Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: running out of LPG disaster
mk85

posted on 17/1/15 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
running out of LPG disaster

Well I have a Peugeot 205 on lpg. But the stations are can be a pain to find. Anyway am heading to fill up and yes it happened I ran out two miles away from the station. Now when I purchased the car he told me he had removed the petrol tank and injector loom when he converted it.

So I ring my break down and ask for a tow and was told it would cost me £140. I said not a chance I'd pay that for two miles.

Then the guy suggested I go buy a Jerry can and fill that. Again I told him it's a LPG gas system. Loooooong silent pause can't you fill it that way. So I hung up.

Then I had to improvise. Walked and bought a Jerry can of petrol and a bottle of water. Removed my wiper hose emptied the water bottle made a hole in the lid and fed the hose into the inlet. Filled the water bottle with petrol gave it a little squeeze turned the key plenty of throttle and wahooooo it ran.

Now am back on LPG

coyoteboy

posted on 17/1/15 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
Waterbottle carb?!

Slimy38

posted on 17/1/15 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
I didn't think you could have lpg only, how do you cold start it?
madteg

posted on 17/1/15 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
Forklifts only have LPG and start ok, I understand its because the lpg can freeze on cold mornings. They start on petrol to warm the heater on the vaporiser then switch to LPG.
trextr7monkey

posted on 18/1/15 at 12:58 AM Reply With Quote
There were 2 brothers in Stafford area who were in to LPG and Jagos the first conversion was dual fuel as in the fork lift example above. The second ran purely on log and was a daily runner. DVLA refused to recognise a pure LPG fuelled vehicle it was written off in an accident so we never heard the final outcome re road tax /V5
Atb
Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

mark chandler

posted on 18/1/15 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
With injection LPG they start easily, the problem is icing within the evaporator
mk85

posted on 18/1/15 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
When I start this I have a light the tells me when the system is primed. And I have the give the throttle pedal a little tap it's like an old carbed car. The only problem is the rest of the car it's done 430,000 miles and is ready for the scrap heap asap
rusty nuts

posted on 18/1/15 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
Reminds me of the time the fuel pump on my Mini packed up , I was in Lowestoft on a Sunday , for those not old enough to remember everywhere was shut on Sunday's, I managed to connect the windscreen washer hoses to the fuel line and the carb and by operating the manual pump got home to Cambridge a trip of around 90miles
jollygreengiant

posted on 18/1/15 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Reminds me of the time the fuel pump on my Mini packed up , I was in Lowestoft on a Sunday , for those not old enough to remember everywhere was shut on Sunday's, I managed to connect the windscreen washer hoses to the fuel line and the carb and by operating the manual pump got home to Cambridge a trip of around 90miles

Rusty, that's about the same distance as my Dad did in his Spitfire one day. He switched from reserve to main tank but the main tank didn't kick in. The BIG difference between you and my Dad was it wasn't a Triumph Spitfire BUT a SUPERMARINE Spitfire and he was at 20000 feet over Sicily AND he had to get back to MALTA. :O
He used the same principle though. By the time he got down to about 1500 feet he worked out that he could use the KI-Gas primer in the cockpit to pump fuel straight from the main tank into the inlets and that was enough to just allow him to gain airspeed and height until he got back to Malta so long as he kept pumping with his right hand (which should have been on the column) and used his left hand for the control column.

[Edited on 18/1/15 by jollygreengiant]

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

benchmark51

posted on 18/1/15 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
I have recently bought a Transit minibus which has been lpg/petrol vehicle from new. It was originally a NHS amulance with wheelchair lift etc.
It has a 2.3 litre dohc 16v (145hp) engine which runs very well. The lpg side of things are a bit tempremental. I usually start on petrol and run til
warm and then switch over to lpg, usually getting a misfire so I switch back and alls well. After doing this several times it will run on lpg ok. Sometimes
it switches over ok and will run all day with no problem. It even ran on lpg from cold on a frosty morning for about 10 minutes then misfired a bit till I
switched over to petrol. With a local garage selling lpg at 57p a litre and the fact that it runs very well the intermittant running problem is well worth
sorting. The link below has useful info on installers, lpg stations etc.

http://www.drivelpg.co.uk/

splitrivet

posted on 18/1/15 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
Did the reverse years ago me and a guy were working in Huntingdon and we ran out of petrol, neither of us had any money with us (we both thought the other had). We always carried a bottle of propane on the motor for brazing so connected that and drove back home turning the bottle up and down for more speed.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

Rod Ends

posted on 18/1/15 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
Seem to recall in an emergency you could fill a LPG tank using Calor gas with an adapter hose.
talkingcars

posted on 18/1/15 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
Nice one MK85.

There is a forum at www.lpgforum.co.uk which has a good mix of pro and DIY fitters.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.