Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: FS Atlas lathe, past its best but good for bushes etc, £75 and you collect
mark chandler

posted on 17/1/15 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
FS Atlas lathe, past its best but good for bushes etc, £75 and you collect

I have just purchased larger Harrison lathe so my little Atlas lathe is up for sale, these usually make £125 and upwards on eBay but the one coming was cheap so this one is on offer here at its scrap value, good quality chuck, single phase motor etc.

Here,s some pictures, hopefully this will work

atlas lathe

And a write up on them, I believe it's a 10F

http://www.lathes.co.uk/atlas/index.html

It could be up to 80 years old as an early white bearing model rather than Timken bearings, all the shims have been removed it has some end float as you would expect, leavering the chuck with a bar and DTI gauge no lateral movement.

The slides do show wear which cannot be adjusted out, this is mostly obvious working close to the chuck, you could address a lot of this by reversing the bed or moving the head up a couple of inches.

The lead screw reversing box is broken (very common) so only cuts towards the head or from the centre out on the work.

It has power slides including cross slide and a third cross slide, 24" bed with 5" swing.

The only screw cutting gears are installed, it also comes with a faceplate and a cast tray that it's sitting in.

Collection only at this price, it will not come with any tooling, I live near Newbury and it will happily go in the back of a car.

It is very heavy for one person but easily breaks down if required to carriable lumps.

In summary then a basic usable lathe, will not produce quality work anymore but for turning bushes and trimming stuff it's fine, with a bit of TLC and adjustment you could probally improve upon the accuracy

Regards Mark

[Edited on 17/1/15 by mark chandler]

Is this a TRADE ADVERTISEMENT?? Click HERE to report it!

SteveWalker

posted on 17/1/15 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
Tut, tut, tut - leaving the key in the chuck
loggyboy

posted on 17/1/15 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
So want this.... just need more space/less junk.

Mistral Motorsport

mark chandler

posted on 17/1/15 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
You will be surprised how often you use one when you have one, making tapped plugs for fitting rose joints into tube even lining up bar when welding to keep things true.

It's not even that large

Last thing I made on it was a puller for my supercharger, saving £100 by doing that !

I'm hoping to make new lift nuts for my two post lift with the next lathe, @ £140 a pop plus Vat it will almost pay for itself, bits and bobs soon add up when you have better tools.

Rosco86

posted on 17/1/15 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
So true!
wicket

posted on 17/1/15 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker
Tut, tut, tut - leaving the key in the chuck

You only do it once!!!! I still remember doing it 50+ years ago.

mark chandler

posted on 18/1/15 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
I did it at school and got whacked in the chest as it bounced off the bed, made hell of a noise and got told off but I think my white face lessened his anger.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.