Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: does this catalyst seem reasonable?
blakep82

posted on 20/8/14 at 12:01 AM Reply With Quote
does this catalyst seem reasonable?

I'm going to be in USA early next week, thinking of getting one of these sent to the hotel
http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/mpe-54956/overview/

does that seem reasonable for my 2.0 ecotec engine on megasquirt and ITBs?
the exhaust is a 2.5" stainless system, theres no info on cpi counts etc, but the price is right.

any thoughts? guess i need to order soon really...

or this
http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/flo-2230125/overview/

[Edited on 20/8/14 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Jenko

posted on 20/8/14 at 07:11 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure if this helps, but I used one of these (see link below) on my 1.7 puma engined build (with ITB's and Omex) . seemed to work perfectly well when testing for emissions on the rolling road. It's 200cpi, so my guess is for a 2ltr you will need at least 200 - 400cpi. Assuming those ones you can get from the US are around this value, I could see no reason why it wouldn't be ok.

FORD FOCUS STAINLESS STEEL 200 CELL 2"' HIGH FLOW SPORTS CAT CATALYTIC CONVETER

MY BLOG - http://westfieldv8.blogspot.co.uk/

cliftyhanger

posted on 20/8/14 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
It depends if you want a cat that works and lasts.....

Put it this way. I "weighed in" a cat from a scrap fiesta. As it was genuine, I was given 40 or so. If it was repro, I would have got 1

That 40 for the unrefined platinum is more than the US cat costs, there isn't going to be a lot of platinum or other useful metals in there........

fishywick

posted on 20/8/14 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
The Magnaflow cats seem to be well respected. I too put a 200cpi one on a 1.7 Puma and it has passed emissions for the last three years without any issues. It was around 90 although it was old stock that the local exhaust man had in.
40inches

posted on 20/8/14 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
I think this one 2.5” 63mm Centre Magnaflow 200 Cell CPSI Universal High Flow Sports Cat would be better, if you can get one in the States. The metal core is more robust then the ceramic one, I fitted this one to the MK for IVA, it actually passed at post 2002 emissions level.

blakep82

posted on 20/8/14 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
I think this one 2.5” 63mm Centre Magnaflow 200 Cell CPSI Universal High Flow Sports Cat would be better, if you can get one in the States. The metal core is more robust then the ceramic one, I fitted this one to the MK for IVA, it actually passed at post 2002 emissions level.

Yes! That was another I was originally looking at, $97 so almost half price. If you've got good things to say about it, I'll go for that one.
I'm after a Q plate, so may only need it for IVA, possibly not after... possibly will.

Points taken about it lasting however long, and everything in US seems to cost the same in dollars as it does here, so to me its unsurprising its cheap. Worth a shot to pass iva, then it doesnt need to be tested for 3 years anyway. Could even take it out and put it back for its first mot...

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

SteveWallace

posted on 20/8/14 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
I used a Magnaflow cat on the 1997 M52 BMW (2.8l straight 6) in my Viento and it sailed through the IVA emissions test with no problems at all.
40inches

posted on 20/8/14 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches

Yes! That was another I was originally looking at, $97 so almost half price. If you've got good things to say about it, I'll go for that one.
I'm after a Q plate, so may only need it for IVA, possibly not after... possibly will.

Points taken about it lasting however long, and everything in US seems to cost the same in dollars as it does here, so to me its unsurprising its cheap. Worth a shot to pass iva, then it doesnt need to be tested for 3 years anyway. Could even take it out and put it back for its first mot...

I have taken mine off now Blake.
Q plates are now definitely smoke only for MOT

splitrivet

posted on 20/8/14 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
I have one of those Blake works great bought it from the States thought it was a bargain till PO stung me for the duty admin charge then I found one I could get one on the bay from the UK for roughly the same money.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

blakep82

posted on 20/8/14 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers everyone, ordered the one 40inches posted, 65 quid.

I'm going to Dallas next week Bob, I'll just bring it home with me

splitrivet

posted on 21/8/14 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
Have a great time, just watch the windows in the book depository. If you get the chance call into a local harbor freight you wont be disapointed.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [ 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.