Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Remote Trigger Camera ?
TimEllershaw

posted on 6/8/14 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
Remote Trigger Camera ?

Hi,

I'm looking for a camera that I can trigger and get the image remotely. It will be mounted high on a wall and is awkward enought to get to that I don't want to have to go up there regularly. I can run cables to it (power and data) if I have to.

( It is actually taking pictures of a car on a test rig at work )

I have a prototype system working with a webcam wired to a nearby PC, but the image quality is pretty rubbish. The images don't have to be massive but have to be good enough qualty to go in a customer report.

I can do it with a variety of webcams, or with our photography department's nice Nikon DSLR, but struggling to find anything in the middle.

Any Suggestions ?

Thanks,

Tim.

http://www.teenagecancertrust.org/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Joshy

posted on 6/8/14 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, not sure what your budget is but if you can afford it, a GoPro meets your requirements.

Highly mountable in remote locations, and you can link to it via wifi to remotely control it and view photos/videos

Josh

TimEllershaw

posted on 6/8/14 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joshy
Hi, not sure what your budget is but if you can afford it, a GoPro meets your requirements.

Highly mountable in remote locations, and you can link to it via wifi to remotely control it and view photos/videos

Josh

Good Call !

We've got a few, so should be able to borrow one to try out.

Tim.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ianm67

posted on 6/8/14 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a remote shutter release for my Nikon D3100 DSLR. It can be programmed to take 'X' number of shots with a configurable interval between each shot for instance. Cost less than £15 on eBay.....
HTH,
IanM

Always biting off more than I can chew.....

David Jenkins

posted on 6/8/14 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
You could also look at the Mobius camera - small, inexpensive, can be set up to start when the power's turned on. Will take video up to 1080p, or single photos up to quite a respectable definition. Can also be set up to take photos at pre-set intervals. It is fairly wide-angle, so you may have to decide whether the field of view suits you (but same goes for the GoPro).

Mobius from JooVuu

TimEllershaw

posted on 6/8/14 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
I think the biggest problem with the "Action Cam" type stuff is that they are very much optimised as video cameras. In a similar way to the webcam, it looks great as HD video, but when you want to take a still you end up with somethig that is actually quite poor. ( I guess the eye and brain are good at filling in the gaps, smoothing the artifacts and sharpening the edges in a video, while a still is always seen warts-n-all. )

They also seem to have very wide angle views, so they seem to have a lot of fish-eye distortion.

One of my coleagues went down the route of trying to piggy-back our existing CCTV system. Again looked great on screen as a video, but capturing a still it looked rubbish.

I'll play with our GoPros tomorrow and see what it is like.

Budget could be quite high ( this is a work requirement ), but it just seemed OTT to pay out £1000 for a DSLR when all we need is something with the image quality of a £99 compact. It will always take the same view , so fixed focus / zoom / exposure.

I did think I could get an old 5mp compact camera and pull it apart and re-wire the buttons to operate remotely, or maybe a Raspberry Pi with the camera module, but they are probably a little too "hacked" for a professional environment.

Has anybody played with cameras with wifi, (or with wifi enabled SD cards) ?
I assume that most of them just allow you to upload photos to the web, but I hoped that some would allow you to take control remotely.
I've been told the one probelm I'll have is that you can't turn them on remotely, but once they are on I can do everything I need.

[Edited on 6/8/2014 by TimEllershaw]

TimEllershaw

posted on 6/8/14 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ianm67
I bought a remote shutter release for my Nikon D3100 DSLR. It can be programmed to take 'X' number of shots with a configurable interval between each shot for instance. Cost less than £15 on eBay.....
HTH,
IanM

The D3100 seem to be available surprisingly cheeply, so may be a good option. It just seemed wrong to bolt an expensive DSLR to the wall to only take a couple of shots per day, but in reality the price is not much difference to the price of a GoPro. ( I love cameras, but I'm quite out of touch with the prices these days )

Looks like there is an SDK and programming interface to control a Nikon remotely so I can "easily" incorporate it into the rig control software.

Agriv8

posted on 6/8/14 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
Can recomend foscam I have 2 securing house soon to be 3 have a look at eBay

Regards agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

rgrs

posted on 6/8/14 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
What about something like this y-cam

High res, wifi enabled and you can set it to continuous record or specify snapshots at set time intervals.

On continuous record you can then pull full res frames.

IP65 etc

Roger

02GF74

posted on 6/8/14 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
If you want quality still images, then dlsr or bridge camera and wifi memory card is what i would look into.

tegwin

posted on 6/8/14 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
It depends on the subject of the photo but this sounds like the sort of thing that machine vision cameras are designed for..

Ok..so a new vision camera is silly money but you can sometimes find some quite good ones with interchangeable lenses so you can get the setup you want... Ideally one with a digital output or an ethernet port...(even better if its powered over ethernet as well)...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.