Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: brake fluid + light (again)
jimmyjonga

posted on 16/11/04 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
brake fluid + light (again)

do i really have to have a brake fluid warning light??? the sva manual seems a little ambiguous... it says that i have to be able to check how much fluid ive got without taking off the cap... either by a permanent min mark on a translucent container OR a warning (visible or audible)...

it then goes on to say that failure will result if i dont have both????

does anyone know if i can just have separate master cylinder reservoirs with min marks on and not do any wiring???

james

[Edited on 16/11/04 by jimmyjonga]

[Edited on 16/11/04 by jimmyjonga]

wicket

posted on 16/11/04 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
James
You do need a red warning light with symbol. See attached, this is a typical symbol.

[Edited on 16/11/04 by wicket]

[Edited on 16/11/04 by wicket] Rescued attachment Symbol.jpg
Rescued attachment Symbol.jpg

wicket

posted on 16/11/04 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
James
Here's the notes from the manual Rescued attachment Brake_Fluid_Warning_Light.jpg
Rescued attachment Brake_Fluid_Warning_Light.jpg

David Jenkins

posted on 16/11/04 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
You must have something in the passenger compartment to let you know if you've lost brake fluid.

Alternatively, you can have a pressure warning gizmo in the brake line... I think!

David

wicket

posted on 16/11/04 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
James
Here's the notes again, a bit missing last tiem. Rescued attachment Brake_Fluid_Warning_Light.jpg
Rescued attachment Brake_Fluid_Warning_Light.jpg

Peteff

posted on 16/11/04 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
3 wheeled vehicles.

If I take one of the wheels off for SVA I don't need one then.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

jimmyjonga

posted on 16/11/04 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
what confused me is that is says that i can have a translucent container OR a warning light, but then goes on to say that i will fail if i dont have both....(?)

i want to get things as simple as possible but it looks like i need the warning light to be sure i pass the sva..

anyone used an audible warning??

james

Deckman001

posted on 16/11/04 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
I wanted to, but am using the handbrake as the light check therefore joining the circuits, it is poss i guess with diodes and alike but havn't given it much thought yet as i just want to start the car at the moment

Jason

j_davis

posted on 16/11/04 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jimmyjonga
what confused me is that is says that i can have a translucent container OR a warning light, but then goes on to say that i will fail if i dont have both....(?)

You missed the 'not', it's if you don't have either a translucent container or a warning light then you will fail.

Therefore you can get away with just having a translucent container with a min mark for level indication.

However for warning of system failure you need a red warning light (with standard symbol) that is activated by either a pressure sensing device or by low level.
Hence it is easier just to fit a warning light that is activated by low level - as this covers both requirements.

EDIT: Also you need a test facility available from the driving position for the light - can either use the handbrake switch or a separate test switch

[Edited on 16/11/04 by j_davis]

Baldrick

posted on 17/11/04 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
j_davis sums it up nicely. I read the requirements as a transucent reservoir was sufficient but failed SVA because no warning light on dash. The light must be able to be tested either by the handbrake or, as I did, with a simple push button. I also had two reservoir's but simply wired them in parallel.
Chris Leonard

posted on 18/11/04 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
and make sure it does have the correct symbol - mine would have failed as it just was a red light with 'brake' on it. I had to scratch the symbol into it
Ben_Copeland

posted on 20/11/04 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jimmyjonga
EDIT: Also you need a test facility available from the driving position for the light - can either use the handbrake switch or a separate test switch

bugger, something else i need to wire in

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

britishtrident

posted on 2/12/04 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Deckman001
I wanted to, but am using the handbrake as the light check therefore joining the circuits, it is poss i guess with diodes and alike but havn't given it much thought yet as i just want to start the car at the moment

Jason

No need for diodes the bulb just earths through the handbrake switch.

chaos999

posted on 2/12/04 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
Passed SVA two weeks ago.

They wanted a light to show handbrake was on and were happy that the same light linked into the fluid resevoir cap so that when the cap plunger was depressed the light light up (simulates loss of fluid). Labelled on the dash as BRAKES!! no symbols used.

Fluid resevoir was transparent and had min mark too.

SImon

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.