Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Replacing Honeywell thermostat - plumbers/electricians help please
russbost

posted on 12/11/14 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
Replacing Honeywell thermostat - plumbers/electricians help please

Just moved my son into a house I've bought up in Leeds, the timer on the combi boiler is knackered & is very basic anyway. I was looking at replacing the existing Honeywell thermostat in the lounge with some form of programmer/thermostat instead to give full control of the heating. The existing unit is this

[img]
[/img]

[img]
[/img]

Most units seem to require mains power, which I'm not sure if I have (in terms of a live & a neutral) as the existing stat is basically just a switch, however some run on batteries like this one,

SALE!! Digital Room Thermostat / Programmer Volt Free

would something like that be best? - I don't have any mains sockets anywhere near the stat, if so which wires do I need from the Honeywell?

Or could I use something like this

Programmable LCD Underfloor Heating Digital Central Room Thermostat Button Green

in which case, where do I draw the power from & which wires would be the "load" - as you can see from the pics above the unit has red, blue & yellow wires going to it (I'm assuming there is a set protocol as to what they are connected to at the boiler - or is that naive?) & there is also a black wire, middle of LHS, not sure if that is part of the wiring or part of the honeywell unit. Unfortunately I'm in Essex rather than Leeds so unable to easily check what wire goes where & carrying what voltage etc. I can't make much sense of the little circuit diagram on the bottom of the inside of the unit (pictured). Considering all the existing stat does is connect or disconnect a circuit I'm a bit mystified as to why I have 3 wires (at least)?

Can anyone familiar with these things help me out please?

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
tegwin

posted on 12/11/14 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
If you wanted to fit a wireless one with fancy controls you can mount the recieved next to the boiler/time controls and then stick the room stat wherever you want...

In a normal well insulated house however, I would just replace it with a bog standard analogue thermostat and leave it be... How often does one need to change the temperature? (would be different if you had different heating zones in the house requiring multiple stats... )

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

britishtrident

posted on 12/11/14 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
If you already have wired room stat you can usually just replace it with a cheap digital programmable 7 day unit that will let you set different temps for different times and weekday or weekend. Very simple to do and it really means you can do without a fancy controller.
Commonly old style room stats were 230v powered having three connections: Live, Neutral and a Switched Normally Open (N.O.) Output. The neutral was needed because the room stat needed power to power itself.
Modern digital roomstats are battery powered (volt free) so only the Live and the N.O output wires are used on the new stat.

I replaced my basic Drayton Roomstat with Horstmann DRT2 an older model which was bought very cheaply off ebay as result we can leave the heating on over night having set a low overnight temperature that will only turn the heating on if it is unusually cold.

You can go wireless or not it is your choice but they way I saw it was a non-wireless unit had less to go wrong.

[Edited on 12/11/14 by britishtrident]

[Edited on 12/11/14 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

cliftyhanger

posted on 12/11/14 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
I am a fan of the digi programmable roomstats. As above, we just leave the heating on 365 days a year, with temp set for morning, daytime, eve and night. Yes, we are often at home daytime....

very simple to wire, batteries last years (as in 3 or so) and no faffing.

britishtrident

posted on 12/11/14 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
*NEW* HORSTMANN DRT2 PROGRAMMABLE ROOM THERMOSTAT

[/I]

russbost

posted on 12/11/14 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
Assuming it has been connected correctly does anyone know which of red blue yellow is live neutral & N.O.?

& am I correct in assuming that something like the Horstmann unit will simply have 2 wires which will be the live & N.O.?

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
gremlin1234

posted on 12/11/14 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/Sunvic/TLX.pdf
dhutch

posted on 12/11/14 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
Looking at replacing my old Drayton 'Digistat3' they seam to have reused the name for newer models but mine works.
- Morning, Day, Evening, and Night zones.
- Can the target temp and set start/end times for all four.
- And then set specific individual or week/weekend times on top of that.

It seems to be getting temperamental now, but just set it up and leave it to come on for an hour in the morning, and half an hour before I get home each day Mon-Fri with a lower temp during the day, and then weekends its on the lower 'Day' temp all day as I am normally out, if I am not, I manually increase it to a higher target temp.

My house is a ex-council semi which has been fairly comprehensively retro-insulated so its keeps heat well but is still a mile from beign good enough that maintaining a static temp 24h is sensible.

Needed a new battery when I moved in, but hasn't needed another i the last three years.

Daniel

big-vee-twin

posted on 12/11/14 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
This is the one I have

link

Usually a standard thermostat has L and N powering a small heater element to make them more sensitive then the no contacts are across the L and the third wire. Diagram here

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

russbost

posted on 12/11/14 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big-vee-twin
This is the one I have

Usually a standard thermostat has L and N powering a small heater element to make them more sensitive then the no contacts are across the L and the third wire. Diagram here

That explains a lot & now makes far more sense, I couldn't understand why you would have a resistor across the L & N terminals, but if that's a heating element it all makes sense, I now understand the wiring diagram which I didn't previously! I think I will go for a volt free unit, should make life fairly simple

britishtrident

posted on 12/11/14 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
Red & Yellow is all you require. Just insulate and protect the Blue Neutral.

Red is live and goes to L. On some diagrams labeled "Com".

Yellow goes to the Normally Open (N.O.). On some diagrams it is labeled "Call" as in call for heat.

Most thermostats can also be used to control air conditioning so you will find a "N.C." connector as well this can be ignored.

[/I]

lsdweb

posted on 12/11/14 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
We've used a Horstmann Centaurstat7 for years and it's been ultra reliable and only needed one battery in about 7 years. Easy to program although my wife can't do it!

Wyn

BenB

posted on 12/11/14 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
I can recommend the salus programmable units. Volt free and they do a nice wireless unit also. And they have a fancy blue backlight cheap too.
splitrivet

posted on 12/11/14 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
The Horstman stats are good we have never had a problem with ours but whatever you do dont buy a horstman motorised valve we've got through 4 in 3 years.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

slingshot2000

posted on 13/11/14 at 12:25 AM Reply With Quote
Just one comment,
If you or your son are doing this, please make sure you ISOLATE the electrical supply completely before doing any work on either end of the circuit.

There will be 240volts at that room-stat, and 240v AC does KILL !!

If you cannot be sure the circuit is isolated, ie; BOTH phases off; go to the main fuse-box/distribution board/consumer unit, and make sure everything is OFF!

Regards
Jon

stevebubs

posted on 13/11/14 at 03:14 AM Reply With Quote
Hive? £199 and everything done for you...
russbost

posted on 13/11/14 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
Great, thanx for all the info guys! Brilliant as ever!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.