol worst case scenario, the diesel will enter the cylinder and not burn, it will slide past the piston rings, into the oil sump and therefore the cars oil system, this will increase the oil level, to a point that could cause total engine failure, i.e mangled rods, bent pistons, complete block failure, or the thining of the oil can reduce lubrication to the engine and it could suffer from a full seizure/big end failure/ruined propshaft. Again this would not be an easy thing to do, the car would be very low on power and not running right, you would have to do a good bit of driving in it to achieve the above.

so if it is still running, then not only will the fuel system need flushed, but also the engine oil ought to be changed,...

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

steve m

posted on 5/6/14 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
I did it in my 7 years ago, and just pumped as nuch out and refilled with petrol and drove home
It did smoke a bit, but ran fine

However an old xflow on carbs would probably run on anything !

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

mark chandler

posted on 5/6/14 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
Drain the tank, put a couple of pints of petrol in the tank divert the fuel return to a container and hot wire the fuel pump to flush the injectors, filters etc.

Restore the pipes fill with petrol and run

[Edited on 5/6/14 by mark chandler]

nick205

posted on 5/6/14 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
Drain the tank, put a couple of pints of petrol in the tank divert the fuel return to a container and hot wire the fuel pump to flush the injectors, filters etc.

That would be my approach too.

coyoteboy

posted on 5/6/14 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
Mine too. If it was only run for a short time it's just going to be a case of flushing it through once the tank is drained. Petrol is a thinner solvent so should have no issues flushing the diesel out - just be glad it's not the other way round!

adithorp

posted on 5/6/14 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
Neverseemdervin a petrol engine cause any long term damage.

I'ddo what Mark suggests. Worst you'll get is a bit of blue smoke at first. Just be sure to get the tank dry or any remnants will settle out in the bottom everytime it's left standing and you'll get smoke again.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

JoelP

posted on 5/6/14 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
'Hot wire the fuel pump' makes me shudder every time I hear it - my mate burnt his garage down trying that!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

MK9R

posted on 5/6/14 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers all

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

jeffw

posted on 5/6/14 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
Isn't it worth a 1.4 reduction in capacity running a Diesel engine

Slimy38

posted on 5/6/14 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler

It would flush the filters and fuel lines, but it wouldn't get to the injectors would it? They're not 'injecting' if you're only operating the pump.

Having said that, I seem to remember petrol injectors are more tolerant than diesel injectors, so I wouldn't be overly worried about not cleaning those out.

To be honest, I'd just empty the tank, fill up with petrol and drive. And just in case some did get into the oil, I'd reduce the service interval by 1000 miles.

onenastyviper

posted on 5/6/14 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
Petrol in a diesel engine can ruin the high pressure pump which is (apparently) lubricated by the diesel itself: petrol does not lubricate it enough.

"If I knew what I was doing then it wouldn't be called research would it?...duh!"

coyoteboy

posted on 5/6/14 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

It would flush the filters and fuel lines, but it wouldn't get to the injectors would it? They're not 'injecting' if you're only operating the pump.

No but it'll get all but the last couple of CCs clear through the fuel rail and pressure regs, if it's EFI.

Diesel injectors are more touchy, as are high pressure diesel pumps. Most petrol stuff is fairly agricultural and will hang on to life fairly well - D isn't that bad for anything and it does wash out with petrol. Not the end of the world, but a waste of a tank of fuel!

quote:

'Hot wire the fuel pump' makes me shudder every time I hear it - my mate burnt his garage down trying that!

I shudder to think what you have to do wrong to get that to happen!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.