Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bolt too far into engine block?
pekwah1

posted on 8/10/14 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
Bolt too far into engine block?

Hi Guys,

I've been helping my mate with his Mondeo (because i have the same engine in my car).
He took a couple of bits off the side of the block (exhaust manifold, something at the bottom) and when he was putting them back on lost the bolts.
He decided to use whatever he had lying around (which i think were longer than standard).

There now seems to be an oil leak on the engine (which look suspiciously close to where he was working). Is it possible that by using longer bolts he has effectively wound them in through the sidewall of the engine creating an oil leak?

I'm not really sure myself so didn't want to worry him too much at this stage, but thought you lot would probably know.

If this is the case, is there anything you can do about it?

Oh, and it's a 2.0 blacktop Zetec in an old curvy mondeo.

Regards,
Andy

Is this a TRADE ADVERTISEMENT?? Click HERE to report it!

Jenko

posted on 8/10/14 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
Honest answer...if it's an old mondeo, it's probably not worth too much...so, unless you suspect the bolt is blocking an oil way, you could just leave it in situe. Im surprised the oil is managing to push it's way pased a tightened bolt, so worth checking for cracked block around area. Other option is to remove bolt, and put in smaller (length) bolt with some gasket sealant. Only worry is if damage has pushed some bits of metal into the oil way. Maybe do an oil and filter change at the same time.

MY BLOG - http://westfieldv8.blogspot.co.uk/

Dingz

posted on 8/10/14 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
Seem to remember in the head there are a couple which can break into an oilway, you will need to remove bolt and use a sealant on the thread. Problem is the bit of metal that has been broken off is in the oilway somewhere, hopefully it gets into the sump and sits quietly in the bottom!

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

pekwah1

posted on 8/10/14 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
Thought that might be the case....
I'll tell him he's a plonk and to get some sealant!

pewe

posted on 8/10/14 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
Different engine (Fiat/Lancia twink) but a couple of the bolts around the engine mount deffo went into and through the crankcase.
IIRC they were a taper thread i.e. self-sealing but a threadlock sealant on standard bolts sorted the leak.
HTH.
Cheers, Pewe10

Tatey

posted on 11/10/14 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
He can put a copper washer under the head of the bolt/between whatever he has bolted to the engine if he doesn't have anu suitable sealant. I know of one particular motorcycle engine which does this due to a poor design resulting in a tapping breaking through into the crankcase.
loggyboy

posted on 12/10/14 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
Reminds me of this thread. http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=165239

Mistral Motorsport

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.